By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

twesterm said:
FreeTalkLive said:
twesterm said:

God I hope they don't blame this on games and not on the dumb-shit stepfather that left a loaded gun where a three year old could get a hold of it.

There's absolutely no excuse for that and I hope they charge him for manslaughter.

It's perfectly fine to own guns, but:

1. You should be taught in gun safety
  2. Don't fucking leave it loaded
  3. Leave it locked somewhere so that only the people who you want can have access to it

Rule #1 makes sense.

Though, leaving a gun loaded isn't usually a bad thing.  Also, leaving a gun locked up isn't usually needed, nor is it always a good thing.

What?

Don't get me wrong, I live in Texas and grew up on a farm so I'm all about guns but I'm sorry, you absolutely do not leave a loaded gun lying around and you don't leave it in a place where others can get a hold of it.  Violating both of those is just incredibly irresponsible and that's exactly how accidents like this happen.

You should never leave even an unloaded gun where a three year old can pick it up and if you're not using the gun it should be locked up somewhere where only specific people have access to it.  Gun safes are cheap these days and they are quick to get into if you have the access and do an excellent job of keeping the wrong people out.

It seems as though we are talking around each other :)

You said, "Don't fucking leave it loaded"

I replied, "leaving a gun loaded isn't usually a bad thing"

Neither one of us mentioned about leaving a gun loaded and leaving it lying around together (well, you just did in your latest post).  I don't recommend that either.  But an adult leaving a gun loaded in their bedroom in the closet up high.  Or taking it out and putting it in their night stand at night, well, that isn't bad parenting or bad in any way. 

I don't recommend using a gun safe, at least at night.  It seems like a very bad idea.  But it is up to you.  I would never use one, especially in a place like TN (one of the most dangerous states in the US).

A gun shouldn't be left out loaded unless a sober adult in right next to the gun or at least someone with good gun safety practice.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
the1te said:
1. The girl deserved to live.
2. The parents (or well, the mother and the stepfather) didnt deserve to have a kid.

I would appreciate all people used common sense sometimes...

That's not how it works.  Anyone that is able to have a child has the right to have a child.  People make mistakes.  If this was truely an accident, the parents are likely suffering a great deal right now.  I understand that the parents were in the wrong, and I agree that there should be some punishment. 

Tired of big government?
Join us @

slaviknenych said:
Tennessees are retarded, end of story =)

I see that you created a whole account just to troll this topic.  Good work.

Tired of big government?
Join us @

zone16 said:
Why civilians are allowed firearms in USA is beyond me. No one except police and military should be allowed those.

Because it is a right of every citizen to own guns to defend themselves and their famlies from both criminals and government agents.  It is the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution because the people that created the US Constitution thought it was extremely important to make sure this right was not taken away.  Additionally, firearms are both a lot of fun and used to defend people from animals all over the US (dog, bear, wolf, moose...)

You don't have to understand this freedom, you don't have to like it and you don't have to want it.  However, keep in mind that if someone tried to remove it in a place like AK, MT or NH, it could lead to violent revolt or even the forming of new nations.

Tired of big government?
Join us @

Shouldn't the safety warning be DON'T LEAVE FUCKING GUNS WHERE KIDS CAN GET THEM! The guy should be tested for drugs. The only people I've ever known stupid enough to leave a loaded weapon around the house were meth addicts. They just crash after awhile, and do really stupid shit like this.

Bringing video games into this is just stupid.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

how is this even remotely connected to the wii or gaming, other then being a despicable excuse of the parents to somewhat push aside their responsibility for their daughters death

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

zone16 said:
Why civilians are allowed firearms in USA is beyond me. No one except police and military should be allowed those.

Right.  So then our government would have absolutely nothing to fear from it's people?  No. 

I'm sorry that there are idiots that let their kis play with guns (imo they deserve to be shot); but that doesn't make it okay to revoke my rights.  Maybe it's okay with you not to have the right to bear arms; but it is something that is very important to me.  It's also a responsibility that I take very seriously.  People should be required to have gun licenses though.

FreeTalkLive said:
zone16 said:

Because it is a right of every citizen to own guns to defend themselves and their famlies from both criminals and government agents.  It is the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution because the people that created the US Constitution thought it was extremely important to make sure this right was not taken away.  Additionally, firearms are both a lot of fun and used to defend people from animals all over the US (dog, bear, wolf, moose...)

or hunt wild pigs that attack humans inside their house (ok, I was watching this crazy TV show the other night)

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

FreeTalkLive said:
zone16 said:

You don't have to understand this freedom, you don't have to like it and you don't have to want it.  However, keep in mind that if someone tried to remove it in a place like AK, MT or NH, it could lead to violent revolt or even the forming of new nations.

Here here.  And you left out a lot of states that would be on that list.

Miguel_Zorro said:

One of these guns is actually a Wii controller.  I wonder how much longer it will be on the market though.

It's irrelevant though.  As many people have said, leaving a gun within reach of a child is incredibly stupid, regardless of what it looks like.  I hope the man is charged with involuntary manslaughter.

???
They both look fake to me.... aren't guns usually made of metal, it could be the bad picture but both look plastic to me.