By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Mafia Round 15B - Game Thread

trangentspree said:
I want to hear people's thoughts on whether they think a lynch on Day1 is/is not a good idea and for what reasons. I'm not experienced with themed games so I don't know how much the 1/3 ratio could be affected by this being a zombie game, and I would be interested in hearing your opinions on the matter.

There are 9 people here, this game is unbalanced from what the WoW has said. The thing is that we don't know how many deaths were gonna have in the 1st day and this is my first zombie game so I don't know anything. Imo we should lynch the second day since the first mislynch could screw our awsome tribe.

Around the Network
trangentspree said:
I want to hear people's thoughts on whether they think a lynch on Day1 is/is not a good idea and for what reasons. I'm not experienced with themed games so I don't know how much the 1/3 ratio could be affected by this being a zombie game, and I would be interested in hearing your opinions on the matter.

The theory, is that if you no-lynch on day 1 the "town" gains 1 extra day. However, the problem is that you essentially give the mafia  free night kill and you don't create meaningful discussion. Mostly people just avoiding everything. Also, day 2 is essentially a repeat of day 1, only it ends in a lynch and the game finally gets rolling. Most people say Day 1 is a "random" vote day. While that may be partially true, the "mafia" know who each other are, and it isn't exactly random. Also, sometimes you can bring in past behavior to gain more knowledge. For example, if I ever no-lynched off the bat on day 1 people would probably be suspicious of me, as I almost always try for a day 1 lynch.

The supposed "benefits" of a no-lynch day 1 is (in my opinion) is outweighed by the benefits of lynching someone. Also, on this forum, I've seen enough games with a day 1 lynch where the town won. If nothing else day 1 typically ends in lynching someone who causes confusion or happens to be mafia.

This is regardless of theme/regular mafia.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

nordlead said:
trangentspree said:

The theory, is that if you no-lynch on day 1 the "town" gains 1 extra day. However, the problem is that you essentially give the mafia  free night kill and you don't create meaningful discussion. Mostly people just avoiding everything. Also, day 2 is essentially a repeat of day 1, only it ends in a lynch and the game finally gets rolling. Most people say Day 1 is a "random" vote day. While that may be partially true, the "mafia" know who each other are, and it isn't exactly random. Also, sometimes you can bring in past behavior to gain more knowledge. For example, if I ever no-lynched off the bat on day 1 people would probably be suspicious of me, as I almost always try for a day 1 lynch.

The supposed "benefits" of a no-lynch day 1 is (in my opinion) is outweighed by the benefits of lynching someone. Also, on this forum, I've seen enough games with a day 1 lynch where the town won. If nothing else day 1 typically ends in lynching someone who causes confusion or happens to be mafia.

This is regardless of theme/regular mafia.

See, I disagree.  I agree that just no-lynching "BAM night DEATH day 2" is a bad idea, but I have no problem with a day 1 with a good amount of discussion that ends without a lynch -- in fact, I think it's better.  But there needs to be a real threat of a lynch to get people talking, and if something comes up that seems worth lynching over then that's OK too. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I used to be hardcore no lynch Day 1, but it's hard getting enough discussion that way.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:

See, I disagree.  I agree that just no-lynching "BAM night DEATH day 2" is a bad idea, but I have no problem with a day 1 with a good amount of discussion that ends without a lynch -- in fact, I think it's better.  But there needs to be a real threat of a lynch to get people talking, and if something comes up that seems worth lynching over then that's OK too. 

I would love to have discussions on day one, but there really isn't that much to talk about. 

Quick question final-fan:

You have the option to have one of these things.

1. A dandelion 
  2. A puppy
  3. a human brain 

Which do you choose?

Around the Network

I agree with Final-Fan that a lynch on first day isn't important as long as there's some discussion.

With only 9 people in the game we have to have some kind of hurry, though. We can already be feeling the consequences from day 1 unlike big games like last game.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

dsister44 said:
Final-Fan said:

I would love to have discussions on day one, but there really isn't that much to talk about. 

1. A dandelion 
  2. A puppy
  3. a human brain 

Which do you choose?

WoW did the exact same thing with ice cream one game, and she turned out to be mafia  

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
dsister44 said:

1. A dandelion 
  2. A puppy
  3. a human brain 

Which do you choose?

WoW did the exact same thing with ice cream one game, and she turned out to be mafia  

Haha, I actually meant it to be like a Futurama quote. I just couldn't remember all of it :D

Zombie television just ain't what it used to be, if you ask me.

So TRUCK

You said before that you were waiting for the reasoning behind supermario's earlier comments, and it seems to me that he has now given it to you. What do you make of it? And what are your thoughts about lynching on the first day?

I just keep missing people, it seems. Hmmm.