By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Other M was an on Rails Shooter

Yeah, this really does seem to be taken deliberately out of context on kotaku's part. From the sounds of it, he basically wanted something more akin to Metroid/Super Metroid in presentation and control, but Team Ninja wanted 3D. The end result was a mixing of the two.
What concerns me is that could mean what I have feared, that the 3D elements will be awkwardly shoehorned into what should have been a branching paths/2D experience.

Around the Network

FEAR THE TROLLS!! I choose to take out one of the pics may not have been ok to keep up.

Damn..that wouldve sucked HARDCORE

TaichungSteve said:
Yeah, this really does seem to be taken deliberately out of context on kotaku's part. From the sounds of it, he basically wanted something more akin to Metroid/Super Metroid in presentation and control, but Team Ninja wanted 3D. The end result was a mixing of the two.
What concerns me is that could mean what I have feared, that the 3D elements will be awkwardly shoehorned into what should have been a branching paths/2D experience.

So instead of Team Ninja being the 'saviors' of the project, they caused a compromise that potentially made the game worse.

Around the Network

Oh wow................Other M would have had endless heat.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

Innervate said:

So instead of Team Ninja being the 'saviors' of the project, they caused a compromise that potentially made the game worse.

Other M's unique blend of 2.5 D side scrolling and FPS 3D exploration looks like a great new mechanic that I hope we'll get to see in other games.

It's also a good use of the Wiimote that makes the project make sense as part of the Wii's library. I'm still pretty happy with what Team Ninja did.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Khuutra said:

I so woudl have bought that though!

O-D-C said:
Why so much hate for the on-rails genre?

Anyway, good thing that this isin't on rails, it looks awesome

its not a bad genre but there are too many of them on the Wii, and Wii owners want more effort put in the games! , Rail shooters take no effort whatsoever.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

If it was On rails, It would fail pretty badly in sales and reviews.