By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS2 with two screens but layered. Offers 3-D without glasses. Good Idea

Snesboy said:
LuStaysTru said:
Sorry dude. I wasn't sure how to title it.

I thought you did rather well with the title.

But what's an OLED? Organic LED?

Yep it's Organic, whatever that means I'm not sure but it's supposed to deliver 1Million:1 true contrast ratios and it's paper thin. Already being used in some digital cameras and the Zune HD.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

Around the Network

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure if the user experience justifies the extra expense of a second screen, four screens if you want to keep the design similar to the current DS and offer 3D on both. Handhelds need to be very selective about their hardware to control bulk, cost and power consumption.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

WereKitten said:
ElRhodeo said:
Could that technology display actual threedimensional objects, or is it more like "parallax scrolling" on multiple flat planes?

The latter. It's basically multiple layers of 2d graphics.

I think so, too. But I'd like to see what clever combinations of multiple layers for the same object developers come up with. Or how they will do transitions between layers.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

The top screen could slide up to resemble the current DS more or back down to have the layers for 3D. That way it could be backwards compatible.

"What have i done.? Is it too late to save me from this place? From the depths of the grave? We all are those .. who thought we were brave."

LuStaysTru totally called the 3DS.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Wow, well done, congrats on predicting the future, man!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Holy shit you ARE A PROPHET.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Thanks all. I really appreciate the recognition.

..But all I really did was take this technology that I learned about years ago. Looked at the latest 3D craze that was going on. Realized that hey the DS already has multiple displays, it's just laid out different.. and put it all together.

LCD (and OLED) screens are naturally transparent y'kno.

Lu really does stay tru!

You read it here first.
About the only thing the OP didn't nail was the name.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV