By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

My prediction using logic. The 360 will outsell the PS3 by a very big margin. The reasons being the tarnished image it now has. Also a very lacklustre software lineup where not 1 title has the appeal that will entice buyers who were not gonna buy a PS3 anyway.

Around the Network
MikeB said:

@ Lost tears of Kain 

PGR4 (640p): "Whilst this wasn't a problem for our dev team, it was a problem fitting all this data onto a single DVD."

"According to Game Informer, nearly every developer they talked to at X05 expressed difficulties fitting their launch titles onto a single disc."

Game Informer Sony fanboys or genuine worries?

In the years ahead of us we will see developers more and more struggle against DVD limitations and sadly this will affect the potential quality of multiplatform 360/PS3 titles. This really isn't surprising considering later PS2 games already pushed the limits of DVD, the 360 is powerful enough to push games much further and thus make them more demanding. What is really surprising though is that people like shams have never heard of these issues, but I'm happy I could be of service to you guys.

I agree. But is it to late?. Most devhouses will be firmly in the xbox camp after this fall. Can a few 1st party games make the difference?. With the very small number of PS3 exclusives I think the issue becomes an irrelevence.

Another survey this time for the UK (aged 25 to 34, there wasn't distinguished between gender):

Energizer’s top ten gadgets this year are:

1. High-Definition TV
2. Nintendo Wii
3. Laptop
4. Satellite navigation system
5. Digital camera
6. Nintendo DS Lite
7. Sony PS3
8. iPod/MP3 player
9. Mobile phone
10. Digital radio

Again it looks like the PS3 is more desirable than the XBox 360.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ dishdash

With the very small number of PS3 exclusives I think the issue becomes an irrelevence.

Actually with games like Gran Turismo 5, Killzone 2, White Knight Story, Final Fantasy XIII and many other games coming I think this is of huge relevance for the coming years, it's still so very early in this next gen race. The XBox 360 was given a headstart, the Wii took a sprint right out of the gate, but this marathon is far from over.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Back on Topic:

The PS3 versus the 360 this holiday is going to be really close. Well, actually, the PS3 has beat the 360 ww for two weeks, but we'll see if Mass Effect will change all of that (I read it had "disappointing" sales somewhere on this site). But with UT3 being the last console exclusive (out on PC) out on the PS3, it could help them in December while Microsoft has nothing out, and the Wii will have Wii Fit out, but we'll have to see if Japan bites.

Around the Network

@ Final-Fan

Why is CoD4's short campaign evidence of DVD's shortcomings, when some PS3-exclusive games are also very short?

Short for different reasons, with PS3 games they first need to built up their game engine and regarding new games game mechanics. Sequels will get bigger without sacrificing game quality (sound and texture quality). Compare this with PS2 games which aimed high like Jak & Daxter (new IP, later games were much bigger) or God of War (big game but took 3 years to complete, part 2 was bigger and better taking less development time).

PS3 vs 360 sales

Since when did this thread become about comparing the graphics of multiplatform titles?

Back on topic, so far sales for 360 and PS3 are about even when you start measuring at the start of November. Can't wait for this weeks US numbers which hopefully go up tonight.

koffieboon said:
Since when did this thread become about comparing the graphics of multiplatform titles?

Back on topic, so far sales for 360 and PS3 are about even when you start measuring at the start of November. Can't wait for this weeks US numbers which hopefully go up tonight.

% wise the gap between the 360 and the PS3 will be closer, in total volume it will be greater :o)

Just_Ben said:
koffieboon said:

% wise the gap between the 360 and the PS3 will be closer, in total volume it will be greater :o)

Personally I find the percentage a lot more important. If the eventual difference ends up being small percentage wise we won't be able to decide which console ended up selling the most when taking the margin of error into account.

dishdash said:
My prediction using logic. The 360 will outsell the PS3 by a very big margin. The reasons being the tarnished image it now has. Also a very lacklustre software lineup where not 1 title has the appeal that will entice buyers who were not gonna buy a PS3 anyway.

I know!! I mean, every single XBOX360 sold is garunteed to fail, I mean, how tarnished COULD your image be!? (http://www.crn.com.au/News/55747,microsoft-facing-us115bn-xbox-360-repair-bill.aspx

Wait... You ment the PS3? What on earth has the PS3 done to tarnish its image more then the certificate you get in the box with the 360 saying you are going to have it die? To not even drop this to the level of console bashing, Im failing to see how your statement has any logic to back it up, the Xbox360 might be the most faulty console made in the history of home consoles, and you state that the PS3 somehow has an image that is worse then that and use that as the basis for saying the 360 will outsell the PS3 by a fair margin, which is already being proven false in the numbers for this week, it could actually outsell the 360 for what? A 3rd week world wide? 

Ugh, Im not sure why Im even posting this, its not like it'll go anywhere.

As for the topic, I think the 360 will outsell the PS3 this season, but only by a very, very slim margin.