By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kevin Butler Move ad: Is the PS Move sub controller motion sensitive?

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I played SOCOM 4 at GDC and I pressed a button to throw a grenade. I didn't see any motion controls there, and figured the game only used the pointing. I did not swing my left arm in any way. This guy is exaggerating for the commercial. Engadget interviewed somebody at Sony about the subchuck and asked if it had motion sensitivity. They said it did not.

If you need both hands to have motion controls, you need 2 Moves. You use 2 Moves in the swordfighting game and the boxing game. If you watch the Sony conference they actually show how SOCOM 4 allows you to play "with your game face on" and the guy demoing it sat perfectly still like a zombie to comically show how "traditional/hardcore" he was.

the official release info for the sub controller:

PLAYSTATION®MOVE SUB-CONTROLLER

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme. In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands common in advanced gaming.

so it may indeed have the function when it get's released.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
I played SOCOM 4 at GDC and I pressed a button to throw a grenade. I didn't see any motion controls there, and figured the game only used the pointing. I did not swing my left arm in any way. This guy is exaggerating for the commercial. Engadget interviewed somebody at Sony about the subchuck and asked if it had motion sensitivity. They said it did not.

If you need both hands to have motion controls, you need 2 Moves. You use 2 Moves in the swordfighting game and the boxing game. If you watch the Sony conference they actually show how SOCOM 4 allows you to play "with your game face on" and the guy demoing it sat perfectly still like a zombie to comically show how "traditional/hardcore" he was.

PlayStation Move sub controller is a supplementary controller, developed to further expand the experience that PlayStation Move games can offer. It can be used in most PlayStation Move games that require navigating an in-game character as it replicates the control features of the left side of DUALSHOCK 3 and SIXAXIS wireless controller into one’s PlayStation Move experience. PlayStation Move sub controller adds an analog stick, directional buttons and two face buttons into the PlayStation Move's control scheme. In addition, the sub-controller contains the L1 button, L2 button and L3 button for actions and commands common in advanced gaming.

Yeah, maybe.  Who cares?  I played the game in the commercial and didn't swing my arm like that.  That game is specifically made and marketed towards people who want precise aiming controls in a traditional/"hardcore" shooter, but don't want to swing their arms around.

And Sony have specifically stated that it doesn't use motion sensing.  They're talking about the button layout.  You have access to a joystick and 2 triggers with your left hand, just like any other PlayStation controller.  It's just more comfortable.

^^
they stated it doesn't have motion sensing YET , but they might add it since its still in production based on feedback.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

joeorc said:

Yeah, maybe.  Who cares?  I played the game in the commercial and didn't swing my arm like that.  That game is specifically made and marketed towards people who want precise aiming controls in a traditional/"hardcore" shooter, but don't want to swing their arms around.

And Sony have specifically stated that it doesn't use motion sensing.  They're talking about the button layout.  You have access to a joystick and 2 triggers with your left hand, just like any other PlayStation controller.  It's just more comfortable.

I know you played it. All I am saying is that Sony  may have the sub controller when it releases, the sub controller may have motion controll of sixaxis when it get's released. that's all .this TV ad may have the guy trying it out with that function added in. who know's

which is alright also. it's not that big of a deal.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

I love the pic of Jack Tretton when the kids playing that boxing game LOL!!!

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Around the Network
puffy said:

I just watched the latest Kevin Butler ad based around the PS Move controller and couldn't help but notice something.. Skip to 1:00 and watch for the grenade throw, I'm quite sure Socom 4 uses one Move and one sub, not two moves but correct me if I'm wrong :P

well this shows that people didn't listen to what Move is... there is a Camera... that do MOST of the work by making the tracking of the Move light ball, upper body movements (gamer) and in the upper body of the gamer there is the arms... those arms can be used to do movements (like trowing a grenade)... the sub-controller its just to ease up the usage of an analog stick. the accelerometers in the Move do only the rotation and orientation of the wand, the 3D space position and 3D movements are all captured by the Camera (with a little help of accelerometers just to keep it very precise) that is why Move is noting like competition...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

axumblade said:
The biggest lie in the commercial was at the beginning. He said that all food was consumed through a straw now when there were muffins at the end of the commercial. I don't really think Kevin Butler in the commercial is from the future.....

Because its optional just like Sony's motion controller

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Maybe if u hold it and use it like old Commodore 64 joystick, u can move in games without analog stick or dpad.

axumblade said:
The biggest lie in the commercial was at the beginning. He said that all food was consumed through a straw now when there were muffins at the end of the commercial. I don't really think Kevin Butler in the commercial is from the future.....

all food is consumed through a straw is in the future (November 2010)... so if he is here now (march 2010) there are muffins here now (march 2010)...

get it?

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Wow, so you need to have two Sony "wands" and the camera to play an FPS?

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"