By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS Announced! (3D!!)

damn a walking virtualboy that will be cool.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
mai said:
famousringo said:
Somebody posted a thread recently about 3D LCD screens in a handheld and suggesting Nintendo might put it in the next DS. It wasn't exactly 3D, but a layering of translucent LCD screens to produce several 2D layers. Combine that with integrated, accelerated head tracking as seen in the DSi and you could craft a mighty powerful 3D illusion that the DSi can't do, I reckon.

If true, that might be way cooler than regular 3D TV with glasses.

I did expect that this meant to be some kind of '3D', but not what you might think first. Otherwise pointless, when you have 3D TV in your living room.

The vast majority of people are not going to have a 3D TV anytime soon.

It actually makes perfect sense to introduce 3D on handhelds first, since it's cheaper and less complicated than getting a new TV, glasses etc...

Probably they won't anytime soon. Still it seems pointless to me, as pointless as trying to brag about high-dev graphics on handheld - that's not differentiation that made DS successful, but rather values and qualities of home consoles reduced to the size of a portable, i.e. fail. On the other hand some form of head-tracking might be interesting depending on software available.

NJ5 said:
bbsin said:
NJ5 said:
mai said:
famousringo said:
Somebody posted a thread recently about 3D LCD screens in a handheld and suggesting Nintendo might put it in the next DS. It wasn't exactly 3D, but a layering of translucent LCD screens to produce several 2D layers. Combine that with integrated, accelerated head tracking as seen in the DSi and you could craft a mighty powerful 3D illusion that the DSi can't do, I reckon.

If true, that might be way cooler than regular 3D TV with glasses.

I did expect that this meant to be some kind of '3D', but not what you might think first. Otherwise pointless, when you have 3D TV in your living room.

The vast majority of people are not going to have a 3D TV anytime soon.

It actually makes perfect sense to introduce 3D on handhelds first, since it's cheaper and less complicated than getting a new TV, glasses etc...

I actually thought the natural order of technology progression was going from larger to smaller.

Even in technology that's not always true, but I was talking about the marketing perspective rather than technology.

Let me put it another way... if Nintendo 3DS doesn't totally flop, it will be adopted much faster than 3D TVs due to lower price and convenience.

that's assuming the 3d technology of the 3DS is the same as the technology in 3d TVs to begin with.

bbsin said:

that's assuming the 3d technology of the 3DS is the same as the technology in 3d TVs to begin with.

I'm not assuming any of that. Again just ignore the technology part and focus on the "3D" thing (which is what most people will be doing).

I don't think I can put it any clearer than that.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

INSANE-O!

Can't wait for E3, it's going to be epic, for Nintendo.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network

I'm curious to know how powerful the new DS will be and what the cost will be. If it has to do stereoscopic 3D, it has to be powerful hardware if you want games where the effect can really shine too.

Contributing to epic thread of EPIC NEWS.

New 3D DS (WTF MAN) and Zelda.

Its over. But what is this Power Wii?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Think about it. DS already got 2 screens. How can you add more screen without causing problems?
They go and stack them up.

So, we're getting 6 screens!
That's 3x DS.

NJ5 said:
bbsin said:

I'm not assuming any of that. Again just ignore the technology part and focus on the "3D" thing (which is what most people will be doing).

What I'm saying is that the "3d" of the 3DS may be completely different than the traditional 3d that Nvidia has been pushing and the type we see in theaters like IMAX. So if the 3DS were to become a huge success, it wouldn't necessarily mean that consumers are adopting or investing in the whole "3d thing" since it may not be even be the same as traditional 3d technology.

bbsin said:
NJ5 said:
bbsin said:

What I'm saying is that the "3d" of the 3DS may be completely different than the traditional 3d that Nvidia has been pushing and the type we see in theaters like IMAX. So if the 3DS were to become a huge success, it wouldn't necessarily mean that consumers are adopting or investing in the whole "3d thing" since it may not be even be the same as traditional 3d technology.

Of course it's completely different, the Nvidia 3D and the cinema system both require glasses and this will not.

3D is much easier to do on handhelds since they don't require a big viewing angle and only one person is playing at a time.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957