By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 is going to overtake the Wii soon

Well, the PS3 is gaining more and more popularity in EU. The system was not so far this week from the Wii. What I do expect is, with the big launch of Final Fantasy and God of War in March, that the PS3 will overtake the Wii until Super Mario Galaxy 2 is out.

What I do expect too is Nintendo replying fast. New Wii colors, pricecuts, new announcements... They have a tendency to keep their popularity with low marketing and react fast when a console is threatering the Wii. They did it with the pricecut at TGS when the PS3 was the leader of the market.

Do you believe in my theory? 

Around the Network

PS3 sells 30 million units in March confirmed! :]

kowenicki said:
no.

Any reason?

Don't forget, he said "In Europe". So if you mean will the PS3 outsell the Wii in Europe, it is possible, but unlikely.
Will it outsell the Wii anywhere else in the world? That is a big fat no.

No. All the 1st party games between 6 months ago and 6 months hence forth for the PS3 probably don't compare to the impact of SMG2.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network

This... Wont happen.

Overtake in what sense? I see the ps3 getting great numbers in march, and be on top of the wii fro some weeks... but overtaking it in total sales? I don't think so.

I don't see how SMG2 will help sell hardware when most people who plan on buying the game already own a Wii so they could play the original.

The difference between GoW3 and SMG2 is that a lot of people were holding off on buying a PS3 specifically for this game.

While SMG2 and any other sequel Nintendo releases will have huge software numbers I don't believe it will sell as many consoles as people seem to think.

This is only my opinion.

I like beans

kowenicki said:
guiduc said:
kowenicki said:
no.

Any reason?

I presume you mean Others.

go back 5 weeks.... the wii has outsold the PS3 by...

45%

31%

53%

49%

24%

no trend there.

yes it may have the odd week where it outsells it if a big game can provide a big boost... but aside from that... forget it... not happening.

let me also toss in there that the Wii has had zero 2010 games in the top 10 weekly charts in 2010 so far and still outsells the PS3. While I expect FF week to have a chance at beating the Wii's sales, it won't stay that way until late may when Galaxy 2 comes out.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)