By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crysis 2 Versus Killzone 2 Screenshot Comparison

Booh! said:
meehan666 said:

And wasn't the killzone 2 flamethrower one of the weakpoints of killzone 2's visuals (personally I didn't like the look of the fire and I believe some reviewers thought the same). Anyway, we shouldn't compare fire animation from a flamethrower against a rocket launcher when we can look at explosions made from both games rockets. I haven't seen any video on the web that shows that killzone has the more detailed explosions, and owning both games myself I would have to say Crysis wins here too.

Many complained the fact that it seemed a "flame-pisser" more than a flame-thrower, pitiful enough that's the way real napalm flamethrowers look like: http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/67/123167-004-0FF79D60.jpg ------ http://www.warboats.org/images/jpg/StonerPics/stonerzippo.jpg .

Besides that, the point is: the flames in crysis are blatantly sprites and they don't even try to hide that. The flames of Killzone 2 may be not as pretty as the rest of the game, but they are good, technically speaking.

I don't know man, I mean, in the second picture the flame is orangeish in color, not piss yellow like in Killzone 2.

In reality, the only beef I have is with people who claim that the PC platform is "done". I mean, PC got 3D games first, PC had HD resolutions and and all the nifty effects that that console games now enjoy FIRST. I have (or have played through) the best games on EVERY platform currently available and I will admit that from an artistic perspective console games triump (I mean that is what "big" budgets buy right; the best designers, voice actors and artists, right). Why does everything have to be a zero sum game? There is room in this industry for those that want to take advantage of an open system and those that prefer the convinence of a closed system. I enjoy that fact that there are developers that decide to take advantage of bleeding edge PC hardware (like 4A games who have the latest DX11 and PhysX effects in their software) because that pushes their competition on all platforms to make their games better. I will love to see Crytek push the envelope again as far as graphics technology as that will push the rest of the industry to improve their tech.   

Around the Network
meehan666 said:

I don't know man, I mean, in the second picture the flame is orangeish in color, not piss yellow like in Killzone 2.

Nothing is perfect

However I don't think that the pc platform is "done" (I regularly play strategic games and indie games on my pc), but since Microsoft shifted interest to consoles, pc gaming has been losing steam. In the '80s many titles were multiplatform (pc, amiga, nes, mac...), but they were different on every platform, while today multiplatform games have to be the same across all platforms. So there's a lack of big projects, because someone is pushing the big projects towards consoles, and the remaining big projects have to be adequate for all platforms. Moreover there are no more big indipendent developers, even Id software was bought out by Zenimax (the owner of Bethesda).

I think what a lot of the people rallying behind GOW3 and KZ2 are missing is that the fact that the games must be made specifically for the PS3 is just the thing that stops any of those games from coming close to Crysis.
Not only must a game made specifically for the PS3 adhere to it strengths and capabilities, but also to its weaknesses-which might explain why killzone 2 had muddled textures.
This is not the case for the PC since a PCs weaknesses can be fixed by simply replacing that component.
Also the fact the computers vary differently make development for PC games more flexible, and it's why things like low, medium, and high settings exist. PC games do not have to be made specifically for a type of PC, which is one of the reasons PC games and PCs in general will be way more powerful than consoles for a long while...or forever.