By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Belongs In Toy Market, says Will Wright GDC 10

Toys are a lot of fun to play with. They're supposed to be fun to play with. Whereas some games feel more chore-like based on how much you need to learn about the rules of the game before you can actually play it.

I think that was his point.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
leo-j said:
TWRoO said:
leo-j said:
Soriku said:

Wii is a toy, along with the PS3 and 360. I remember we had a couple threads about this last year.

I guess a dvd player is also a toy, and so is watching a movie, that's a toy too

Yes it is.

No that's an activity.

so then every device known to man is a toy

Depends entirely on which definition of toy you wish to use.

A toy can be anything that is used for non-practical purposes.

Or if you view a toy as:

"an object, often a small representation of something familiar, as an animal or person, for children or others to play with; plaything"

Which, can either arguably include video consoles dvds and such... or not.

All I know is that there is no definition of toy that can include the Wii, but not include other consoles and entertainment devices.

There is one. "Anything that repulses insecure people who think 'mature' means blood, swearing, and nudity."

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
"so then every device known to man is a toy"

That has just entertainment functions, yes. The DVD isn't about food, shelter, or other needs. So it does count as a toy. Same as a TV (aside from information uses).

Technically one could comfortably house a family or mice or small rats inside the average DVD player, making it a cozy Habitrail. Now it's a shelter.

Just about any object used creatively can be turned into a "toy." A tree branch or a stick of wood can be turned into a gun or rifle to play cowboys and indians just as a tree can become a fortress. Does that make all trees and pieces of wood "toys?" Is Log about the greatest toy ever invented?

Probably not.

But if something is made for the main purpose of "play" and "fun," anyone who would take offense to said object they used being perceived as a toy may just have personal issues with being labeled as someone who still plays with toys, when there's nothing wrong with that.

Which market is the PS3 and Move in?

This is the best analysis I've heard today.

Around the Network

in the words of DR Phineas Waldolf Steel,"a toy is any object that makes you happy".

XP

someone tell me why it means anything to call the wii or any console or whathaveyou a toy. it still serves its purpose of enjoyment.

maybe it is like this Lewis quote.
C.S. Lewis
"Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

all consoles play games, so all of them are ''toys''

marcianito said:
all consoles play games, so all of them are ''toys''

That is what I was getting at why did he single out the Wii? There are party type games on all consoles.

"That is what I was getting at why did he single out the Wii?"

Because it's a more fun toy.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Comic_book_collecting
yeah, well Mr Wright has a great future looking forward to him. Check out Bust of the Speculator Market. This pattern is not a comic issue. It ranges across the board in all industries and signs point to Mr Wrights 40hr game market is going to bust.

While those industries that founded on expansion and large market will do better.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.