By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 250gb HD on sale on Amazon.com

Vetteman94 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Vetteman94 said:
greenmedic88 said:
Vetteman94 said:
I dont see how is it that expensive? it comes with a data transfer kit, which makes transfering data easy. Its not easy to do this on a PS3, I know, I've done it 3 times already. The small addtional cost for, the hassle free experience of the data transfer, alone makes it worth it. Plus it literally takes 5 seconds to uninstall the old one and install the new one. Again hassle free.

Stop making a big deal out of nothing. Microsoft made it easy on the everyday consumer to swap out HDs, and for that convienence you will pay a little more for it. I for one see no problem with that

And there you have it: a logical reason for paying a premium for a proprietary HDD.

Personally, I'd rather pay a lot less for twice the storage space, even at the cost of a chunk of idle time required to back up and restore data, but the MS method is the least painless for its premium cost.

Maybe the only complaint should be why MS didn't just skip selling the same size drive available in bundles and just sell 500GB drives instead. Of course that would only reduce the perceived value of 250GB SKU bundles and a lot more consumers would likely do the "build your own" $199 Arcade + $129 500GB HDD.

Exactly,  plus there is a hidden cost for the PS3 way of doing it.   The cost of the backup source.  My 8GB flash drive was not big enough for my back file the last 2 times I swapped out a PS3 HDD.  I had to go buy an external HDD,  that cost me about $80.  Otherwise I would have had to delete everything on my hard drive and re download everything. 

The PS3 option is for those who can use a screwdriver and have an external HDD, assuming they want to back up their entire drive, which isn't necessary.

If you go off the minimum, game saves are the only thing you'd need to back up. PSN games would be the second thing, which can always be downloaded again. Backing up demos seems a bit anal, and as for media; you'd generally have to do that for any media stored on any computer if you didn't want to risk losing it. Beyond that, the only real headache you save yourself with a full back up is the process of reinstalling any of your games.

But the external HDD can be used for other things when you're done transferring. The only value left in an Xbox 360 HDD after it's been upgraded is whatever you can sell it for on Ebay.

Its not necessary, that is true, but for someone like myself that has bought about 40 PSN games and all 20+ episodes of Qore, plus all of the DLC I have bought for each of my 75+ bluray games. Being able to transfer everything easily can be bliss. Because it saves the hassle of spending the next 3-5 days re downloading and reinstalling everything again. 

And just having an external HDD isnt good enough,  it needs to be the correct format, the PS3 wont read it otherwise.  So if you have been using it for other things, and its not in the correct format, you will either have to reformat the external HDD or setup a partition.  The latter is pretty easy but probably not that easy to do for the average consumer who "knows how to use a screwdriver".  

Any FAT32 HDD is readable, which is pretty much every off the shelf Windows compatible HDD. NTFS formatted HDDs are not standard among boxed drives.

Regardless, it's not unreasonable to assume that the vast majority of people who have swapped out an internal drive from a computer know how to format a drive. Don't make it sound harder than it is.

Most consumers would rather have more drive space for less money. That's really not even an opinion.

Around the Network

I don't care what you guys say. I'm getting one! My 60gb is full!

My girlfriend just ordered one for my B-day. 20gb was getting filled up.

This morning, I went to Wal-Mart and bought an 8GB Memory Stick Duo from Sony for $50. $130 for 250GB of memory doesn't look so bad anymore.

d21lewis said:
This morning, I went to Wal-Mart and bought an 8GB Memory Stick Duo from Sony for $50. $130 for 250GB of memory doesn't look so bad anymore.

This.

While I can get 1TB drive for this price, its not so bad when Sony does the same thing, 100x worse.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-Stick-Media-MSMT32G/dp/B002TOL3QA/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270051297&sr=1-19

I can't stock up my PSP how I like without the pain I use to have with the Wii before the SD card update.

I own all of lastgen systems as of October 2008. (Finally got a Dreamcast)

I own every currentgen system except PS3.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
heywoodjablome said:
its too expensive. 360 owners know that. but they don't want to lose the argument that it's too expensive so they keep arguing...RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!! still too expensive. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!

if 360 owners are willing to pay why are PS3 owners saying its too expensive?

I mean, if one bought a PS3 tobegin with...saying something else is "too expensive" is kind of ironic no?

oh my god..

mM
Vetteman94 said:
I dont see how is it that expensive? it comes with a data transfer kit, which makes transfering data easy. Its not easy to do this on a PS3, I know, I've done it 3 times already. The small addtional cost for, the hassle free experience of the data transfer, alone makes it worth it. Plus it literally takes 5 seconds to uninstall the old one and install the new one. Again hassle free.

Stop making a big deal out of nothing. Microsoft made it easy on the everyday consumer to swap out HDs, and for that convienence you will pay a little more for it. I for one see no problem with that

And then if you pop your old hard drive and transfer cable separately on eBay or Craigslist you can make $20-40 each, even more if your old hard drive 60 or 120gb, making the upgrade quite cheap once you reach the net cost.

Back when 120gb drives were the max, I bought one for $120 on sale, sold my 20gb and transfer cable for a combined $80 so the 120gb was only $40.

Mint said:
d21lewis said:

This.

While I can get 1TB drive for this price, its not so bad when Sony does the same thing, 100x worse.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Memory-Stick-Media-MSMT32G/dp/B002TOL3QA/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270051297&sr=1-19

I can't stock up my PSP how I like without the pain I use to have with the Wii before the SD card update.

You know, I didn't even consider Amazon.com.  I went to Wal-Mart to buy "Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths" on Blu-Ray and figured I'd grab a new card.  The cheap-ass San Disk Memory sticks were sold out and anything less than 8gb was a waste of money.  I could have saved almost half the price if I'd have gone online!!

Off topic: Why the hell is there such a difference in the cost of memory sticks?  They're the exact same weight and they're the size of a fingernail.  Are they packed with gold or something?  You HAVE to have them but either the big ones are overpriced or the little ones are underpriced.

d21lewis said:

Off topic: Why the hell is there such a difference in the cost of memory sticks?  They're the exact same weight and they're the size of a fingernail.  Are they packed with gold or something?  You HAVE to have them but either the big ones are overpriced or the little ones are underpriced.

What you're paying for is the latest compression technology. Once they've made their money on the 32 GB, they'll release a 64 GB and drop the price on the 32s. The top model or 2 is always the most expensive for this reason.

Back to the topic itself, yes, there is a premium on the 360's HDD. But it's not as bad as the Sony fans would want to make it. Quick shopping around tells me that I can get a 2.5" 250 GB drive for about $50 (plus shipping), and an enclosure would be about another $15. So I'm at half the retail. However, Microsoft does not use bargain-basement drives in their enclosures; they use ones with better error correction. That'll add to the price. Then you need to factor in things like ease of swapping, (Yes, most of us here could do it, but there are a lot of computer-illiterates out there who would freak at the thought of changing their own HDD or even installing RAM.) the transfer cable, and current pricing structures, and suddenly the price doesn't seem so bad. Sure, MS could afford to come down in price some. But they don't need to yet.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

^^^Thanks for explaining, dunno001! I don't like it but I understand, now.