By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Belongs In Toy Market, says Will Wright GDC 10

Reading what has been posted, here is my take.

1. Wil Wright is right -- and wrong. There are some higher-end Wii experiences coming this year. Meanwhile, not all PS3/Xbox 360 experiences are higher end as there have been several high profile games that have been incredibly short. And addition motion games to the other consoles will blur their distinction.

2. Industry Gamers HATES the Wii. It slants most things against the Wii. Look at the way it plays stories and the headlines (titles) it gives things. If I recall correctly, this is not really much different than what Wil Wright has said before. But the website is making it out to be "exclusive news" when it is neither.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network
Brainslug said:
This is interesting coming from Will Wright - seeing as his biggest claim to fame - the sims - is the biggest "toy" video game out there.

You're making it as if he meant it in a bad way. Which he actually didn't (for once).

It just amazes me though that this quote was singled out and blown out of proportion. Journalism these days.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

SmokedHostage said:
SaviorX said:
SmokedHostage said:
By the way, Will Wright belongs in the washed-up section.

Why do you say tha? Is it because of Spore?

After seeing this image, I was inclined to.

..........LOL

Never mind......

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

I guess Sony and Microsoft will become toys this holiday season too.

BoneArk said:
I guess Sony and Microsoft will become toys this holiday season too.

It took them 4 years to jump in lol

Around the Network

I am getting sick of these creators and developers. Really, i have no words to express the stupidity that comes out of these people's mouths. So what he is also saying is that the Xbox and PS2, Gamecube and the systems before must also be toys because they don't offer the same kinds of things that the PS3 and Xbox 360 do. That is what we could say he is also saying. Make a quality game for the Wii and stop your bitching.

GianCarmen said:
I am getting sick of these creators and developers. Really, i have no words to express the stupidity that comes out of these people's mouths. So what he is also saying is that the Xbox and PS2, Gamecube and the systems before must also be toys because they don't offer the same kinds of things that the PS3 and Xbox 360 do. That is what we could say he is also saying. Make a quality game for the Wii and stop your bitching.

Please ignore the title. The quote was taken out of context.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

SmokedHostage said:
SaviorX said:
SmokedHostage said:
By the way, Will Wright belongs in the washed-up section.

Why do you say tha? Is it because of Spore?

After seeing this image, I was inclined to.

Holy shit that is one of the most disturbing things i have ever seen ever...

On topic: It seems like a more level-headed assessment from him than most of the people that have made the "Wii is a toy" declaration, but it is still tinged with underhanded insults , mostly the idea that Nintendo had to "leave" the gaming market and pursue a "new niche"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

the thing is wii ends up at as a toy.

u can't watch movies in it, play mp3 to be more than a game console.

also nintendo focus it's kids, it have been since n64 days, by their first party, and even more now it's kids + casuals gamers.

all consoles are toys, but sony and microsoft go abit more than that.

While the man is certainly even-handed in what he says, he does still assert that the Wii's games are more like toys than games, and he does draw out a dichotomy between toys and games.