By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii Sales? A wakeup call?

With 45 Million PS2s sold the PS2 only sold 984,598 pieces of software
With 16 Million Nintendo DS' sold the DS only sold 830,485 pieces of software
With 10 Million PSP systems sold the PSP only sold 323,307 pieces of software

The fact of the matter is that most gamers are not obesessive enough to buy more than a couple games a year; if they own a system long enough (say 5 years) they will end up with a library of 20 or so games. Systems which have reached a mainstream market rarely have a (particularly) strong attach rate ...

Around the Network

Kwaad said AAAA

No one will beat Halo 3 sales opening week ... well ... maybe Halo 4.

Microsoft is moving software most definitely, and not just AAA games.

But Mario Galaxy is the fastest selling Mario in NA, what more do you want? I admit it is underperforming in Japan. But ... Japan has lost its collective mind. They need to get their act together and start the uptake of current-gen systems. The PS3 is finally performing like a console should in Japan.

Yojimbo said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Even with a post like this, people will still love him.

That being said, I find it odd that people STILL think that Mario Galaxy will outsell Halo.
Who said Galaxy will outsell Halo 3?

A lot of people. There was an entire thread about it. Or perhaps it was SSBB.

Please provide me with the long list of high profile titles doing over 1M first week in the US Kwaad to show how badly SMG has done.

Actually, I know several people who have purchased a wii, but they are not in use. They are saving them for their kids for Christmas. There are probably far less sold 360s that are being saved for Christmas.

Around the Network

Well you have a couple o good points there IMO . People think that the PS3 attach ratio is awfull , but they forget that the PS3 still didnt reached the 6 million , while the Wii and 360 passed the 14 and 13 million mark . Bundled games are making a false scene to , while in the case of the PS3 in the US this is clearly not an issue . People also tend to forget that the PS3 is still 400$ in its cheapest form , and games are priced at 60 $ ( true the 360 games are at the same price to ) , while Wii games are 50$ and many droped a lot , especially 3rd party games .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Casuals won't buy 30 games. Harcore players will. Period.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Kwaad said:

I'm not doom saying the Wii, but As I see it now, Nintendo is getting their asses handed to them by microsoft.

Ok I think that's taking it a bit far. N has been raking in cash from day 1 of Wii's release whereas MS has been haemoraging it with 360.

I do agree though that in terms of attracting 3rd parties Wii is still in 2nd place and until software sales start to consistently beat 360's then this will remain the case. I do think it won't take too long to happen though as even if Wii's attach rate continues to significantly trails 360's it will have so many consoles out there that it won't matter. 

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

I find it funny that people are actually getting offended by a Kwaad post.

I just own a Wii, and I too am worried about the low attach rate for "real" games. Yes, the arguments for including the two games (outside Japan) are valid, but it looks to me like there are two audiences with me: "super-casual", which never buy any games after Sports, Play and one bad movie tie-in, and me, who buys all the first-party games. It's like Gamecube, but disguised. In this respect, Microsoft stands to make a lot of money in the future from massive third-party game sales, while Nintendo will calm to near-Gamecube profits after the hardware, uh, "fad", is over.

Sales of Wii Fit, MKWii and SSBB will deterime if the super-casual audience ever buys games. If not, it looks like I'll have to buy 10,000 copies of Advance Wars DS 2 to persuade them to continue with core franchises.

Ubuntu. Linux for human beings.

If you are interested in trying Ubuntu or Linux in general, PM me and I will answer your questions and help you install it if you wish.