Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Soul Calibur Legends Review Thread

aidencronus said:
wow.... this game had so much potential! there goes my dream of it being

#1 on gamerankings.com

lol kidding

lol thats reserved for galaxy or oot or hopfuly in the future for SSBB

Around the Network
famousringo said:
I don't get why they keep making all these hack and slash games. Almost none of them are fun past the first hour.

yeah i dont even bother with these games anymore

I was expecting 7.5s, I guess I will pass unless other reviews start giving it a better score.

PS Vita and PC gamer

CPU Intel i5 2500K at 4.5 Ghz / Gigabyte Z68 Mobo / 8 Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 mhz / Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X Boost / Corsair Obsidian 550d 

Looks like a pretty bad game, but I'm sure most of us saw this coming. Hopefully they'll put some effort into their next Wii game, now that they've got the obligatory "oh shit the console we weren't betting on is winning, quickly make a crappy cash-in so we don't look stupid!" project out of the way.

Pretty much expected. Crappy cash-ins deserve crappy scores.

Around the Network

Endurance...you are on track to have 5,000 posts by mid January...

Funny thing is....Dodece will have more words in one post than you have in all 5,000.

1-UP's review - 6 / 10

Soulcalibur Legends is not what Death By Degrees was to Tekken. It's not like what Mythologies was to Mortal Kombat, nor is it a spin-off in the form you might expect if you've played previous fighting-game side stories. Divorce yourself from the idea that Legends is an action game and you'll probably like it a lot better -- it's much closer to an action-RPG anyway. But in regard to overall quality, yeah -- it's a lot like those others.

For the majority of the game, you spend time moving from room to room (or outdoor area to outdoor area), fighting enemies that appear in said room (or area) until the transparent blue wall disappears, moving on to the next room to do the same thing, and repeating. There's a ton of environment and enemy repetition, lots of weapons and weapon upgrades to unlock, and a light story that plays out in the background. The game mixes things up a bit here and there with boss fights and simple puzzle-solving (rotate statues, blow out fire by swinging your blade), but if you don't like the combat, you're not going to find much else to redeem the game.

So it's a good thing that the combat is fairly decent. It will likely be a polarizing issue amongst players, with those who don't like the idea of playing a button-masher using the Remote for every attack hating the game, and those who are open to the idea of motion control finding the execution of them to be satisfactory.

With movement on the analog stick, sidestepping and parrying using Nunchuk motions, and attacks using Remote motions, it's a workout to sit around playing for hours, but the controls are precise enough that it was hard to blame them for any mistakes. Swing the Remote left and you'll swing your weapon to the left in the game; pull the Remote back and you'll pull your weapon back to launch enemies into the air. It's a solid execution that holds up well and doesn't mess with the camera nearly as much as it could thanks to a solid lock-on system.

Considering the new genre, the game has a good-sized roster of different playable characters -- seven, barring any secrets that might pop up postrelease -- who change the way it feels. If you choose Siegfried (Legends' main character) your attacks will be slow but powerful; go with Taki and you'll get the opposite. This is no surprise given that we've had slow/strong and fast/weak characters in hundreds of games over the years, but it's notable here since the faster characters tend to work better with the motion controls because you get immediate feedback with their moves connecting shortly after you pull them off -- it feels more like you're actually performing the moves.

Unfortunately, it seems as if the developers spent their money working on aspects like the characters and the controls, and then funds dried up when it came time to populate the rest of the game.

Step one in this budgetization is that there's not much to see. You fight the same five or so enemies in the same five or so locations hundreds of times, and there's not much to do in these environments -- we got excited to simply come across an area that actually let us jump on something (platforming!), and then promptly went back to the flat running around that is the rest of the game. Additionally, the enemies you come across seem pretty random in relation to the story -- I have no idea why I fought tigers and rock monsters for 10 hours.

Which leads us nicely to step two -- the narrative (or more appropriately, the text that shows up on the screen) doesn't add much beyond a few laughs. If there's a better example of the developers taking the budget route than the writing, I'm not sure what it is, because the great majority of the story plays out in dialogue pages decorated by character art as you scroll through words. It's not like this is some Nintendo-style "we don't want Link to have a voice" approach either, because the characters do speak in the occasional in-game cut-scenes (a favorite quote: "Don't cower. Don't you dare cower!"), but when it comes time for the longer between-mission story sequences, it's all text and very dry, random, boring, and repetitive. This is the kind of stuff that's been hard to find in games since the SNES days.

So while we found ourselves sticking with the game, it was more for the unlockable weapons and weapon upgrades than the story, and to return to the whole action-RPG concept -- that's where the game succeeds. It would be great if there were more to track down than just weapons, however, since the game feels pretty simple as is -- and that would be where it fails.

The main problem here is that it feels like Legends should have been a side mode in a proper Soulcalibur rather than its own game. There are some good ideas, but it doesn't feel like a complete game. You can count the multiplayer stages as extras that fill out the package, but they're pretty awful and tend to show that the combat works better against groups of dumb enemies than it does against one smart one. I can appreciate the approach to create an action-RPG rather than an action game, but it's difficult not to wonder if it happened in such a simple form because the developers simply didn't have the budget to come up with anything better.

Well, at least it's better than 6.5. Looks the controls are well-done too by this review. This may simply turn out to be a budget title rather than a total failure.

Well there's always Tekken (ducking)!

Thanks to kenobi after I got him to ban my old account (dallas) after someone hacked into it and being ok with me coming back under a slightly different username.  I appreciate our communication in the PMs.  Also I want to give a big thank you to vgchartz for being one of the cooler websites around. 

Oh, and I'm still the next Michael Pachter

Game Informer - 4 / 10

The biggest mistake you can make with Soulcalibur Legends (apart from buying it) is assuming that there is some strategy to the motion-based gameplay. You can make calculated, deliberate slices with the remote if you want to, but here’s the inside scoop: Holding the remote and nunchuk, just move both arms up and down like you’re dual-wielding knives and chopping the hell out of some vegetables. Several hours later, you win!

I wish I could say that the tedious gameplay was the only crippling flaw in Soulcalibur Legends, but the entire experience is an onslaught of miserable ideas and even worse execution. You play through the same handful of levels again and again – and I don’t just mean recycled textures. Entire layouts (complete with boss fights and poor excuses for puzzles) are repeated. The reward for your perseverance is usually a sequence of text boxes and character portraits outlining the fatuous logic behind your next attack on a location you’ve already beaten several times.

Of course, when this much goes wrong at the conceptual level, it is foolishly optimistic to think the game’s other components, like the camera and targeting systems, even approach adequate. As you slash through hordes of palette-swapped generic bad guys, you will routinely be hit by rolling boulders you can’t see and pierced by arrows from crossbows you can’t target. As a matter of fact, it’s kind of amazing how every mechanic is on the cutting edge of failure.

Soulcalibur Legends is a trap, luring in gullible gamers with the promise of two-player co-op and a cast of characters from the series. Once you take the bait, the whole rusty contraption snaps shut – and you will carry the scars of playing it for the rest of your life.

Ouch.  That one hurts.  Nail in the coffin perhaps?

naznatips said:
Pretty much expected. Crappy cash-ins deserve crappy scores.

QFMFT

I hope Namco takes it to heart and makes a better game next time instead of just giving up on the Wii.

Anyone else remember the "secret identity" developer who said you can't make profit on the Wii because no will buy 3rd party games? Turns out it's the guy responsible for Chicken Shoot

Eventually 3rd parties will get the message that you can't slack with the Wii and hope to make a profit. I hope this game sells 4 copies total.