By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Stig: GoW III engine only running at “50%”

God of War III looks amazing. I can't stress that enough, and I'm still impressed even after having completed the game for review. But according to the game's director, Sig Asmussen, there's plenty of room for improvements, which we'll see in Sony Santa Monica's next title. 

"Well, I think our studio will use this engine again," he told me today, "and it'll get better. And I think we're probably about 50- or 60-percent at it right now. I think there's a lot more we can do with it."

What improvements could be made? For one, Asmussen says the game's animation system could be tweaked. In fact, he says they already have the tech. 

"I think individually our animations are incredible," he said, "and our animators are incredibly talented. But I think we could make our system technically better, in the way we blend animations. And I'm pretty sure that we already have the code to do that, and we just didn't implement it in God of War III because it came in real late."

He also points to other obvious engine improvements, including lighting, seamlessly transitioning from cut-scenes to gameplay, and more. 

While this might seem like a "captain obvious" -- of course it's working to improve its engine -- looking at God of War III, it's exciting to imagine what could come next. My head, it has exploded.  

http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-10-god-of-war-iii-game-director-says-game-s-visuals-could-be-improved-166638.phtml

Around the Network

here we go... sounds good though.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Actually several reviews have mentioned issues these issues with gow3.. so unless they tell me they are going to make the graphics 40-50% better then i dont really care.

Lazy developers.

Edit: Well I guess not, they are first party after all and first party developers are never lazy.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

eggs2see said:
Actually several reviews have mentioned issues these issues with gow3.. so unless they tell me they are going to make the graphics 40-50% better then i dont really care.

which issue ? the issues mentionned by (and only by ?) IGN ?

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Glad to hear they have further ideas.
The best part of Uncharted 2's graphics was... well, admittedly everything.
But the best best part for me was the animation layering and blending.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

They are pulling percentages out of their behinds as shamelessly as Fox.
Can't we just agree/settle that the game is awesome and not mentioned some imaginary numbers?

It's also weird that the PS3 devs are pulling these numbers while the X360 not. Are they moneyhatted to mention it?

Twistedpixel said:

Lazy developers.

Edit: Well I guess not, they are first party after all and first party developers are never lazy.

No install proves they are not lazy.

Well when I played gow2 I was shocked at how great graphics were, honestly for a ps2 that came in 2001 they were INCREDIBLE!

gurglesletch said:
Twistedpixel said:

Lazy developers.

No install proves they are not lazy.

No it proves they know how to make a linear game.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?