By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 60gig B/C surviving owners

The_God_of_War said:

Huh. Funny timing. Looks like I now have the flashing red lights of death or it's just overheated. It turned itself off twice, I'll leave it for a while then try again.

Edit: turns out it's YLOD. Looks like I'll be picking up a 250GB on Monday. Only problem is that MAG is stuck in the YLOD'd PS3...I was able to turn it on for a few seconds after the first time it switched off, I should have used that window of opportunity to eject the disc.

Flip the rear power switch off, hold the eject button when you flip the power switch back on. Keep holding it and the fan should run at max speed and your console will force eject any disc in the drive.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
The_God_of_War said:

Huh. Funny timing. Looks like I now have the flashing red lights of death or it's just overheated. It turned itself off twice, I'll leave it for a while then try again.

Edit: turns out it's YLOD. Looks like I'll be picking up a 250GB on Monday. Only problem is that MAG is stuck in the YLOD'd PS3...I was able to turn it on for a few seconds after the first time it switched off, I should have used that window of opportunity to eject the disc.

Flip the rear power switch off, hold the eject button when you flip the power switch back on. Keep holding it and the fan should run at max speed and your console will force eject any disc in the drive.

Thanks but I've been trying that- and the hairdryer trick- with no success. I'll try again, maybe keep it held down for longer. The worst case scenario is that I buy another copy of MAG which will hardly break the bank.

Edit- I did it again and it worked. The disc ejected, the fan went nuts and now it seems normal. Thanks greenmedic, I probably wouldn't have tried it again if not for your suggestion

I have 60GB PS3, paid $500

Manufactured January 2007, bought it brand new out of box in August 2007.

I have never had any problems with it, still works fine.

Bought my 60Gb PS3 of a person I found through Craigslist.org. He sold it to me for $420 on October 2007. He told me he was selling it to buy a Wii. He purchased cash it on July 2007 for $500 from a gamestop store. (receipt is on the box)

A month later, it was not accepting my disks for some reason. I believe the drive thought that there was a disk inside, but there wasn't. After some online research, I learned to reset the drive by holding the eject button. I don't remember the details, but it worked. Didn't have a problem since, other than it froze on me a few times playing Uncharted.

Recently changed the thermal compound. Glad I did. I love my baby, though I don't play with it as much as I would like.

Have a PAL 60gig BC bought on the day of release.

Still runs well and its on for a good 5+ hours a day, although it does freeze and crash from overheating every now and again.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Around the Network

I had a 60GB PS3 that I paid 630 euros for in March 2007 the European release date. It YLOD on me in august of last year and I got it replaced with an 80 GB PS3. Wasn't very happy about it YLOD but at least I got 2 and a half years out of it and the amount of time I played it I definitly got my moneys worth

Bought 1st september 2007....it failed alredy 2 times, but the warrantee was still valid

Bought at Launch.
Paid $599.99.
Still works, knock on hard plastic casing.

Got my 60gb April 2007 for $700 (with guaranty) and it has worked perfectly fine till now...i use it about 3 times a week and i've let folding@home allot...specially when there were no games for it :P

Frozen a few times but still kicking !

Used 60Gig full B/C. Still works and whisper silent.

bought in 2008. $400

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5