By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII American second week sales

GamerExclusive said:
mrstickball said:
There are 2 reasons why the X360 version would have better legs:

1) More Xbox 360's in America
2) Less saturation among Xbox 360 users

Its not unexpected. The big question is if it beats the PS3 in the longer run.

Quick question, do you think FFXIII on 360 can reach 2 million? What do you believe is the number that will make SE feel going multiplat was worth it.

I think that it'll be very close to 2 million. It had a 660k first week (combined), and should have between a 3-4x multiplier. The real question is if it gets changed due to NPD changes at the EoM.

As long as FFXIII hits 1 million, I think the port was justified. Now, justification for the port is difference from it being an indicator if Square will do the same with other major series in the future. If it can hit 2 million in a reasonable time period (this year), I think the chances are higher that Square will consider future multi-plat titles.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
GamerExclusive said:
mrstickball said:
There are 2 reasons why the X360 version would have better legs:

1) More Xbox 360's in America
2) Less saturation among Xbox 360 users

Its not unexpected. The big question is if it beats the PS3 in the longer run.

Quick question, do you think FFXIII on 360 can reach 2 million? What do you believe is the number that will make SE feel going multiplat was worth it.

I think that it'll be very close to 2 million. It had a 660k first week (combined), and should have between a 3-4x multiplier. The real question is if it gets changed due to NPD changes at the EoM.

As long as FFXIII hits 1 million, I think the port was justified. Now, justification for the port is difference from it being an indicator if Square will do the same with other major series in the future. If it can hit 2 million in a reasonable time period (this year), I think the chances are higher that Square will consider future multi-plat titles.

Interesting, what i mean is that 1 million extra sales couldve been achieved on the PS3 if they kept it exclusive, plus they wouldve had more support from Sony. But yeah, sorry im making you answer again but what effect do you think the games 360 sales will have on SEs future policy?

scorptile said:
give it a month and it will be gone from teh top ten while NSMBWII stays in the top ten for months to come. FF13 in my opinion will be done within the month. I still think if square wanted really awesome sales for months on end they need to make a different FF series and not use these 3D type engines and go back to the 2D stuff but make it to the point where its a mixture of the two as in graphics but gameplay like back in the day. i mean look at how many people still buy the original 6 games. can you imagine playing a brand new FF in teh style of the old ones? but using particles and shadows and just great looking graphics to tell the stories and such? i mean look at cut scenes which i think would be awesome if they did that. or instead of having such small characters have more detailed bigger characters. i know everyone that is a sony fanboy is drooling over FF13 and versus but cmon stop thinking sony is the greatest in the history of videogames and start thinking how great it would be to have a game appeal to everyone and sell like hot cakes. it is possible.

What does NSMBWII have to do in here?(and all of those things you wrote there?)

GOW3 came the week after, i think.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

This game has some decent legs for a jrpg.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Great legs so far.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I think its largely because the 360 has a larger userbase and probably got a larger percentage of the JRPG casuals.

For example I bought the game in the second week on the 360 and I don't by many JRPGs (I buy a lot of WRPGs) but all the people I know that bought it, got it on the ps3 and got it on the first day. They've been playing JRPGs for over a decade.

Yes I know its anecdotal evidence but I seem to remember ioi saying that the 360 was getting a slightly more casual audience hence why despite the first day sales the 360 made up some ground as the first week went on.

ps3 owners have/had a lot to buy/play this year.. that could be another reason ps3 sales dropped faster. i mean xbox only had mass effect i think so far? i know im playing lots of games on my ps3 (ff13 also tho).

psrock said:

just what I was thinking.

were there any fairly major launches on X360 between the first and second week of FFXIII?

GOW3 could have made a slight dent in the numbers.

but that way lies madness when trying to extrapolate the long term effects of GOW3 on PS3 FFXIII based on how close they released to each other

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
psrock said:

just what I was thinking.

were there any fairly major launches on X360 between the first and second week of FFXIII?

GOW3 could have made a slight dent in the numbers.

but that way lies madness when trying to extrapolate the long term effects of GOW3 on PS3 FFXIII based on how close they released to each other

and then there is also a shortage of ps3s so if someone was waiting till now when all these games come out they might not be able to get it and then not buy any of it.  Not a huge contributer but I'm sure it's not nothing either.