By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - At the end, is FFXIII good enough or not?

Tanstalas said:
radha said:
Tanstalas said:
I'd recommend you finish 9 :) that was my favorite FF game ever!

Though 13 is definitely in my top 3, up there with 9 and 10.

As said earlier all very linear for first 20 hours (in my case it was 25 hours), though I liked FF12 - you said it was boring, was it because of the battle system? If so, you may not like 13..

I'd say rent it to try it, but yeah you have to play 20-25 hours before the game "opens up"

First part of game was very linear and kinda boring, walk a bit, fight, get a cutscene, rinse and repeat... I understand the reason they did it was probably to tell the backstory, etc, but would have been nice to have a couple branching paths at the start so I didn't feel so confined.

Hell even mice that run those mazes for cheese get alternate paths ;)

Yeah 9 was my second favorite am waiting for it to appear on PSN but am afraid i cant stand the graphics anymore,

Ugh, no kidding, I have FFVII still on disc's and I bought 8 when it hit PSN, I can't take the blocky looking graphics... I'll have to hook it up so a smaller, SD screen, or buy a bigger memory card dua and play it on my PSP

I've messaged Kevin Butler via twitter to pull some strings and get us 9 on PSN, I miss Vivi :(

aw cmon guys! fuck the graphics the game is great! i played 7 and 9 over the summer on a 42 inch lcd. yeah the graphics were ass but both games still rocked just like they did 10 years ago.

Around the Network
radha said:
everyone keeps saying it get better after chapter 10 but how many chapter are there and how long do they last, the chapter could be 5 hours or 30 hours and if there are around 15 chapters that stupid, why wait until 80 % of the game to make it fun? there have to be at least 30 chapters i suppose

13 chapters

You should be at chapter 11 after 15 - 25 hours of playtime.

I don't know yet as I am still on Chapter 11, but I hear that it is the longest and depending on how many of the side missions you do it could take 10-20 hours more to complete the game? (Someone may need to correct me)

Unicorns ARE real - They are just fat, grey and called Rhinos

Soonerman said:
The game so far is meh. I've only played a few hours and the linearity is kind of annoying. Now, I realize that linearity is found in most FFs at the beginning. I'm just not used to this "behind the character" camera position. Funny cuz I'm also playing Dead Space and I feel the game is better with this camera view. Perhaps it is cuz Dead Space you have places to explore rather than going straight up?

Oh, and if you're old school RPGer you will not like the battle system.

I'm an old school RPG'r and I find the battle system deep and rewarding. No where nearly as deep and rewarding as XII though. I never really went in for nostalga, or the simplistic spreadsheet battles from days gone by. XIII is an evolution of those games, most certainly.

XII had the problem of being the anthesis of "user friendly," but any game that is THAT rewarding, isn't gonna be for everyone. I ended up feeling better about my XII team than I did about my epic'd rogue in WoW. XIII on the other hand, finds a good mix with its battle system. User friendly enough, but also relatively deep and challenging.

On a purley presentational level, XIII is a triumph. You won't find its match. The battle system is fun, and deep, if not as exciting as some previous entries. The story is also pretty interesting, and the vistas and landscapes are truely worth playing the game by themselves.

The bad bits really boil down to lack of variation in gameplay. Many of the old FF games are remembers as so great because they have tons of things to do in them. There are several parts of VII(for instance) which could be classified as their own game. Snowboarding, Chocobo Racing, Chocobo Breeding, ect. XIII lacks variation in its gameplay, and that is why a lot of people complain.

It's a great game.

I'd wager that if this game didn't have the FF name attached to it, it would garner a cult following, and be hailed by many, many people as the greatest game of this generation.

However, we expected a godlike game, because the game is called Final Fantasy. What we got was a great game. Some people might not like it, but hell, I hate LBP, but I still know it's great. You don't have to like things to understand why other people do.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Tanstalas said:
radha said:
everyone keeps saying it get better after chapter 10 but how many chapter are there and how long do they last, the chapter could be 5 hours or 30 hours and if there are around 15 chapters that stupid, why wait until 80 % of the game to make it fun? there have to be at least 30 chapters i suppose

13 chapters

I don't know yet as I am still on Chapter 11, but I hear that it is the longest and depending on how many of the side missions you do it could take 10-20 hours more to complete the game? (Someone may need to correct me)

OMG that is absurd, 75% of the game before been able to control your actions?

