By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people in the UK often pretend they're not in Europe?

Kantor said:
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:
We spent centuries JOINING England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and now you want to separate them again?

Doesn't matter anyway, in the end the only thing that will remain is the European Union(I hope, hehe).

I say let's abolish all borders and states for one united Europe, but I'm pretty extreme in that way. First we have to clean out the EU anyway, lot's of things wrong with it.

I guess people are very nationalistic on Great Britain? Or am I mistaken?

I know the schots are, but I've never been to England or Wales(Or Ireland for that matter).

Fiercely nationalistic, for the most part. Have a look at the British members of the site.

That is to say, English people are nationalistic. About England. Scottish people are nationalistic about Scotland, and so on. Not the United Kingdom. In fact, pretty much country in the UK except for Northern Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong there) wants four separate countries rather than one state.

I personally take the view that more power, people and wealth for the country is always good. But then, if we separate from Scotland, Gordon Brown can't be Prime Minister. Hmmm, tempting.

Believe me, I know the Schots aren't nationalistic about United Kingdom xD

I've learned a valuable lesson to never call a Schot a brit ;x

Yeah, I also think more power, wealth and people is good for a country. That's why I want a unified Europe.

I think the Irish are more focused on religion then nationality. Then again, there's lot's of Irish people here in Belgium who are very proud of being Irish.

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Lord Flashheart said:
DeduS said:
Lord Flashheart said:
DeduS said:
Hey - it was the same in Germany - we still had that whole "OMG NAZI!"-thing going on, but along came the World Cup 2006 and with it a shitload of German flags and now it seems to be okay to have/show/wave a German flag.

Over here it was Euro '96 when the English started flying the correct flag. Watch the World cup of '66 and you'll see the union flag no Georgies.

Over here we was under the impression it was also Euro '96 for you guys as well.

Now all we need is a bloody national anthem.

I didn't even know you had no separate anthem. So... do they play God Save the Queen/King for every UK-country? (at sport events etc.)

God save the queen is the british anthem. Whenever GB play at sports it's used.

Scotland only its flower of Scotland

Wales is Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

England it's God save

NI its God save.
Both England and NI should have their own. For England it's between Land of Hope and glory or my pick Jerusalem.

After that it would be nice if England could get a capital city.

Parr that superfluous ceremonial bollocks. What we need is an English parliament. Labour were, at least, going to create regional English Assemblies, but a no-result from the North of England put an end to that.

Which surprised me as it was us Northerners that at one time were campaigning for the north to break away and form it's own country.

It was probably Yorkshire who gave the no-result as they always were the tories lackies.

Kantor said:

Fiercely nationalistic, for the most part. Have a look at the British members of the site.

That is to say, English people are nationalistic. About England. Scottish people are nationalistic about Scotland, and so on. Not the United Kingdom. In fact, pretty much country in the UK except for Northern Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong there) wants four separate countries rather than one state.

I personally take the view that more power, people and wealth for the country is always good. But then, if we separate from Scotland, Gordon Brown can't be Prime Minister. Hmmm, tempting.

I'm "English" and don't like people separating the UK. In my view they are all British, when I am asked my nationality I say British, I speak English. I certainly don't want a separate state either, I don't see how it will benefit or help each nation.

Then I've probably met more English who just don't care then those who want to separate, 'English' identity comes from natonal teams in sports and that's the extent I can see in most people.

Samus Aran said:

Believe me, I know the Schots aren't nationalistic about United Kingdom xD

I've learned a valuable lesson to never call a Schot a brit ;x

Yeah, I also think more power, wealth and people is good for a country. That's why I want a unified Europe.

I think the Irish are more focused on religion then nationality. Then again, there's lot's of Irish people here in Belgium who are very proud of being Irish.

I've called a Scot British before becuase that is what they are, they were born and live on the sland known as Great Britain, whether they want to deny it or not. Calling them English is wrong because they aren't.

Like this thread, I know I am European, I'll identify myself as British though. If someone called me European I wouldn't take offence. To take offence to it is a personal problem that you should see to.

Hmm, pie.

Lord Flashheart said:
SamuelRSmith said:
Lord Flashheart said:
DeduS said:
Lord Flashheart said:
DeduS said:
Hey - it was the same in Germany - we still had that whole "OMG NAZI!"-thing going on, but along came the World Cup 2006 and with it a shitload of German flags and now it seems to be okay to have/show/wave a German flag.

Over here it was Euro '96 when the English started flying the correct flag. Watch the World cup of '66 and you'll see the union flag no Georgies.

Over here we was under the impression it was also Euro '96 for you guys as well.

Now all we need is a bloody national anthem.

I didn't even know you had no separate anthem. So... do they play God Save the Queen/King for every UK-country? (at sport events etc.)

God save the queen is the british anthem. Whenever GB play at sports it's used.

Scotland only its flower of Scotland

Wales is Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

England it's God save

NI its God save.
Both England and NI should have their own. For England it's between Land of Hope and glory or my pick Jerusalem.

After that it would be nice if England could get a capital city.

Parr that superfluous ceremonial bollocks. What we need is an English parliament. Labour were, at least, going to create regional English Assemblies, but a no-result from the North of England put an end to that.

Which surprised me as it was us Northerners that at one time were campaigning for the north to break away and form it's own country.

It was probably Yorkshire who gave the no-result as they always were the tories lackies.

"No" vote was pretty much universal... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_English_devolution_referendums,_2004#The_result

So it was the Northumberland lot not the Yorkist.

Well they would have screwed it up next.
Besides Berwick-upon-Tweed probably didn't care as they were probably planning to invade Russia

It would have been interesting to see how the North west would have gone.

that referendum was for only one part of the north. An insignificant part that had a significant impact.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:
We spent centuries JOINING England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and now you want to separate them again?

Doesn't matter anyway, in the end the only thing that will remain is the European Union(I hope, hehe).

I say let's abolish all borders and states for one united Europe, but I'm pretty extreme in that way. First we have to clean out the EU anyway, lot's of things wrong with it.

I know the schots are, but I've never been to England or Wales(Or Ireland for that matter).

so what language will we all speak if we become the united states for europe?

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

i love xbox360 said:
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:

Either English or German. 

Most likely English, half of Europe already knows it anyway  

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
i love xbox360 said:
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:

Either English or German. 

Most likely English, half of Europe already knows it anyway  

ok good as im not going to learn anyother language!! english has to be the langauge of choice whether the french like it or not

SKEEZER AND NINTENDO FAN GIRL ARE MY NEMESIS

YES TO BEER

i love xbox360 said:
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:

English is already the offical language of international deals... so English would be the most logical... and as a bonus... easy for me!

More fun would be trying to see Europe put state conventions on a national scale.  Like who's national healthcare do we use... and can we even work it out with the greater costs due to the country being so damned big.

i love xbox360 said:
Samus Aran said:
Kantor said:

English as Lingua Franca.