By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Fils-Aime on Wii 2: “We’re not there yet”

Malachi said:

WTH did you report this from some crappy videogame website instead of the much better Forbes interview? Forbes didn't ask about the make believe Wii HD but about their plan in new trend of technology(HD, 3-D ect.). I am tired of this shit.

I took your advice it's just that it can be difficult to remove all those nasty scripts from some sites.

On topic it could be along time before we see the next home console from Nintendo.

Around the Network

ugh. They keep asking about these things. When will they realize that Nintendo won't talk successor until they're ready to talk successor?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Lastgengamer said:
Malachi said:

WTH did you report this from some crappy videogame website instead of the much better Forbes interview? Forbes didn't ask about the make believe Wii HD but about their plan in new trend of technology(HD, 3-D ect.). I am tired of this shit.

I took your advice it's just that it can be difficult to remove all those nasty scripts from some sites.

On topic it could be along time before we see the next home console from Nintendo.

Yeah I can understand that, I had an annoying pop up while reading it there.

As for the next console, I think the main problem Nintendo will face and what is going to determine the console life is going to be the software side of thing, not technology as people seem to be obssessed about. You can't really count on third party to deliver big system seller because they consider their audience people who own the console on which they develop game on when you need to focus on people who don't own the console to sell say console. It's understandable since they don't make money off console sale and license fee but it's going to become problematic for the PS3 and the 360 once they sold a certain amount of console combine.

Nintendo on the other hand got Nintendo to produce system seller but even them only as a limited number of sure fire hit leaving the rest as gamble, which can be hit or miss, Wii Fit vs Wii Music. They seem to waste some of the precious time of their best studio to do sequel too. SMG2 isn't going to sell much console yet used a whole and excellent team to make it. It's going to make them money sure but their time could have been put to better use in term of selling console. Maybe it's time to ship out some smaller franchise to trusted third part to free up their main studio. Maybe even 3D Mario and Zelda after the first game on a new console. I liked Capcom Zelda one, could be interesting to see them make a console one.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

RolStoppable said:
The Wii has the staying power to last another five years before a successor has to be launched. If Microsoft and Sony stick with their current consoles a little while longer anyway.

It's all a matter of software. We've seen individual games spark new interest in a platform in the past (like the original Pokémon) and there are plenty of things that have not been done right on the Wii yet. Prime examples: FPS games and pretty much everything that could involve Motion Plus.

I would disagree. I know that many people disagree with me, but Red Steel is my favorite FPS exclusive to any system, ever. I simply love the game. Also, I do agree that the WM+ hasn't been utilized well enough, and hopefully Zelda will do it.

HD alone won't be enough, IMO anyway.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

Around the Network

The next generation hardware probably won't be exciting at all. Since content drives them, they'll want a system which can allow them to produce content as cheaply and as quickly as possible and prototype games years in advance. So what will a Wii 2 look like?

1. It'll have an X86 out of order execution CPU.

• Because its much faster to prototype/compile and they can start game production on off the shelf hardware.
  • Because they want to maximise the number of developers small and big which can make use of it, especially emerging countries developers who may produce very innovative content.
  • It has some of the very best power management of any CPU out there.
  • The Wii concept is similar to a mouse.

2. It'll have a combined CPU/GPU with embedded ram.

• Bandwidth is expensive, it costs more energy moving data in modern chips than it does doing the calcuations, also saves board complexity/size.
  • The GPU is the most important component for making clean looking HD content and they'll want performance here if they want to implement 3D.
  • AMD will be able to offer this within a year.

3. The media is irrelevant. If it works, cheaply, they will use it.

Yawn. But there you have it.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Lastgengamer said:
Malachi said:

Paste it into Notepad first.  It will remove the formatting, but that's easier to fix than killing all the scripts.

Twistedpixel said:

The next generation hardware probably won't be exciting at all. Since content drives them, they'll want a system which can allow them to produce content as cheaply and as quickly as possible and prototype games years in advance. So what will a Wii 2 look like?

1. It'll have an X86 out of order execution CPU.

• Because its much faster to prototype/compile and they can start game production on off the shelf hardware.
  • Because they want to maximise the number of developers small and big which can make use of it, especially emerging countries developers who may produce very innovative content.
  • It has some of the very best power management of any CPU out there.
  • The Wii concept is similar to a mouse.

2. It'll have a combined CPU/GPU with embedded ram.

• Bandwidth is expensive, it costs more energy moving data in modern chips than it does doing the calcuations, also saves board complexity/size.
  • The GPU is the most important component for making clean looking HD content and they'll want performance here if they want to implement 3D.
  • AMD will be able to offer this within a year.

3. The media is irrelevant. If it works, cheaply, they will use it.

Yawn. But there you have it.

I thought we learned the lesson about off-the-shelf parts from the original Xbox. Though that was more a case of them not moving to own their actual parts.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

1 - Nintendo 1,440,361
2 - Sony Computer Entertainment 873,909
3 - Electronic Arts 711,144
4 - Sega 680,096
5 - Activision 614,715

And note that Nintendo has released nothing for months. "perhaps"? That's all I needed to know about the author of this article. One thing this generation has tought me, is that gaming "journalists" are a bunch of megalomaniac cry-babies.

F' 'em, and their bullshit.

Nintendo is in a great position to own next generation too, if they play it right.