graphics than Uncharted..." /> graphics than Uncharted..." /> graphics than Uncharted..." /> graphics than Uncharted..." />
By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Cliffy B says "Your going down" to naughtydog (About graphics)

CGI-Quality said:
nightsurge said:
thekitchensink said:
Personally, I'd say Quantic Dream's the one to beat now, but the new version of the Unreal engine might be up to the task.

Really?  I haven't played Uncharted 2 yet, but I really was not impressed at all with Heavy Rain's graphics.  I loved the game as a whole, but the graphics and animations were lacking in quite a few places.  The graphics were good enough for what was needed, but it was mostly flat textures and the filmgrain effect covered up most of the other missing graphic needs.

It had some flat areas but it was NOT mostly flat textures. In fact, the only environments that had some lower-res areas were the outdoor environments. I'm positive you haven't seen the entire game.

Character animations were spotty, but did the job most of the time, either equaling or exceeding Uncharted 2 65-70% of the time. Character models themselves exceed Uncharted 2's with detail as well. Like I said, I'd call them even, but each has strengths and weaknesses.

I played the whole game.  Just have to update my Trophy card for proof I guess

As for textures, they were almost all flat.  Even textures on the players body including clothes, bandages, Ethan's abs, things like that were flat.  The character models were good, but the only ones that seemed great were ones belonging to non-important characters like the junk yard guy and the old lady in the hospital.  Killzone 2's and even Gears of War's character models seemed more detailed and textured than the ones in Heavy Rain save for a few.  Clothes was very static and non-reactive to other forces.  I especially noticed the lack of texture in the one power plant section where you were crawling through tunnels.  The ground textures and glass were just awful looking compared to the some of the other environments.  It had exceptional artwork and antialiasing seemed very good which gave it a very sharp overally picture.  It made it look lifelike without really having to have crazy textures and over the top graphics.  Animations seemed to be a real negative for me.  Especially walking and the animations used for kissing was waaaay off Some of the action scenes had decent animations, though.  Again, having not played UC2, I can't make a comparison on anything other than the screenshots I saw.

I'd definitely say Killzone 2 has this game beat on overall graphics.  Once I play Uncharted 1 and 2 I will be able to make a better comparison.

Now please don't think I'm hating on the game.  The game overall looked great despite some of the lacking textures and what not.  And the film grain effect and antialiasing were very good to make it all look smooth.  There were only some slight moments of screen tearing and some minor sound glitches with the game.  It was a thrilling and emotional experience that I actually am considering replaying again (not common of me with single player games at all!).  Maybe having such a large 47" 1080p HDTV makes some sort of difference in my views.  I really don't know.  All I know is that I went into this game not expecting anything special and found a masterpiece.  I just don't see how the graphics compare to the already "Kings" out there.

At the same time, I don't see how Uncharted 1 compares to Gears 2 at all and I think Gears 2 destroys it as well as Gears 2 destroys Metal Gear Solid 4, but others disagree so maybe my graphics likes/dislikes are different or I take notice of more places where it is lacking than others.  It's all just my opinion, bro

Around the Network

Not if 720p is their max resolution, Naughty Dog can go to 1080p on the PS3 so...

too late, Uncharted 2 already went down against GOW3. edit: oh, and I meant the real GOW3.

I'll have to see it to believe it. But if any devs of the 360 can do it, then Epic can.

donsterydo2 said:
Cliffy B. talks to much

at least he is less annoying than Peter Molyneux.

Around the Network

Of course there is a possibility that gears 3 will look better, because it won't be released before Q4 of 2010 (probably later, if you can trust recent rumours); so why should a game being released over a year after Uncharted 2 not look better?!

But... Gears 2 was released after the first Uncharted, but it didn't look better IMO

So... we will see...

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:
Of course there is a possibility that gears 3 will look better, because it won't be released before Q4 of 2010 (probably later, if you can trust recent rumours); so why should a game being released over a year after Uncharted 2 not look better?!

But... Gears 2 was released after the first Uncharted, but it didn't look better IMO

So... we will see...

It's not just about time or release schedule, but more about the engine itself and how the developers utilize it.

CGI-Quality said:

We'll continue to disagree. Killzone 2, as good as it looked, had far more low res areas than HEAVY RAIN. And Killzone 2's character models are nowhere near as detailed as HEAVY RAIN's. That isn't an opinion either.

But again, we'll continue to disagree.

Quite frankly, the only place on Heavy Rain's characters that I saw much detail was their faces.  And even then the faces didn't look anywhere near as good as they did in the loading parts.  Heavy Rain clothes just looked flat and the only thing that moved clothes wise was Scott's trench coat.  Killzone 2's characters actually had detail and texture all over including their facials and clothes and whatnot.

So as far as facial detail I will say Heavy Rain has the most of nearly any console game, but that is still mostly due to artwork and not actual texture detail.  Gears 2 faces IMO look way more detailed and textured.

And I hate to say it, bro, but yes that was still your opinion.  Faces I give to Heavy Rain, but overall character models including clothing/gear has to go to Uncharted 2 and/or Killzone 2.

Poor Cliffy B.....I guess he hasn't seen God of War yet

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

@CGI, I have to give overall graphics to Uncharted 2, because for me, there is no overestimating characters that move like REAL PEOPLE on the screen. The animations of Uncharted make that game the best looking, the animations of Heavy Rain often pull you OUT of the experience. Not good for a game like that (remember that I love Heavy Rain, but it ain't perfect)