By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Race is on - 360 vrs PS3 (holiday '07)

Lynn said:
The PS3 may beat the 360 in Hardware by the end of this gen (maybe) but they will not even come close in software.

i dont think anything will beat 360 in software,who knows even with less hardware it might pass ps2 in software

Around the Network
leo-j said:
WEWdeadeye said:
MikeB said:
@ WEWdeadeye

he complains about people not listening to HIS arguments and/or not responding to some of them...hmmm

I think I have been the most responsive in this thread, addressing almost any of the comments. What have I missed? If you don't want to derail this thread any further feel free to send me a private message.

Last time I checked, you are the one who COMPLETELY derailed this entire thread with all your mumblings about cell, developers for PS3, and all this other BS you have been posting with 2,3,4 posts in a row.  Seriously, me posting one post about how oblivious you are, and then you responding with "would you like to not derail this thread", just proves my point.  Can you not see two feet in front of you?  This thread is officially a JOKE because of YOU!!  The funniest thing is, you are still so clueless, you are probably going to quote me, and then refute my complaints about YOU, using 3-4 posts in a row, each filled with Sony PR, developers quotes, online surveys you find off sites like Wikipedia, and technical analysis of TeH CeLL!!

No 3rd party game has ever used the cell.

and you know this how

MikeB said:
@ Legend11

QA manager Preston Thorne: "We pushed the 360 to the limits".

What this really just shows, is to not take Epic's statements seriously. Too many 100% conflicting statements.

UT3 on 360 looks better then GeOW on 360

Isn't the QA manager basically the person in charge of game testing/testers and has nothing to do with the actual programming/design of the game other than possibly writing code that fixes game bugs? I guess his opinion trumps that of the game's lead designer.

MikeB said:
@ NJ5

MikeB, since you think that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in this Christmas, please tell me from which week (approximately) you're expecting that to start happening.

A lot of factors are out of my hands, I think the release of UT3 on the PS3 will see a significant impact on US sales. But I also think if the game was a XBox 360 exclusive running at a lower quality than the PS3 version does it would result in higher review scores for US media, I honestly believe most US media aren't past their made up negative grudge against the PS3 just yet (and too much fanboyism towards the unreliable XBox 360).

Uncharted and R&C TOD could easily have been rated much higher (if compared to XBox 360 ratings) for example, they are technically the most impressive games currently available on the market (very reduced loading times, best graphics, extremely well polished). Sixaxis usage in these games add very well to the experience and unlike some reviewer claims it doesn't take a rocket scientist to control Ratchet and Tornados simultaneously, at least I do it with ease (and I and my girlfriend had no troubles with simple and cheap little game Super Ruba Dub neither, referring to a rather destructive IGN review).

even though UT3 is releasing on ps3 it will sell the most on pc and plus mass effect is a bigger system seller then that so i think 360 will win this year then 2008 will probably be the year were ps3 sells more then 360(only that year though,because i dont think it will pass it in total)

Around the Network

@ Legend11

He made some pretty inaccurate technical statements regarding the PS3 as well, I think it's funny people now want to downplay his comments with regard to other things, but when it suits their wishes put things in the face of every PS3 supporter.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
I hope you don't mind me picking out just some of your comments to address, as you've made quite a few. (Sometimes people in here get upset and angry if I don't address each and every sentence. )

Because you have a tendency of ignoring things when it suits you. 

Then these sorts of people cant understand why no one takes their opinion seriously, or why people call them biased. Not that I'm suggesting you're some sort of delusional fanboy who wolfs down meaningless PR by the truckload and fails to see the irony of his own posts. 

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

MikeB said:
@ NJ5

MikeB, since you think that the PS3 will outsell the 360 in this Christmas, please tell me from which week (approximately) you're expecting that to start happening.

A lot of factors are out of my hands, I think the release of UT3 on the PS3 will see a significant impact on US sales.

According to this thread, UT3 ships on the 10th of December, with three weeks left until the end of the year.

@sieanr: Lol at the avatar.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

MikeB said:
@ Lost tears of Kain

Its possible to acheive, but when?

It's happening stepswise because legacy game engines aren't easily broken into parts, audio processing was the first relatively easy step, now with games like Unchated and Ratchted and Clank: TOD devs have moved a great diversity of processes onto the Cell's SPEs.

AC is better on the 360 easily, take a look at comparision videos

I think you are referring to the color scheme, for full color you will have to enable Full Range RGB on the PS3 (only if your TV supports Deep Color though!). On the PC games were and are mostly reviewed and judged on maximum settings (Such as Crysis), this doesn't appear to be the case for the PS3, not that you need to upgrade your PS3 to get maximum results, you need to upgrade your display and audio setup to achieve that.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28006.html

How many people actually have that. you can easily see the difference in that video, take a look at 1:51 in that video

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
MikeB said:
@ Adam540

Don't you think that it was entirely pointless to use the Cell then. What's the point in putting in a chip that the majority of Developers are going to have trouble with. Why not just use something they are familiar with and won't cost you a fortune to develop/produce.

Because the PS3 should last a decade and the potential gains are enormous and a great long term differentiation. The Cell best suits the PS3's long term aim targetting HD resolutions and the most technically impressive games.

In a couple of years with the PS3 becoming cheap enough for almost everyone and most likely offering by far the most impressive games I think most Playstation fans will be happy with setting the initial specs high enough. Kids who cannot afford a PS3 right now may be upset, but IMO the PS2 still is a good option and lots of games are available at budget pricing for the system.

not the 10 year plan again.........../sigh

ive seen it all from this

btw LOL at sieanr's avatar LOL

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.