By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

How absolutely tragic. Child Protective Services needs to be involved with these two immediately if possible. This is gross negligence by both parents. I have a three year old right now so I can tell you they will get into anything, and everything left in their grasp. More than once I have had to snatch something away from here because it was left too low hanging or she found an inventive new way to try and hurt herself with an odd bit that we thought was safe. Under no circumstances would I have taken my eye off of her for a second if there was a gun in the room, and god forbid laying about unwatched.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive said:
twesterm said:
FreeTalkLive said:
twesterm said:

God I hope they don't blame this on games and not on the dumb-shit stepfather that left a loaded gun where a three year old could get a hold of it.

There's absolutely no excuse for that and I hope they charge him for manslaughter.

It's perfectly fine to own guns, but:

1. You should be taught in gun safety
  2. Don't fucking leave it loaded
  3. Leave it locked somewhere so that only the people who you want can have access to it

Rule #1 makes sense.

Though, leaving a gun loaded isn't usually a bad thing.  Also, leaving a gun locked up isn't usually needed, nor is it always a good thing.

What?

Don't get me wrong, I live in Texas and grew up on a farm so I'm all about guns but I'm sorry, you absolutely do not leave a loaded gun lying around and you don't leave it in a place where others can get a hold of it.  Violating both of those is just incredibly irresponsible and that's exactly how accidents like this happen.

You should never leave even an unloaded gun where a three year old can pick it up and if you're not using the gun it should be locked up somewhere where only specific people have access to it.  Gun safes are cheap these days and they are quick to get into if you have the access and do an excellent job of keeping the wrong people out.

It seems as though we are talking around each other :)

You said, "Don't fucking leave it loaded"

I replied, "leaving a gun loaded isn't usually a bad thing"

Neither one of us mentioned about leaving a gun loaded and leaving it lying around together (well, you just did in your latest post).  I don't recommend that either.  But an adult leaving a gun loaded in their bedroom in the closet up high.  Or taking it out and putting it in their night stand at night, well, that isn't bad parenting or bad in any way. 

I don't recommend using a gun safe, at least at night.  It seems like a very bad idea.  But it is up to you.  I would never use one, especially in a place like TN (one of the most dangerous states in the US).

A gun shouldn't be left out loaded unless a sober adult in right next to the gun or at least someone with good gun safety practice.

I've been mentioning don't leave a loaded gun laying around since my first post. 

But even leaving one stowed away high up in a closet is a bad idea.  It works when you have a three year old but not-so-much with a 10 year old who snoops.  I mean how many of us when we were young didn't snoop through the house?  No matter how well you hide your weapon, a kid who isn't supposed to find it is potentially going to find it. 

What would be your excuse if your kid found your hidden gun and shot himself?  What would be your excuse if a kids friend found your hidden gun and shot somebody?  Sure, both of them aren't supposed to be snooping, but we know they do.  You could justify yourself by saying you thought you had it properly hidden but someone still came out shot which is on your concious since you didn't do everything you could do.

And again, safes are as quick as you need them to be.  They aren't any slower than keeping one stowed away in a closet and are infinite amounts safer than keeping it sitting on your nightstand (which is just  a terrible idea).

Both of your cases, leaving a gun up high or leaving it on the nightstand, just both open you up for huge amounts of trouble.  Having a gun in a finger print safe allows you to control exactly who has access and they are quick.  With something like that you do not have to hide the gun in some funny place, you can leave it in your nightstand or under your bed and still be safe while not worrying about unauthorized access.

Not being able to find or afford something like a small fingerprint safe is just bullshit.  If you can afford a gun, you can afford that safe because, again, it's just irresponsible not to have one.

As usual, a story about bad parenting that everyone will focus on the gaming system or the child.

Evidence 1: Gun was left on Table because 'A prowler was heard around'.  Strike 1 - Then why was Father 'Asleep'?

Evidence 2: Mother was said to be in room with child. Strike 2 - Then why was Gun still left on table next to Wii?

Evidence 3: Why was a 3 year old girl left in a room with a gun! Srike 3 - You're out.

