By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people in the UK often pretend they're not in Europe?

Britania is an island off the coast of Europe.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
NJ5 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
1. They are not connected by land to most of Europe
2. Believe it or not, they're one of the only countries that speaks English in Europe
3. They have their own currency
4. They have the most history out of any European nation
5. They could kick France's ass whenever they wanted!

1. Has already been discussed earlier
2. So?
3. See 1.
4. Not true.
5. France has nuclear weapons :P

1. Yes it has

2. Its just another way they are separated from mainland europe. You don't think language barriers exist?

3. Yeah it has

4. Who has more history than Britain?

5. France is too chicken shit to ever use them. Plus France is a joke, how long did it take Germany in WWII? About 1 month right?

2. You might be interested to know that almost all European countries have their own language too. This doesn't make the UK unique. Geez did I really have to point this out?

4. Greece for example?

5. What does this have to do with anything anyway?

2. Yeah but in mainland Europe there are different countriest that speak the same language more frequently. For examples, German is an official language of Austria, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Switzerland. And Russian is the official language in Russia, Moldova and Belarus, and is widely spoken in Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

English on the other hand the official language in just UK, Ireland and the small nation of Malta. All I'm trying to say is while yeah most countries in EU have their own language, there are some languages that are spoken in multiple countries; but English is only spoken in 3 countries in Europe (2 of which are islands not in mainland Europe)

4. I don't know much about Greek history, but I'll give you this one.

5. I just like making fun of France

Chairman-Mao said:
NJ5 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
NJ5 said:
Chairman-Mao said:
1. They are not connected by land to most of Europe
2. Believe it or not, they're one of the only countries that speaks English in Europe
3. They have their own currency
4. They have the most history out of any European nation
5. They could kick France's ass whenever they wanted!

1. Has already been discussed earlier
2. So?
3. See 1.
4. Not true.
5. France has nuclear weapons :P

1. Yes it has

2. Its just another way they are separated from mainland europe. You don't think language barriers exist?

3. Yeah it has

4. Who has more history than Britain?

5. France is too chicken shit to ever use them. Plus France is a joke, how long did it take Germany in WWII? About 1 month right?

2. You might be interested to know that almost all European countries have their own language too. This doesn't make the UK unique. Geez did I really have to point this out?

4. Greece for example?

5. What does this have to do with anything anyway?

2. Yeah but in mainland Europe there are different countriest that speak the same language more frequently. For examples, German is an official language of Austria, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg and Switzerland. And Russian is the official language in Russia, Moldova and Belarus, and is widely spoken in Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

English on the other hand the official language in just UK, Ireland and the small nation of Malta. All I'm trying to say is while yeah most countries in EU have their own language, there are some languages that are spoken in multiple countries; but English is only spoken in 3 countries in Europe (2 of which are islands not in mainland Europe)

4. I don't know much about Greek history, but I'll give you this one.

5. I just like making fun of France

I can't believe you actually pulled out the language card.

What about Bulgarian? Armenian? Oh and I haven't even mentioned the big one, Spanish. Not only is it not an official language in any European country but it's only used in Andorra, a far smaller country than Malta. There are probably about a dozen languages which are official in only one country.

P.S. The Greeks in Greece have zero claim to be called Greeks. The real Greeks  were lost somewher between the Macedonian, Roman, Byzantinian, Turkish rule. Their history basically began a century ago. Might as well say American has a long history because of the ntive americans.

Ireland is an "Island Nation" and we consider ourselves part of Europe. Heck, Ireland would be nothing without Europe.

We have as much chance as Estonia to get tickets for the 2012 London Olympics.

Around the Network
blazinhead89 said:
Ireland is an "Island Nation" and we consider ourselves part of Europe. Heck, Ireland would be nothing without Europe.

Is that why you voted against the Lisbon treaty?

@Tombi. No, Ireland Voted FOR The Lisbon Treaty second time round. First Time round we were ( We thought ) we were voting against the Irish government as they fucked the country up.

Seriously guys... Europe's not really a continent. It has less claim then India or the Middle East would geographically and they have really just as much geopolitically.

Well, we all know we're part of Europe but culturally we're slightly different, and the historic rivalries between the UK and other European countries probably doesn't help. A few possible reasons:

1 The physical seperation does have an effect. You can't just drive somewhere and cross the border so there isn't as much communication at a base level between the UK and mainland European countries.

2.1 Politically and culturally we are probably closer to the US than most European countries. This is partly to do with language as we both speak English. Even small things like when we see Hollywood films we don't have to watch them dubbed. Might seem odd but little things like this can make the population respond more with American culture than if a film is dubbed where the voice can reflect the mannerisms of that particular country. Often the actors that do the dubbing are just as famous as the actual actors playing the role.

2.2 Culturally, Europeans appear to drink socially, in the UK we drink heavily and get pissed... a lot. Europeans probably see us as larger louts, not helped by certain UK people's behaviour in Europe.

2.3 We're also refered to as America's largest aircraft carrier... I don't say this as a good thing.

3 It's been a while since we were invaded. Traditionally it was European countries that invaded us, but it hasn't happened for a while so the UK populace have likely developed a greater sense of independence compared to other European countries where in recent history there has been more cross-over.

blazinhead89 said:

@ bolded

That's probably why you see yourselves as European. The advantages of the UK's involvement with Europe is not so obvious to most of the populace in the UK who see the UK as more independent than other European countries.