By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - History lesson regarding motion tracking in video gaming

Carl2291 said:
nightsurge said:
darklich13 said:
nightsurge said:
And I'm sure if you look back further Amiga got their inspiration from something else and so on and so forth.

The Joyboard came out in 1982.

So you're saying that MikeB is too short sighted and it actually traces back much further to things like the Joyboard in the 1980s?

Figures.  MikeB always was a blatant Amiga and now PS3 "enthusiast" through and through.

Quit hating on everything Mike says.

The Joyboard is the AMIGA Joyboard. Mike talks about it in the OP.

"Also for example Wii-Fit from basic idea point of view is also pretty similar to the Amiga Joyboard, a balance board controller from 1982. You would balance on the board to surf or ski."

You would know this if you actually read what he had wrote and didn't just hate on what was there.

Lol my bad, I tried to read it but it was filled with MikeB's personal agenda of glorifying Amiga so I stopped.  Pretty drab and annoying after reading it a million times.  Really it does boggle my mind how some people can still put up with him in any way shape or form.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
nightsurge said:
darklich13 said:
nightsurge said:
And I'm sure if you look back further Amiga got their inspiration from something else and so on and so forth.

So you're saying that MikeB is too short sighted and it actually traces back much further to things like the Joyboard in the 1980s?

Figures.  MikeB always was a blatant Amiga and now PS3 "enthusiast" through and through.

Quit hating on everything Mike says.

The Joyboard is the AMIGA Joyboard. Mike talks about it in the OP.

"Also for example Wii-Fit from basic idea point of view is also pretty similar to the Amiga Joyboard, a balance board controller from 1982. You would balance on the board to surf or ski."

You would know this if you actually read what he had wrote and didn't just hate on what was there.

Lol, somebody just failed hard.

I wish more people knew things like this.

nightsurge said:
darklich13 said:
nightsurge said:

The point is that Nintendo didn't invent motion control. Sony was using it before Nintendo, and countless companies before Sony. Where it started isn't really relevant. It's quite an old concept.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Wonktonodi said:
famousringo said:
Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb. He just perfected it and brought it successfully to market, revolutionizing lighting technology.

But who cares about him. He didn't invent it. That's why the name Frederick de Moleyns is so famous today while Edison has faded into obscurity.

Just amazing how that public perception works huh? 

Not so amazing when you think about it. It makes perfect sense for people to have more respect for a practical, effective idea that actually impacts their life than they have for an undeveloped, ineffective, and poorly-supported idea that they didn't even know existed.

Not that invention isn't an important first step, but it's only the first step in a much larger process. Without the rest of the process, an invention is worth almost nothing. Edison was a good inventor, but where he really excelled was in refining and developing inventions into practical commercial products, which is the point where you actually start improving people's lives.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

if it depended on me id kill motion sensing...

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Thomas Edison didn't invent the light bulb. He just perfected it and brought it successfully to market, revolutionizing lighting technology.

But who cares about him. He didn't invent it. That's why the name Frederick de Moleyns is so famous today while Edison has faded into obscurity.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Wonktonodi said:
Cheebee said:
Wonktonodi said:
Cheebee said:

It doesn't really matter who first came up with the initial idea, it's who took the idea and made it into something big, appealing and successful. And while Sony or any other company may or may not have come up with some/a lot of great concepts in videogaming first, fact remains it was Nintendo who pioneered most of the things that are now considered industry standards by intuitively implementing them and making them successful. Some examples would be the D-pad, shoulder buttons, analog sticks, rumble, touchscreen gaming, Z-targeting, 3D platforming and motion sensing. Whether these may or may not have been Nintendo's own inventions is beside the point: they are the ones who made it into what it is these days.

They are the one that some people think made these things big, but public perception is often more important than reality. 

Not quite sure what you're trying to say there... who do you think 'the public' thinks made these things, then? I'm pretty sure whenever you mention things like '3D platforming', 'D-pad', or 'motion sensing', they will think of Nintendo, not some obscure company from the '80's or earlier that most people have probably never even heard of.

well what about analog sticks I think peopel would think of sony for that even if they didn't use it first but because they used 2 and things got big with it during late ps days.    Not some obscure company from the 80s,  just saying how not even all the things on your first list are things that all would associate with Nintedo first.  Some rightly so and others it gets associated with someone who used it latter than instead of before nintendo. 

I guess what I was getting at is that people try use public perception to complain about a company making a copy of something when at the same time the public perception is often wrong.  So those that are complaining have a misguided complaint. 

Ah, alright then. Yeah, well in my 1st post I was referring to us informed gamers, not the public. I'm pretty sure the majority of informed gamers knows the things I mentioned were Nintendo's doing. You were more referring to the public perception side of things, so I see where you're coming from.

Of course, there may be some things the general public doesn't see as Nintendo's inventions, like you mentioned, but that I really don't know for sure, 'cos I'm too much into gaming to be considered uninfluenced public. Of course, a lot of those things also have to do with what/whoever is the most popular. The PS1 and 2 were much more popular than the N64 and GC, so of course more people from the uninformed, general public, will think things like the analog stick for example are a playstation thing. In the same way, and probably even moreso, things like touch screen gaming and motion sensing are nowadays seen as things Nintendo pioneered.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

MikeB said:
BTW one of the core Amiga inventors is currently working on PS3 projects. RJ Mical is for example in the credits of Uncharted 2: Amongst thieves (Senior Manager, Platform Team), last year's game of the year.

Oh cool!

and Thanks for the informative article...tbh I didn't even know about the amiga...good read

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

forest-spirit said:
So...everybody copied Amiga?

No everyone copied Xerox. Which ironically, makes copiers now.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

famousringo said:
Wonktonodi said:
famousringo said:

Just amazing how that public perception works huh? 

Not so amazing when you think about it. It makes perfect sense for people to have more respect for a practical, effective idea that actually impacts their life than they have for an undeveloped, ineffective, and poorly-supported idea that they didn't even know existed.

Not that invention isn't an important first step, but it's only the first step in a much larger process. Without the rest of the process, an invention is worth almost nothing. Edison was a good inventor, but where he really excelled was in refining and developing inventions into practical commercial products, which is the point where you actually start improving people's lives.

but is it the same to respect someone as it is to give them credit for making it?  who created the spreadsheet program?  most people don't know and don't even care yet he make something that that impacts most people lives.  So there is also the aspect of what people are taught and how much a person continues to do afterword.  If Edison had only made the light bulb big and nothing more people wouldn't know him, but since he founded GE it did help him get the recognition.  On the reverse sometimes it's the creators we remember an not those who made things big or practical.  Ray Kroc is the one who made McDonalds big but people would think the McDolalds brothers if they even think of it at all.