By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony copies, we innovate." - Nintendo

They do realize Phil left the company ages ago ?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Around the Network

I always have to laugh because these topics always turn into a console history class.

And then I get sad because the people that need to know this stuff aren't the ones actually paying attention. ;_;

Nice of Nintendo to talk about innovation NOW.

Now, tell me something, anything about Nintendo innovating in their previous generations?

SNES? what was innovative about that one again? A controller with more buttons?

Nintendo 64? what's groundbreaking about it that made every developer turn their back from them? Cartridges in a CD world? next... Oh wait, you may mention the analog stick, but that was a concept already present in previous consoles (Atari, Coleco, Intellevision, others).

Gamecube? a cube... Microsoft makes de Xbox, and Nintendo created...THE LUNCH BOX! ah, no..nothing innovative whatsoever here. Atrocious design from head to toe by the way.

Whatever Nintendo "innovates" Sony can do it better, though. And all that matters to me , the consumer, is to get what is best TO ME. I don't care who invented the freaking car or who invented the MOUSE I use on my computer, or who invented whatever....I go for what I consider the best.

room414 said:
d21lewis said:
Analog stick + 4 "C" buttons = Analog stick + Analog stick

analog stick was done on vectrex and atari 5200 before nintendo copied it

Analog stick =/= Joystick =s

@twesterm , i agree its always "but (some company) are the first to do (something)" ALWAYS

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
room414 said:
d21lewis said:

Analog stick =/= Joystick =s

@twesterm , i agree its always "but (some company) are the first to do (something)" ALWAYS

analog stick = analog stick

Around the Network

This is completely silly.

Of course Nintendo is going to be upset about anything remotely touching on their zone of influence. They are not like MS or Sony, that have other divisions to fallback on if all else fails. They cannot offer TV/console deals (like Sony) or Xbox live/PC/cellphone cross functioning like MS.

They are a gaming company, first and foremost. This is what they are and who could blame then for defending their native (and really only) turf.

(and yes, the article is from 2006, but even still this applies)

Why doesnt Nintendo sue them for copy infringement or for royalties.......

Really now....Sony has done nothing but copy this GEN!!

Impulsivity said:

Remember how Nintendo pioneered the use of Disc based media in consoles? Oh wait, they stayed with cartridges 5 years past their prime. Not sure if it was pionered, but the Famicom disc system was quite early. Pretty sure Sony was the first to use DVD in the PS2, so is the Wii a ripoff? It's not strictly DVD, though it is DVD tech, i'll give you that... not that DVD makes much difference to gameplay.  Reportedly Sony shopped the PS1 to Nintendo and Nintendo told Sony they were crazy and should go away.  That worked out well for big N in the first and second generation of modern games huh? Well there are two sides to every story, but from what I can tell, Nintendo made some demands that Sony thought were un-reasonable when the two partnered to make the super famicom disc system (entirely possible, as Yamauchi wasn't the most reasonable fellow) then Sony broke the contract. Or it might have been the other way around.... either way both parties were at fault.

Remember how Nintendo had an online gaming network that let you play with dozens of other gamers with unique usernames and voice chat? Oh, they still don't have that? Then in strictest terms... they haven't copied it They did do an online system for SNES though, but it was Japan only I think. (satellaview?)

If by gameplay innovations they mean the innovation of remaking the same game from the 80s or early 90s 8 times and leaving 90% of it the same (see Mario kart, Smash bros, New Super Mario Bros etc) then yes, they do indeed own that innovation. I'll take the innovations of games with the scale of movies, interactive drama, customizable level creators and photo realistic graphics thank you very much. Good for you.

saying that wall of 90% shovelware and retreads that is the Wii section of Best Buy is the innovative future of gaming is like me saying that movies like Twilight are the future of innovative cinema in the US. If thats true heaven help us.

The arrogance of Nintendo with their current slate of decided mediocrity when it comes to games is just maddening.

I'm going to of course catch flack for saying anything bad about Nintendo, but if the PR guy quoted can lead off with calling Sony an inferior copy machine it kind of sets the tone doesn't it?

This Gen Little Big Planet, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain have been as innovative as anything I've seen come from Nintendo in over a decade.I'll give you LBP and Heavy Rain as being very innovative sure, but as is the same with Nintendo's innovations, they are not neccesarily new ideas, they are collections of old ideas.

I think the guys statements are harsh (even if as usual the internet media manages to overblow everything that was said), I don't like people "trash talking" others in an attempt to get ahead, annoyingly that seems to happen a lot here in the UK, party political broadcasts have basically become a flame war.

room414 said:
d21lewis said:

Vectrex I am not sure about..... I do know there was 1 consoles that had a proper analogue stick before, not sure if the Vectrex is the one I am thinking of.

Are you sure the 5200 had an analogue stick (ie did not just work like a stick based d-pad.... an analogue stick has to have both variable direction and variable tilt in it.... otherwise it is a digital stick.

TWRoO said:
room414 said:
d21lewis said:

Vectrex I am not sure about..... I do know there was 1 consoles that had a proper analogue stick before, not sure if the Vectrex is the one I am thinking of.

Are you sure the 5200 had an analogue stick (ie did not just work like a stick based d-pad.... an analogue stick has to have both variable direction and variable tilt in it.... otherwise it is a digital stick.

Just going by what it says in wikipedia. I'm not at all tech saavy but i assume it's accurate as these controllers are still around.

In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick[2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

This is also interesting. Apparently sony came out with dual analog sticks before nintendo used one with the 64 console.

In 1995, Sony (realizing that analog technology could be useful) created a potentiometer-based analog joystick for use in Flight-Simulation games. The Sony Dual Analog FlightStick featured twin analog sticks and was used in games such as "Descent" to provide a much greater degree of freedom than the typical digital joysticks of the day.

In 1996 Nintendo introduced a thumb-operated control stick on their Nintendo 64 controller. While it was still a digital stick, not an analog one,[3] (one that operated on the same principles as a mechanical computer mouse), the Nintendo 64's Control stick still allowed for a great deal of varying levels of pressure and near-360-degree control, translating into far more precise movements than was possible with a D-pad. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_stick