By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are you ashamed of being a gamer?

amp316 said:
You know what's not cool to most girls? When you pretend to be something that you're not and then they find out later. I started being much more successful with them when I told them my interests up front (gaming, Bond, Star Wars, sports, old movies, etc.) Don't ever be ashamed of what you are. That's what makes you YOU.

I would also add it helps you to know the real them at the start. IT will make them more relaxed about any thing they are into. People know when you are not being you. They can pick up on little details and believe it or not we all can read body language to a point. You may not know it is what you are doing, but everyday with everbody you see you are. Starting out a possible relationship on a lie is bound to doom sooner or later, or atleast make you look less honest in there eyes. Why in the world would you want it start out like that?

Around the Network
amp316 said:
You know what's not cool to most girls? When you pretend to be something that you're not and then they find out later. I started being much more successful with them when I told them my interests up front (gaming, Bond, Star Wars, sports, old movies, etc.) Don't ever be ashamed of what you are. That's what makes you YOU.

words to live by.

hmmm, this generation i changed my behaviour regarding electronic entertainment totally.

I almost dont watch TV anymore (1 football live game every two weeks, my favorite tv show, and news -> total of approx. 3h/week)

That spare time is now time i use for gaming.

As i really dont like facebook, and almost everybody plays farmville or MafiaWars nowadays.
I just ask two questions: How much do you watch telly a week, do you play games on facebook? And than compare it to my behaviour and close the dialogue most of the time with: Now who is the nerd, Tv junkie or whatever...or give a reasonable explaination that we are equally obsessed with electronic entertainment, just in different ways

In my opinion games alone wont make you a nerd, its the total time you spent behind screens.

Wenn killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler killen, dann killen killerspieler in killerspielen killerspieler.

I dont hide the fact that I play games, not from girls not even from interviewers who like to ask for "hobbies". If they dont like it, that's their problem. It's just who I am.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Nope not ashamed.

Perhaps because I'm a little older, I've proven myself in life in reaching some of my accomplishments, and I'm a bit more tolerant of different views, which allows me to portray gaming to people as something of a different experience.

Only cringe when certain gamer fanboys add to the stereotype of being a gamer, especially where hippocracy is relevant.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Around the Network

No not at all.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

I wouldn't bring it up in casual conversation, but if somebody asked me, I would respond honestly.

I don't think I've really met anybody with the attitude you describe. Quite a few "What do you see in it?"s from the older crowd, but never stereotypical insults.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Nope, in fact it's quite the opposite.

I'm proud to be a gamer and don't hide it from anyone, be it my family, GF, work collegues, professors, friends, etc,etc.

Why would anyone be ashamed of it's favourite hobby is beyond me.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

And by the way, I just checked, and a God of War hoodie is £23. It's also hideous.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Fuck no! I am a gamer through and through if you don't like that then fuck you! lol that kinda rhymed. But yeah I live my gaming lifestyle and my friends are gamers. I may be a huge gamer and I may be a geek but I do not care what other people think. The only time I have been self conscience was when I fell in love but when I found she was just as big of a gamer as me I was like o.o bowchickabowwow