By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - rpg's lovem are hatem?

So what do you think of rpg's. I don't hate rpg's,but I don't play that many. The reason is I don't want to invest 60-100 into the game. That's just way to long. I'd rather invest 10-15 into a single player campaign and then play online. That's why I'm a big fps fan. After you invest over a 100 hrs into a rpg,then the game is over. No replay value. I want to like rpg's,but I just can't get into them that much. I must admit though,I got into Dragon Age orgins,but I don't plan on buying the expansion pack. I've moved on to battlefield and call of duty. So,do you like are hate rpg's? If yes,please state what kind and why. If no,please state why.

Around the Network

I love RPG's, because they are pretty much the only games I can play and enjoy the story for. A good story is the main reason I play video games.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

h8 em!

OldSchool - The nice thing about WRPG's is that they do have replayability. Look at Oblivion, you have mages, theives, fighters, then what six races and you can mix and match these to make any kind of character. And the game plays completely differently for each class/race. You can put 100 hours into one playthrough, and with the dozens of combinations it's virtually unlimited playtime. You should give Oblivion a try, or maybe Fallout 3 since you seem to like shooters.

I love rpgs!

Depends what you mean with RPG:s. Western RPG:s are better than ever with ME, DA and Fallout 3. JRPG:s have had their prime time in the middle of the 90s and to be perfectly honest we haven't had any good (except for DS) since FFX.

Around the Network

Its my favorite genre. I'll pretty much play any RPG. Like getting all the loot and exploring the worlds.

Currently own: PC (duh), SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP.

I like RPGs, be they W or J. I like what a lot of reviewers consider to be "minutia" like careful leveling, carefully deciding who gets what armor/weapons, and seeing that all of my plotting and number crunching wasn't for naught when I land some insanely strong attack in combat or that the stats I alloted have turned one lowly character into a beast who is a critical member of the party now.

The only thing I dislike is that the length of them, my proficiency, and level caps tend to kill any replay value. If I perfectly spec my character out the first time, I'm probably not going to play through the game again and do something different. A game that takes 60+ hours to be probably won't get replayed by me either, even if I miss stuff the first time. Low level caps (I don't know why WRPGs do this) are a dark bane on the genre imo. My main joy is progressing my character and tweaking. When you remove that you've removed the main thing I enjoy about the genre.

Western RPG's have the lower level caps because they are mostly based on D&D dice game rules. To which there is a maximum lvl of 20 since a lvl 20 character is just shy of being a god.

oldschoolfool said:

So,do you like are hate rpg's? If yes,please state what kind and why. If no,please state why.

Use "or" and not "are."

I like RPGs because they're fun to play (if often misnamed).

I like WRPGs, and I hate JRPGs. Out of the several WRPG styles, I prefer the Diablo style and the Baldur's Gate/Fallout 1 and 2 style, with the Elder Scrolls style being a close second.

RPGs are my favorite genre. I will spend over 1000+ in any given RPG. I will replay it countless times.

Also, they helped me fight my OCD. I used to try and pick up every object there was in any game, but since playing Diablo II, I have become a much smarter loot collector.

P.S. Despite all this, I will NOT play World of Warcraft. 2 reasons: I would get addicted, and there's no real story. I've been addicted to an MMO before, and wasted 3 years of my life.