By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Total Cost of Ownership

Ahhh this is where you're going down. The sixaxis's tilt sensor isn't meant for every game, some games utilize it. That adds a small tilt (Pun intended) to the gameplay. With the Wii, every game must rely heavily on the wiimote, and I'd lay wager that you (yes, you) will tire of it in 2 years. You see, Nintendo relys heavy on the Wiimote's functionality. Strongly suggesting that every game will use the Wiimote's sensors. What if gamers want to take a casual game? What if they are tired of waving their arms around? (They WILL get tired) COD3 for the PS3 had players using the sixaxis to shake enemies off of them when they engage in melee combat.. that is a nice touch to gameplay, but does it heavily rely on that? No. So the sixaxis is a nice touch to gameplay... the wiimote is whoring it.

Around the Network

eViLj00 said: Ahhh this is where you're going down. The sixaxis's tilt sensor isn't meant for every game, some games utilize it. That adds a small tilt (Pun intended) to the gameplay. With the Wii, every game must rely heavily on the wiimote, and I'd lay wager that you (yes, you) will tire of it in 2 years. You see, Nintendo relys heavy on the Wiimote's functionality. Strongly suggesting that every game will use the Wiimote's sensors. What if gamers want to take a casual game? What if they are tired of waving their arms around? (They WILL get tired) COD3 for the PS3 had players using the sixaxis to shake enemies off of them when they engage in melee combat.. that is a nice touch to gameplay, but does it heavily rely on that? No. So the sixaxis is a nice touch to gameplay... the wiimote is whoring it.
And that is a problem? Once upon a time the ordinary gamepad was a revolution. That day people start get comfortable playing with the wiimote they might not want to go back to the old gamepad. I can't actuly see that it is a problem that Wii has motion sensor as it primary controll system (you could still use the classic controller), I honestly think it was the right choice. It means more games devloped with those controlls => better games using motion controll.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

I don't understand the point of this thread.... What's the point of it again? I spent over $3,000 on my SNES when I had it. Anyone can spend any amount on any system provided they like it. Thats why there are tier ratios.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Dont really know why he made this post. Can be that people think that the 600$ for the PS3 is much, but instead you get butt raped by the Wii controller cost and overpriced xbox360 harddrive,Xbox live etc . That is still cheap I spend over 1000$ on computer parts every year so all those consoles are pretty cheap. Spent last year 3000$, Dual 8800GTX is must have.

mrstickball said:
I don't understand the point of this thread.... What's the point of it again? I spent over $3,000 on my SNES when I had it. Anyone can spend any amount on any system provided they like it. Thats why there are tier ratios.

I finally had some time to jump back on the site.  Thanks for those who provided constructive feedback and went along with the topic.

My point, and I do have one, is that the purchase of a console is not just $250, $400, or $600.  Everyone keeps tossing those numbers around, but getting a new system is much more expensive than that and everything quickly adds up.  When you get down to it, the price differential of all of the new generation systems is less when you add in all the extras you'll want/need.  So the base price of a console does have an effect on sales, but consumers often take the other costs involved when deciding if they'll make a purchase or not.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network
souixan said:
eViLj00 said: Sorry if this sounds to horrible for you, but I don't see the Wiimote's gameplay/fun factor lasting for 5 years... I don't see people having fun with it as much as they are today. I actually see more potential for the Sixaxis, primarily because of flying sims... (I'm a bit of a fan myself) How does the Wiimote handle flying games?? Can you hold the wiimote in a horizontal fashion? Doesn't it block the signal when you do that? I can't wait for Lair and Warhawk.. I don't even know which one I want the most because they both look fucking awesome!
In time it won't be as exciting, it will become a usual thing for owners just as the regular controller is. In fact, I'd lay wager the tilt sensor on the Sixaxis would become mundane LONG before the dual motion sensors in the wii remote/nunchuck. Simply because Sixaxis is a basic control with tilt. Wii remote is totally different aside from the buttons. I see it lasting 5 years, I watched it in development got excited, I bought it was excited. I still get a kick out of messing with the motion controls to date(I play just about every day)

Ah-ha! Jokes on you, Many games such as Dragon Ball Z & Mortal Kombat feature motion sensing with an option to use the basic controller(GC or VC) In addition games such as Super Smash Bros and Fire Elbem feature not motion control(Or are said not too, I don't know!) In the end Wii's mostly about the inovative control scheme but it doesn't have to be that way if the developers doesn't want it to be. 

