By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why do people in the UK often pretend they're not in Europe?

Chairman-Mao said:
1. They are not connected by land to most of Europe
2. Believe it or not, they're one of the only countries that speaks English in Europe
3. They have their own currency
4. They have the most history out of any European nation
5. They could kick France's ass whenever they wanted!

1. Has already been discussed earlier
2. So?
3. See 1.
4. Not true.
5. France has nuclear weapons :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
mirgro said:
To be fair, I try not to think of the UK as a representative of Europe either. It's closer to the US socially than the rest of the European nations so if they want to think themselves different more power to them.

For the same reason I don't want to consider them part of Europe they don't considered themselves a part of Europe, I would assume. Social differences can go a long way on how a people feels about their country in its place in the world.

In what ways is the UK socially closer to the US than Europe?

And don't tell me it's because of the language please :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Chairman-Mao said:
2. Believe it or not, they're one of the only countries that speaks English in Europe

1. Nor are Iceland, Malta, Cyprus, or Ireland.
2. And Denmark is the only country in Europe that speaks danish, Italy is the bla bla bla.
3. Just like many other European contries.
5. Well... whatever

NJ5 said:
mirgro said:
To be fair, I try not to think of the UK as a representative of Europe either. It's closer to the US socially than the rest of the European nations so if they want to think themselves different more power to them.

For the same reason I don't want to consider them part of Europe they don't considered themselves a part of Europe, I would assume. Social differences can go a long way on how a people feels about their country in its place in the world.

In what ways is the UK socially closer to the US than Europe?

And don't tell me it's because of the language please :P

I did not mean the language. They are however more liberal of course.

I am also speaking of south and east Europe here, I have not spent a lot of time in France, Germany and Scandinavia to be able to give a fair evaluation.

As I was saying, a big problem I noticed in the US was the fact that people are more socially retarded (as in stunted, not stupid!) due to the fact they drive a ridiculous amount and live far away from the cities. Another problem is that in the US people put a lot more value on their job than they do their social life, and even sometimes their family.

In those respects I found the UK to be closer to the US than the US. When something happened in the UK, like the snowstorm a year or two back, the news talked about how much it cost in the economy. When a snowstorm hits Eastern Europe, which happens much more often, the news talks far less about the business ramification, in fact they rarely mention them.

Then I am not sure if this is the law, I doubt it is, but I had a lot of trouble finding a nice play to eat past 9pm or a bar to stay at past midnight. Also I felt like less clubs were open until the early morning, around 6-8am. I never had problems finding a place to eat even at 10 or 11 in other places in Europe, and  those places often had children there as well. In Spain, especially Madrid, bars are open until 3am and clubs until 8, used to be later but new laws put those times down. I had the same experience when I was in Italy and Eastern Europe.

The whole general feel of being in Europe felt closer to the US than it did to the EU. I haven't spent years living in each EU country, but I have spent months at a time in many different ones due to studies.

Edit: Not as relevant, but the food in the US is generally trash. The one in the UK is just tasteless and the best food I had my entire time there was Indian or the pies. France doesn't have its own food, but it has its own sauces and they are amazing, Germany has its meats, Spain and Italy are just amazing for food, Eastern Europe has a whole range of amazing foods, you get the idea.

Chairman-Mao said:

1. er...you dont know much about geography and how we define continents do you?
2. thats why most of the European members on here speak English then I take it? its also irrelevant, is France seperate because most people dont speak French?
3. so do several EU and European nations?
4. highly contentious point, show me the historical evidence of this.
5. is completley irrelevant and again contentious, based on that, the USA isnt part of continental America because it can "kick the other nations ass" whenever they want.

Around the Network

From a UK citizen's perspective... we are part of the continent of Europe but not what is known as mainland Europe. This has always given us a separation as such that we cling to due to old empire times.

Whether or not the 5 points listed by Chairman-Mao can be argued against they are points that main British people will use to say they are not 'European'.

I know I am in Europe and live in a European country but I would never identify myself as European. I am British.

Then separation still occurs on our little island too as indicated by many Welsh, Scots and English folk not identifying themselves as British but that only of their respective home countries.

Hmm, pie.

KylieDog said:
Because we ruled half the world.

f@#k yeah!

i know i probably sound very arrogant but i just love what Great Britian used to be.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

Simples, we are not mainland Europe.

I would rather not be associated with "those" people anyway

kowenicki said:
NKAJ said:
KylieDog said:
Because we ruled half the world.

f@#k yeah!

i know i probably sound very arrogant but i just love what Great Britian used to be.

nothing wrong with that.

yes the empire is gone....

but all of this modern day apologising for old imperialism crap really pisses me off. 

I agree.I think we have apologised enough for our colonial mistakes.To be honest we were a lot better than some of the colonial powers.

"They will know heghan belongs to the helghast"

"England expects that everyman will do his duty"

"we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender"

YAY!

NAY!!!