By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS2 with two screens but layered. Offers 3-D without glasses. Good Idea

I guess you could put this into a what if category but I remember reading many years back about something like this in Popular Science magazine. Problem is they always have high concept but unlikely tech in there. Always thought it would fit with Handhelds so I did a search and I found this....

PureDepth have announced that they have acquired a patent for Multi-Layer 3D OLED displays. PureDepth Multi-Layer-Displays (MLD) use two or more displays that are placed one in front of the other to create 3D effects. These 3D displays do not require glasses and provide real depth!

One of the markets the PureDepth are targeting are mobile devices, and OLEDs are becoming more and more popular in that market. Up until now PureDepth had only LCD related patents, but now they can work on 3D OLEDs, too – which is a pretty sweet bit of news!

If these guys can make 3D work (properly) on a mobile device, you are looking at the next generation of screen technology I reckon – time will tell, of course. You can check out more about PureDepth here....

http://www.puredepth.com/

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

Around the Network

The patent describes "an interactive imaging system with a perception of depth includes at least two screens configured to show a three-dimensional image, where the user can manipulate the image via control means. The control means can comprise touch screen controls, or means adjacent to the screens such as buttons, touchpads or a joystick. Image information may be transmitted over the internet or other communication means. Applications include computer games and simulators. Advertising messages may be displayed on one screen while images are being displayed on other screens".

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

Dang I thought that they were releasing a DS2 now...from your thread

Sorry dude. I wasn't sure how to title it.

LuStaysTru said:
Sorry dude. I wasn't sure how to title it.

I thought you did rather well with the title.

But what's an OLED? Organic LED?

Around the Network

Could that technology display actual threedimensional objects, or is it more like "parallax scrolling" on multiple flat planes?

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

It will be like this:

- 1st DS2 model: Improved graphics and features over the first DS plus motion sensing and robust online.

-2nd DS2 model (about 1,5 years later): Smaller, same shit as above plus OLED screens to introduce real depth aka 3D with no need of glasses. Dating sims explode in Japan.

- 3rd DS model (about 2 years later): Same shit as above, same dimensions in a different design plus a projector lens so you can project on the ground, walls, ceiling, the pics you take with the 3.0 mpx camera (which was just 2.0 in the first model)

Call me crazy, but this is probably something sony would do first. They are on a 3-d kick aren't they? Unless this company is owned by nintendo?

ElRhodeo said:
Could that technology display actual threedimensional objects, or is it more like "parallax scrolling" on multiple flat planes?

The latter. It's basically multiple layers of 2d graphics.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Didn't they already show the DS with some sort of head tracking 3D? That was very cool and I'd like to see more of that.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.