By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - FFXIII Staying PS3-exclusive it seems.

ckmlb said:
twesterm said:
Hmm, if they call VII an improvement from VI and then continued on with the VII style I really don't know how excited I can be for XIII improving from XII.

I'm sick and tired of the FF VI elitists, yes we get it, in your opinion FF went down the crapper after FF VI (Ironically most of the people I hear this from are Nintendo fans, crazy coincidence huh?). On another note by your statement's logic you should at least give FF XIII a chance since it's changing directions (or so they claim) from the last FF games which you apparently so dislike.

I don't really believe that. I think you just assume that, since it was on the SNES. It would be the same as insisting 3D FF fans must be Sony fans as well.

It could just as likely be that those who hate VII onward either have honest opinions, or maybe that they are 2D gaming fans, regardless of the system. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

ckmlb - even though some are complaining, Square seems to love it.

Particularly because UE 3, appearently, has made Last Remnant a much, much cheaper build, and they stated that the game is coming along much, much quicker than if they tried to build an engine for it (but that's a big duh coming from Western developers where someone else's engine is in most games). But that's good for SE. It'll make them able to put out more games at less cost, and hopefully improve other aspects of the game.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

ckmlb said:
twesterm said:
Hmm, if they call VII an improvement from VI and then continued on with the VII style I really don't know how excited I can be for XIII improving from XII.

I'm sick and tired of the FF VI elitists, yes we get it, in your opinion FF went down the crapper after FF VI (Ironically most of the people I hear this from are Nintendo fans, crazy coincidence huh?).

Naaa , the saga IMO went down the crapper after FF7 but FF6 was the best game in the serie ( just my taste obviously ).

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

ckmlb said:
twesterm said:

I'm sick and tired of the FF VI elitists, yes we get it, in your opinion FF went down the crapper after FF VI (Ironically most of the people I hear this from are Nintendo fans, crazy coincidence huh?). On another note by your statement's logic you should at least give FF XIII a chance since it's changing directions (or so they claim) from the last FF games which you apparently so dislike.

First off, I really don't care what system FFVI was for-- I just think it's awesome (though not perfect). And yes, I do believe that FF games have been steadily going downhill since VIII. If you pay attention, I actually don't mind VII. I don't think it's the hot shit that everyone says it is, but I'm not going to flame people and tell people to keep their opinons to themselves (*hint hint* hunter_alien).

Also, just in general response to several people-- I much prefer the 2D or even semi-3D games than the full move to 3D that FFVII did. It was a huge leap but it doesn't change the fact it looked like shit.

Lastly, you're right, FFXIII could be an improvement and I seriously hope it is but I'm really not going to hold my breathe on that. Since VIII, the games have been getting progressively worse (though some were valiant efforts) and they've focused less on story and character development and focused more on making the game as close to a movie as possible. With everything I've seen of XIII I have no reason to believe they are going against this tradition.

I'm sure the game will be beautiful, I'm sure it will sell well on the PS3, and I have no hopes of it coming to the 360 as it has been stated multiple times it isn't. That said, I think it's just going to be another disaster in terms of wishing for a good game. I can hope by improvement they mean not being the piece of crap that XII was, but I'm guessing by improvement they really do mean graphical standards and they will just continue to use the same exact characters over and over again and just make a giant fan service.

Another FFVII movie bah X_X.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

=/ I consider FFXII the best of the serie... oh well opinions are different.

@ the card game announcment - hello new PSEye game.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:

=/ I consider FFXII the best of the serie... oh well opinions are different.

I'm sorry, but this forum isn't here for opinions.

hunter_alien said:

Please keep your opinion to yourself ... I was never a big FF fan , and Im still not , but as with many others , FFVII made me to look into the serie , and I was pleasantly surprised actually ...

By the way, what server are you on in FFXI?

@Mr Stickball: the White Engine is made for multiplatform use, so 360 games using it is very likely.

Do you have a source on that? I've never heard about it being anything but a ground-up PS3 engine.

The White Engine is an exclusive seventh generation game engine built to be used with "all of the [Square Enix's] forthcoming next-generation games" on the PlayStation 3, as commented by Final Fantasy Versus XIII character designer Tetsuya Nomura.
The White Engine reportedly uses 4 of the 6 synergistic processing elements (SPEs) that are available to games running on the Cell processor, to achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime.

That's from Wikipedia, so make of it what you will. But the interview in the OP (the part about programming the specs specifically to the PS3) seems to confirm it.

Um, all that proves is that they aren't planning on a port at the moment.

Correction: it proves that they aren't planning on planning for a port at the moment. If they considered a port even a minor possibility, they would have gone with more universal specs to save them a lot of trouble later if they ever decided to port it. So rather than just not planning on a port right now, they're not even considering the possibility that they might want to at some point.

That's still not a 100%, eternal guarantee, of course. But I think this cements it further.

Edit: 

Oh yeah, and I hope that quote about the airship map means what it sounds like. I'm a big fan of the PS2 FFs, but the point-and-click airship system those games used is pretty lame compared to the old way. Flying around the world in 60 realtime seconds in an airship the size of a city doesn't seem to fit into the "realistic" style they've been going for over the past couple games, though... I figured we'd have to wait for the next FF9-style "classic" FF to see the return of the world map. Here's hoping.

Borkachev said:
@Mr Stickball: the White Engine is made for multiplatform use, so 360 games using it is very likely.

Do you have a source on that? I've never heard about it being anything but a ground-up PS3 engine.

The White Engine is an exclusive seventh generation game engine built to be used with "all of the [Square Enix's] forthcoming next-generation games" on the PlayStation 3, as commented by Final Fantasy Versus XIII character designer Tetsuya Nomura.
The White Engine reportedly uses 4 of the 6 synergistic processing elements (SPEs) that are available to games running on the Cell processor, to achieve near-pre-rendered CGI quality in realtime.

That's from Wikipedia, so make of it what you will. But the interview in the OP (the part about programming the specs specifically to the PS3) seems to confirm it.

Um, all that proves is that they aren't planning on a port at the moment.

Correction: it proves that they aren't planning on planning for a port at the moment. If they considered a port even a minor possibility, they would have gone with more universal specs to save them a lot of trouble later if they ever decided to port it. So rather than just not planning on a port right now, they're not even considering the possibility that they might want to at some point.

That's still not a 100%, eternal guarantee, of course. But I think this cements it further.

1. I can't find the link, but S-E did state that FFXIII, and the engine, started on the PS2, so it is a multiplatform engine.

2. What makes you think other ports were not done as afterthoughts, with no plans of plans made in the middle of development? So again, it's just a denial, not proof. The only proof will be if the the 360 ends its cycle without a port of the game. Nothing short will prove the game won't be ported, or even add one drop of cementing any proof.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Borkachev said:

You broke rule #1: don't quote Wikipedia as fact, quote its references.