" Back on topic, PS3 games in 5 years will be better than any games out there for the simple reason of - *drumroll* - 50 gigs."

Larger games do not equate to better games. (Tetris vs Soldier of Fortune? flOw vs GoldenEye: Rogue Agent? Meteos vs Will Rock?) And nope, at least for me, MGS alone does not a console make.

"You see, Nintendo relys heavy on the Wiimote's functionality."

Xbox 360 and PS3 rely heavily on button functionality. So? Neither is better or worse, except the Wii does not need to rely on motion (Bomberman, Fire Emblem) for its games. Nintendo may like developers to come out with motion-based games, but it is not obligatory; conversely, PS3 and especially Xbox couldn't come out with motion-based games on the Wii's level even if they wanted to.

"Strongly suggesting that every game will use the Wiimote's sensors."

Suggesting and demanding are very different. Sony suggests that the PS3 is capable of 1080p gaming @60fps, but since it's not mandatory, very few people have yet to see such performance (perhaps with their "next-gen" Tetris)...

"What if gamers want to take a casual game? What if they are tired of waving their arms around? (They WILL get tired"

Many (casual) gamers are also tired of trying to memorize the sequence and timing of those 293-hit combos for VF5, you know. I know I got tired about five years ago of that.

"So the sixaxis is a nice touch to gameplay... the wiimote is whoring it."

Well, if you look at it that way, both PS3 and Xbox360 (Edit: AND Nintendo in the past) are absolutely gang-bang-butt-raping the hell out of thumbsticks, d-pads and buttons...

"How does the Wiimote handle flying games?? Can you hold the wiimote in a horizontal fashion? Doesn't it block the signal when you do that?"

Check out Codemasters' Heatseeker for some previews. Yes, you can hold it in a horizontal fashion. No, it doesn't block out the signal.

If you had to actually ask those last two questions, there is only one conclusion I can draw: You have spent precious little, if any, time with the console, and you are just bashing it for one reason or another. Care to share why?

"Sorry if this sounds to horrible for you, but I don't see the Wiimote's gameplay/fun factor lasting for 5 years... I don't see people having fun with it as much as they are today. I actually see more potential for the Sixaxis, primarily because of flying sims... (I'm a bit of a fan myself)"

You know, funny you should mention that, because the main reason why I got a Wii is because I was already sick and tired of having to memorize button combos more complex than calculus just so I could pass the level 9 boss in game Y, something that has been going on for far more than five years. In fact, I was (as well as many others like me) praying that technology would someday give us the power to interact with games in a newer, more immersive way. Whether the Wii accomplishes that is debatable, but I at least now have that possibility.

" It would be best for you to lay off the Nintendo pills maybe... (It's bad for your brain )"

Can't possibly be any worse than the Sony Cyanide you are taking...

"You N-boys completely BUTTFUCKED his post... adding stupid stuff like electricity bills and what not..."

Wow, them Sony Cyanide pills sure are powerful. CELL-powered, even! Do all you S-boys take them on a regular basis, or is it just you?

You're soo off-topic.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

This entire thread is off-topic...

I'd also like to add, the original topic of this post was the "Total" cost ofownership not just the cost to buy the system. I consider electricity in the cost of my items. I buy things that are energy effecient and specifically look for these things. In terms of energy effeciency... Nintendo is a clear winner in both energy conservation and energy cost.

I know a small handful of people that DO care about this and it is a factor in the cost of a system if you ask me.