By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think God Of War 3 will outsell Mass Effect 2?

mOeR-rpGee said:
Wagram said:
mOeR-rpGee said:
Wagram said:
I think it will. But IMO M.E.2 is the better game.

not surprising comming from a guy with a ff8 avatar.

Yeah, it shouldn't be suprising since I OWN and have played both games. Not to mention Platinumed one and 1000Gd the other.

i was questioning you taste since you have a squall avatar (the most pathetic and boring character in rpg history)... ff8 would have been something great if they had that beautiful bastard named laguna as the lead and not that emotionally retarded punk.

This

Around the Network
jbrist said:
yo_john117, your sig is bugging the hell out of me, Kratos' tattoo is completely wrong, it goes down the wrong side of the body...

Lol don't worry its near the end of the month so I will be changing it very soon.

The question should be; "Will GOW III double ME2s LTD sales?".

I think yes... to the ^above question. Does it deserve to?... I think so.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

gekkokamen said:
the only thing these two games have in common is that both are sequel that are very much the same as the previous games. But in ME2 case, critics didn't seem to bring that up that much (that is the same) than they did with GoW3. Sales wise? GOW is a bigger franchise than ME, even though ME involves shooting that goes well with its target audience. Maybe they should include Multiplayer for ME3, that would do it....

Bah, that's bull. Mass Effect is a significant improvement on its predecessor, and I don't mean graphically. The core gameplay changed vastly, as did the gameflow and most importantly, the driving sequences that were removed. Critics didn't bring it up much because you made it up.

As for which is the bigger franchise, I'd be willing to bet the Mass Effect franchise is as big as the GoW franchise across all platforms, if not bigger, and it certainly would be bigger, if it was also on the PS3, simply because Mass Effect 2 is an excellent RPG and one of the best games developed this generation, and not simply a rehash franchise reboot with graphics as its selling point.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Mass Effect 2 better than it's predecessor is an under statement.

Around the Network

^^When the ME franchise bests GOWs 12 odd million total sales, then yes it could someday... than again, probably not.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

yes, i am actually really surprised in the drop of sales for mass effect, i though word of mouth would sky rocket the game, but i guess it probably got overrun by all the other releases

Mass Effect 2 deserves to do Halo 3 numbers

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

HanzoTheRazor said:
The question should be; "Will GOW III double ME2s LTD sales?".

I think yes... to the ^above question. Does it deserve to?... I think so.

The sales of Mass Effect 2 are spread out across two platforms. It is not a fair comparison to compare the sales of the 360 version only, to GoWIII.

Your next point, you have a valid right to your opinion, but IMO, there really is no comparison. GoWIII is an action game with a fair bit of presentational appeal, and graphics as a selling point, like Avatar. Mass Effect is an epic RPG which tops its genre in all time standing, and will probably take home the most GotY awards in 2010, like The Hurt Locker.

Sure, by comparison, THL bombed, but I still laugh my ass off when I hear people complain that Avatar was a better film. It just totally the opposite of what my admittedly elitists tastes lead me to promote. IMO, Mass Effect 2 is what GoWIII could be, if it had the same gameplay and scripted experiences, spread out into a 50 hour game, with a far better story, and much deeper RPG elements.

The story alone, in ME2, will stay with me forever, and GoWIII will be forgotten with the next big exclusive(or the next GoW game). To me, there are "play and move-on" games, like God of War, Mario Brothers, and Pong. Amazing games. Couldn't live without them. However, there are also timeless games, like Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time, and The Legend of Zelda.

These timeless games have gameplay that can stand up to their "play and forget" rivals, but they also have an added element of exploration, open-worldness, story, ect, that takes much more development time to impliment. They might lack in graphics compared to high end graphics focused experiences, but they make up for it in functionality and size(IE Fallout 3). They give you freedom to explore the game in your own way while maintaining the scripted events that push so much of the immersion forward.

A valid comparison to me, again, is movies. I loved The Hangover. It was great fun, and it was hilarious, but a scripted genre comedy, no matter how good, can never compare in my mind, to The Godfather. It doesn't make me angry when I hear these comparisons, but it does make me have very elitist and unfortunate thoughts.

Who cares though, some people think Big Mama's House 2 is better than The Godfather. Its subjective.

What isn't subjective is sales, and the fact that its unfair to compare the single platform sales of a multiplatform game, with sales of an exclusive, that's ignorant or bias everytime, so which is it?

Let's talk about "deserve" for a minute. IMO, Mass Effect deserves every sale it gets on PC and 360, and its success doesn't deserve the spin in this thread by Sony fans, attempting to marginalize the fact that the PC version also sold copies, copies that weren't sold on the 360 because the game was readily available on 2 consoles. No game deserves that, and spin, no matter which direction, is an insult to my intelligence.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Yes, looks like it had a higher opening and Mass Effect 2 sales dropped quite fast. We'll see how well God of War 3 does in the following weeks. Pretty pointless question though...kinda self explanatory.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix!