By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Reggie full of it when it comes to Wii2 (Next Gen)

Is Reggie full of it when it comes to Wii2 (Next Gen)

Yes, he's all talk (read below) 16 17.39%

No, He's serious and knows whats going on! 34 36.96%

Reggie is the Regginator nuff said 42 45.65%

Total:92

for whatever reason i just CANT STAND REGGIE
he is so arrogant just like the guys from microsoft and sony

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

Around the Network

Resolution and 3d will never be a main driving force I say that confidently even if it comes across as arrogant, it'll always be the appeal of the console that drives things. HD is no different then increasing graphical power which has been done since the NES, it's not an innovation and 3d tbh is a passing day dream as far as the gaming industry is concerned. Reggie basically was just saying that yeah HD will be there in our next console but isn't the major focus of their R&D because playing a game in HD or SD makes no difference to the experience and I've played games on both SD and HD and he's not wrong on that point.

I think that while Reggie seems to be full of it, he is right on the money. And the phrase, "When Mr. Miyamoto goes to Mr. Iwata and says. 'I have this great idea and I can't do it on the Wii,' that's when there will be a next generation console" is entirely true, and may actually mean the next Wii could be already ready, give or take some fine tuning, waiting only for its launch titles, which may take 2 more years to develop (...), and for the hardware to further come down in cost.

People are trying to imagine what the Wii2 will have, and I think they are all missing the point. What the Wii is presently missing and could not be achieved with a new, reasonably priced controller, is simply more processing power. NOT in order to achieve HD graphics, but in order to achieve things that are super processing intensive and presently would cause lag even in SD graphics if introduced into current Wii games.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

Nintendo will do what is needed, when it is needed.

HD is still in less than half of American households (http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/113009release.html).

So the decision to do SD for the Wii was the right one for this generation -- especially since it started in 2006.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

I trust Reggie when it comes to the "Wii 2", he's been around for awhile and he's gain my trust. Mr. Iwata is hard to trust sometimes.

Around the Network
BoneArk said:
I trust Reggie when it comes to the "Wii 2", he's been around for awhile and he's gain my trust. Mr. Iwata is hard to trust sometimes.

Why do you say that? If I have to choose between the two, I definitely trust Iwata more than Reggie.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

mike_intellivision said:
Nintendo will do what is needed, when it is needed.

HD is still in less than half of American households (http://www.leichtmanresearch.com/press/113009release.html).

So the decision to do SD for the Wii was the right one for this generation -- especially since it started in 2006.

Mike from Morgantown

If the Wii was on a level anywhere near equal graphically to the PS3 or 360 this gen, their 3rd party support would have been even more worse off.

Last generation, Microsoft coaxed several 3rd parties into delaying GC versions of multiplatform games or cancelling them outright altogether. With a near infinite budget, MS could have spent a large amount of money on any game they wanted to take from the competition. Seeing as to how MS felt a superior library alone would help them even beat the PS2, their drive to beat Nintendo in the process was understandably relentless.

That is why with this Sony Move/MS Natal thing, Nintendo is lucky that they came to foster the creation of these motion alternatives so late in the gen. Otherwise, the Wii might have missed out on a few more games in the interim. I'm not saying Move/Natal will have a large impact now, but developers who 'put all their eggs in the HD basket" have even more reason to stay the course and continue leaving the Wii alone. Look at Japan, who has nothing on the cards for the Wii pipeline for months, with the exception of a few titles like Trauma Team and....Inazuma (??) Break.

We all know the Wii has been played like a fiddle on the Western side of things as well this year. So you are DEFINTELY right in that a non-HD Wii was the right thing to do at risk of extinction. Demanding Nintendo should have done otherwise is misinformed.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

At least the communication issues aren't as bad as SEGA's used to be.

SW-5120-1900-6153

RolStoppable said:
@JoelCool7

You are young and hang out too much on gaming websites, that's why you can't understand the Wii and instead go with the idiocy spread from harcore gamers and journalists.

The Wii sold on the strength of its software. Before launch Nintendo did let people try out the games and they were amazed and told it their friends. Even the best marketing campaign isn't as effecient as word of mouth. And the Wii has better games than the GC and N64. (Even if it's just in the sense that they have a much broader appeal, but that's crucial for hardware sales.)

You grew up with those consoles, hence you don't know why the NES was so successful. The N64 and GC didn't even have a main series Mario game and that hurt their sales a lot.

Again, the Wii sells because of its software and the hardware charts prove it. Once interesting games stopped to be released and the effect of previous killer apps wore off, the Wii's momentum collapsed in 2009. A price cut didn't help much and the main reason why the Wii is in higher demand again is software.

Well your right about game journalists, I have worked for three gaming websites and reviewed video games for one of my cities leading newspapers. I got invited to press events and talked with other journalists on a regular basis about the past three consoles. As for me being young and spreading idiocy.

I am 21 my first console was an Atari2600 I grew up on the NES/SNES. I know Nintendo's software sold those platforms. I find it sort of funny that you critisize the GameCube's line-up. Watch X-Play , ReviewsOnTheRun or listen to any of the reviews by IGN,GameInformer or other gaming magazines. The GameCube was a software power house. I remember the rare occasion when a Nintendo title got a three out of five stars and Adam Sessler, Tommy Tallarico and other would comment as to them being suprised and dissapointed.

Yes the morons at 1.Up and some other anti Nintendo sites gave Nintendo hardware a bad name but the gaming media loved the GameCube. Also you say no ten million sellers. How many ten million sellers were on PS2/X-Box? Not many I can only think of two off the top of my head for the PS2. If you look at million sellers you'll note the GameCube was abundant with million sellers. Just look at Nintendo's first party success. Lets also not forget that software sales were so good for Nintendo that the GameCube was actually the most profitable of the three platforms. Nintendo made more last gen then Sony did and the attach rate for the GameCube was amazing.

Software usually sells systems. But I credit the Wiimote with selling the Wii. Nintendo's marketing sold the Wii. A perfect example is WiiMusic rated by the media and majority of gamers I have ever heard from as being one of the worst games this generation. Yet it sold over 2-million copies which is phenominal. Why did WiiMusic sell? It sold due to marketing and the Nintendo brand name.

No mainstream Mario? I'm sorry I grew up on Mario and Mario64 and Sunshine were truly mainstream Mario titles. They innovated and evolved the Mario franchise but they were most definatly mainstream Mario titles. Some would argue the Wii lacks most of Nintendo's mainstream franchises Donkey Kong , Kirby , StarFox and other titles like Pikmin are also missing.

Pointing out my age is fairly immature. My family was poor and I didn't get my N64 till year 2000. I was already twelve. My teen years were spent on the GameCube/N64 but when I was a kid all my mom could afford were the prior platforms. So I got my Atari 2600, Coleco Vision etc..etc....Amiga..... then my NES. I have owned most of the mainstream consoles since prior to the big game crash.

I played Pong in my arcade , I played Centipede , Rampage and all the other arcade classics. I'd say I've been playing games ever since I was born. I remember beating Mario when I was three. How much longer have you been playing games exactly? To say you are more experianced in playing games and write me off as a young whipper snapper you must realize that gaming only blossumed in the 80's and I was born in the late 80's.

What about the Magnovox did you play that? Did you play all the other game platforms that came out before my birth. If so how does that make you any more knowledgable about what sells hardware?

I gotta say don't judge a book by its cover

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer