By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Reggie full of it when it comes to Wii2 (Next Gen)

Is Reggie full of it when it comes to Wii2 (Next Gen)

Yes, he's all talk (read below) 16 17.39%

No, He's serious and knows whats going on! 34 36.96%

Reggie is the Regginator nuff said 42 45.65%

Total:92
Joelcool7 said:

The Wii sold because of the Wiimote and Nintendo's great Ad campain. A Nintendo fan myself I can't say software sold the Wii.

The Wii sold because of its pick-up-and-play capability. And WiiSports is just exactly the software that made that possible.

Saying the Wiimote is the driving force is completely wrong. It simply allowed different kind of interaction that's not possible on the controller with a dozen buttons that scare away non-gamer.

What games on the Wii that you have played that does not work for you?

It's easy to say the system doesn't provide any entertainment when you buy the games for another system.

Around the Network

you really think a balance board, and a heartbeat sensor would warrant a new console???

The only think that could have was more accurate wiimotes.... but a 15$ periferial is a much better strategy for the userbase...and has the same effect.

No the next console will include both HD and a sensible upgrade to the controls, including a better nunchuck, a redesign of the wii mote and something new (that we'll have to wait to know)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Joelcool7 said:
RolStoppable said:
HD is not a driving force.

All Nintendo said is that their next console will support it, because by then HDTVs will be in a majority of households, making the inclusion actually meaningful. That and HD is just a logical evolution.

But you are still looking at this from a technology focused point of view. It's about entertainment and that also means surprise. You say nothing can't be done on the Wii, but that's because you only think about ideas we already know about.

Once again, HD does not sell consoles. If you believe that, you spend too much time on forums. Software sells hardware. So the next Nintendo console better has games that can't be done on the Wii, because otherwise, why would people buy a new console?

Lets be clear I don't believe HD sells consoles and never have, it would be insaine to do so given Nintendo's profit track records. Then again GameCube had by far the best software last generation and it lost to PS2 which had a dismal first party line-up. The Wii sold because of the Wiimote and Nintendo's great Ad campain. A Nintendo fan myself I can't say software sold the Wii. The Revolution sold the Wii. Disagree?

Disagree. 

You define best software as things that are getting praised by a small circle of reviewers, and Nintendo fans, including you.

But if we are talking about popularity and sales, this is meaningless, as the public opinion might be, and is, different from yours. 

The Gamecube didn't have a single 10 million seller game. You call them "best", but the public didn't even care about buying them. Because they were not sufficiently appealing. 

The Wii has Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Resort/Plus, MK Wii, and NSMB Wii. These are all games which the public considered BETTER than any Gamecube game, given that they voted for them with their wallets.  And after any of these were released, a huge sales spike appeared in the hardware sales. Look it up in the charts, you just can't deny that these all sold huge amounts of hardware.

Alterego-X said:

The Wii has Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Resort/Plus, MK Wii, and NSMB Wii. These are all games which the public considered BETTER than any Gamecube game, given that they voted for them with their wallets.  

I often see this kind of reasoning, but it simply isn't sound. Just because product A sells more than product B doesn't mean that the customer satisfaction for A is superior to the one for B. It only means that more people were pushed over the threshold of buying the product, but that happens for a combination of value assessment, word of mouth, marketing, public image and so on.

I don't know if "the public considered (wii games) BETTER than any Gamecube game" because that would mean taking a survey among people who tried both. But I frankly doubt that the majority of Wii Sports/Play/Fit/Resort/Plus were informed on the quality or even existence of most Gamecube games.

It may very well be that most persons trying both would rate Wii Fit higher than Metroid Prime or Pikmin, but it isn't proved by the sales. What the sales prove is the bigger appeal.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

" If it is a question of control's Nintendo will never create another console because they can always just develope a new controller."

That right there is your answer.

Nintendo will not be making a new home console any time soon. Just new controllers.

When they figure out something as groundbreaking as motion control, then they will make a new console.

Around the Network

Don't be a fool, of course the Wii 2 isn't coming anytime soon

So either
A)Reggie is lying and there is a Wii HD
B)He's telling the truth.

So now we get to play the game of whether Reggie is lying or not. Sounds fun.

Most executives at Nintendo of America (and most significant divisions of Nintendo) probably have intimate details about Nintendo’s hardware strategy. If you could get an honest response from Reggie it would probably be something like "The next home console is being currently targeted for Q4 2012, has an 4/8 core IBM processor based on the Power 6 architecture, and has a custom GPU based on the Radeon HD 5770" ... The problem is that it is his job to keep these details secret until Nintendo is ready for them to be released; and saying that Nintendo doesn't play hardware until Myiamoto sees a need is better than saying "If I told you the truth it would hurt our bottom line"

^ I think Q4 2012 is a little early for the next console, I mean they have shortages still and only one price cut since launch, a Wii 2 isn't needed any time soon

axt113 said:
^ I think Q4 2012 is a little early for the next console, I mean they have shortages still and only one price cut since launch, a Wii 2 isn't needed any time soon

Most of my dates and specifications were chosen because they're reasonable estimates, not necessarily what Nintendo would produce ...

Personally, I think that the most plausable window for releasing all three next generation consoles is from Q4 2011 to Q4 2013; with an unlikely but possible release of a console in 2010 or 2014.