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Radha, I'm with you man. I love exploration in RPGs and taking risks to find treasure. FF series has had absolutely nothing to do with exploration since maybe probably FF6. Yes there are some hidden chests, but dungeons seem so straightforward. It's like you're lead along. FFX was nothing more than walking in a straight line for 5 screens or so to get from town to town. At least the temples provided some puzzle and maze-like qualities. I never played 12, though. With the MMO style it might have some exploration type qualities to it. (After FFX I gave up on buying anything with FF in the title I'm afraid.)

Around the Network
klystron said:
Radha, I'm with you man. I love exploration in RPGs and taking risks to find treasure. FF series has had absolutely nothing to do with exploration since maybe probably FF6. Yes there are some hidden chests, but dungeons seem so straightforward. It's like you're lead along. FFX was nothing more than walking in a straight line for 5 screens or so to get from town to town. At least the temples provided some puzzle and maze-like qualities. I never played 12, though. With the MMO style it might have some exploration type qualities to it. (After FFX I gave up on buying anything with FF in the title I'm afraid.)

damn it, thats what happening to me, last FF i bought was FFX. Someone lend me XII, but i was really hoping for this one to be a good FF, spcielly since with the current processing power dev can create a more believeble world, but look like square decided to go the oposite way, instead of making you believe you are in another world it sound as if you are seen a movie and that is sooo sad. In every FF before X i could get lost, and i spoke to every NPC to find out if any of them had a special mini game or something, even if it was just a postion that was still cool. 

Im still confuse, i keep thinking "is only 60 buck why not buy it and make my own judgement?", but then i think "if i buy it ill be supporting this kind of mediocrity, and EE will keep making this kind of game (they just wanted our money and where not commited to the spirit of the series)".

Obviuslly there is something wrong with FFXIII, titles like HALO 3, GoW 3, etc appeal to most of thier fans and reviewers, leaving only a few that dislike them, but with this FF there are even more critics than with FF XII.

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

radha said:
Tanstalas said:
radha said:

13 chapters

OMG that is absurd, 75% of the game before been able to control your actions?

Chapter 11-13 are about as long as chapter 1-10. Sure the game restricts you for the first half of the game but it allows it to have a stronger characters and story that blow pretty much any other jrpg this generations story out of the water easily. It's not like the first 10 chapters are a chore to play through if you liked ff10 or most of the other ff games. I wouldn't pass this up it's a good game and like i said before good luck finding a better jrpg this generation that have a good blend of a great story and good gameplay.

i am at chapter 13 now, and my honest opinion of the all FFs at the moment is:

top to bottom: top being favorite:
FF6
FF9
FF7
FF10
FF8
FF4
FF5
FF13
FF1
FF2
FF12.

i have not played FF3.

but the game is extremely linear, even more so than 10 was in my opinion.
the linearity is not the big problem for me though, it is the battle system for me.
The battle system is for me a tedious and repetitive experience, and i dont like the thing with controlling only 1 character.
i personally miss the good old ATB system known from FF4-FF9, but i also like the system in 10.
the story is OK compared to the others, and the characters are, for the most part, likeable.

in my opinion it is a good game, but not quite worthy of the Final Fantasy title to be honest.

FFXIII is a boring game. 20+ hours of a tuturial, linear pathway through the first 10 chapters. Squeenix has to punish gamers. You can not really level up in this game until you reach chapter 11.
Apparently the last 3 chapters of FFXIII gets a lot better and branches out and displays some of the best graphics on HD consoles. But you have to be punished for 20+ hours of a mandatory tutorial to get a good game towards the end. I was done with FFXIII after only 4 chapters, returned the game for a full refund.

Avneyet said:

it down to your preference of games.

personally I found FF13 soo boring I gave up after 2 hours but thats just me

In all fairness its an improvement on FF12 but its certainly not a turn bases RPG, well its "turn based" but with the way the camera plays ping pong with the screen and the fact u can only control on character its rteally not turned based.

this game feels more of a cross between a very bad star ocean and FF12.

But i know alot of people that love it! so watch some you tube videos and make up ur own mind :D

Yes the tutorial was boring and you gave up lol

@OP: its close to be the best in the series, and do not watch youtube videos...they tell you nothing