By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft: Researchers Already Working on Natal II

this thread went out of control quickly:( not good.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:

Microsoft is already working on the next generation of Natal according to Microsoft's Research Asia department director Hsiao-Wuen Hon.

"When we do invent something first like the Natal kind of scenario, while we have a researcher working with the product group for the first version, we already have a researcher thinking about the second version down the road so we certainly hope we will continue to be holding that technology," Hon said.

However, while the innovation behind Natal is working well for the company. Mr Hon also indicates that Microsoft could do a little better keeping up with trends.

"Looking back I can say we probably should have done more in the consumer space," Hon said in a recent interview, adding that it has targeted the 'enterprise user' in the past - one that essentially turns consumer the second he/she leaves work.

Microsoft has been criticised for releasing consumer products that seem to follow a bit too closely to its competitors - from the Bing search engine to the Zune media player and its accompanying applications store. Hon said that its focus is on researching the technologies of tomorrow, rather than the 'me-too' products of today, and that Natal and Windows 7 will be the first steps towards that direction.

Perhaps this forward-thinking approach is the reason its Windows Phone 7 series is being delayed until next year?

http://news.spong.com/article/20972/Microsoft-Researchers-Already-Working-on-Natal-II

So because a researcher is "thinking about the second version down the road" people are assuming it's in development? It's probably in some sort of pre-development planning stage. They're thinking of what they can do to make the current Natal better. Unfortunately, whatever they're coming up with, probably isn't cheap, and while it could be released relatively soon, it would probably be at a higher price point to do so, which could be against their current business plan with Natal.

Seriously though, this thread is filled with so much fail. What MS is doing with Natal 2, Sony and Nintendo and pretty much any major company in the world is doing as well. From cars to games to medicine, everything is planned for and developed long before it's announced. By the time a new product hits the shelves, the next model or iteration of the product is already well into the planning stage. MS is not doing something abnormal here. Just another example of people jumping to conclusions from extremely limited amounts of data.

Now if you want to talk about how it's probably stupid that the guy said anything like that, I completely agree, but it still takes a lot of hate and improperly focused imagination to assume that Natal 2 is "already being worked on". There are so many different assumptions one can make off of that statement, but they're all just assumptions, and just jumping to a conclusion and making comments on that conclusion is ridiculous.

I can already think of a few enhancements that could be done. Make the lens swivel so that it can track someone with a smaller field of view so that accuracy increases. Add a zoom able lens so that the camera can track you and zoom in on you if necessary for whatever reason. And possible zoom in on a specific body part, such as the hands. Of course, motors make things more likely to break, but I think the pay off might be worth it.

...and thus i name thee: Natal Move+

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

JaggedSac said:
I can already think of a few enhancements that could be done. Make the lens swivel so that it can track someone with a smaller field of view so that accuracy increases. Add a zoom able lens so that the camera can track you and zoom in on you if necessary for whatever reason. And possible zoom in on a specific body part, such as the hands. Of course, motors make things more likely to break, but I think the pay off might be worth it.

I would like them to build in taser like feature so that if you die in the game, you get tazed. 

Around the Network

Natal is gonna succeed i guess if M$ has already invested alot of money on it.

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

How much improvement can there be with a camera that they cant add today?

The software is where its at. Ofcourse they should think about the future, but if Natal does all that they claim it can do today, i dont really see what can be added to justify a Natal 2. Todays features could obviously get tweeked, but as i said, i dont see how that would justify new release of hardware. People buy these things because of software.

STEKSTAV said:
How much improvement can there be with a camera that they cant add today?

The software is where its at. Ofcourse they should think about the future, but if Natal does all that they claim it can do today, i dont really see what can be added to justify a Natal 2. Todays features could obviously get tweeked, but as i said, i dont see how that would justify new release of hardware. People buy these things because of software.

A higher resolution sensor would allow for a wider FOV and higher accuracy.  Of course, this would require more processing power to process the image.  Perfect for the next XBox.

Natal will be really successful.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

Severance said:
Announcing a new tech before even finishing and releasing the first is a big indication of ripping off consumers

completely agree, it sounds like they will treat natal like a gimick, it would be nice if it works but if not o well.

dont count your chickens before they hatch M$