Its sad that no charges are going to be filed in this case, but what can you do.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I'm very sorry for her death, and even tho she didn't deserve to die, her stepfather does deserve sucha weight on his mind. I bet the first thing he said was "Thank God you didn't point that to the LCD!"

Do Americans have to make some sort of intelligence test in order to buy a gun? If not, this news would make so much more sense..

twesterm said:

What would be your excuse if your kid found your hidden gun and shot himself?  What would be your excuse if a kids friend found your hidden and shot somebody?  Sure, both of them aren't supposed to be snooping, but we know they do.  You could justify yourself by saying you thought you had it properly hidden but someone still came out shot which is on your concousness since you didn't do everything you could do.

No excuse needed.  Teach the kid about gun safety.  At 10, most kids are mature enough to be firing weapons at the range with a parent.

A parent should teach the kid.  If the parent doesn't thing the kid is understanding gun safety, they can take extra steps as they feel needed.  Maybe lock their bedroom door when they aren't home.  It is up to each parent.  There is nothing set in stone.  Maybe I parent decides that they want to wear the gun or keep it in the car when not at home.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

As usual, a story about bad parenting that everyone will focus on the gaming system or the child.

Evidence 1: Gun was left on Table because 'A prowler was heard around'.  Strike 1 - Then why was Father 'Asleep'?

Evidence 2: Mother was said to be in room with child. Strike 2 - Then why was Gun still left on table next to Wii?

Evidence 3: Why was a 3 year old girl left in a room with a gun! Srike 3 - You're out.

Its sad that no charges are going to be filed in this case, but what can you do.

If charges were fired, it would likely be neglect.  That wouldn't likely be a major charge, either.  Maybe classes, fees and probation or inspections for a short period of time.  TN isn't NJ or NY.  Most of the people that I know in TN understand that guns are a positive part of the local culture and that acidents happen from time to time.  Hopefully this story will encourage many parents to think about gun safety.

Tired of big government?
Join us @

Tuganuno said:

Do Americans have to make some sort of intelligence test in order to buy a gun? If not, this news would make so much more sense..

No.  In most states gun ownership is considered a right.  In fact, one of the most important rights.  It is often taken away if people are convicted felons or found to be insane.  Otherwise, it many states, there are few restrictions.

Tired of big government?
Join us @

FreeTalkLive said:
twesterm said:

What would be your excuse if your kid found your hidden gun and shot himself?  What would be your excuse if a kids friend found your hidden and shot somebody?  Sure, both of them aren't supposed to be snooping, but we know they do.  You could justify yourself by saying you thought you had it properly hidden but someone still came out shot which is on your concousness since you didn't do everything you could do.

No excuse needed.  Teach the kid about gun safety.  At 10, most kids are mature enough to be firing weapons at the range with a parent.

A parent should teach the kid.  If the parent doesn't thing the kid is understanding gun safety, they can take extra steps as they feel needed.  Maybe lock their bedroom door when they aren't home.  It is up to each parent.  There is nothing set in stone.  Maybe I parent decides that they want to wear the gun or keep it in the car when not at home.

A kid should know these things, but we see time and time again they don't and kids do stupid things.  Kids are kids.

Should a kid know better than to drink?  Yes.  Do they still drink?  Yes.

Should a kid know better than to do drugs?  Yes.  Do they still do drugs?  Yes.

Should a kid know better than to have unprotected sex?  Yes.  Do they still have unprotected sex?  Yes.

Should a kid know better than to drive a car down the highway?  Yes. Do they still drive cars down the highway?   Yes.

Kids should know all these things yet we see time and time again that kids are kids.  You can teach a child gun safety all day but what if that one day happens when he finds your gun and drops it?  He though he was being as careful as possible but he wasn't and now he paid for your irresponsibility.

Would you rather take that chance and say well I taught him gun safety and he still did it anyways or would you rather just completely sidestep that circumstance and stow your gun in a safe secure place?

Locking your door or remembering to keep your gun on or near you is not enough.  If you own a gun and you have children (and even if you don't have children) you need to have a permanant home for the gun and that home needs to be someplace secure, not just hidden.  Because just like kids will be kids, people will be people and you will forget to lock your door one day or you might forget to bring your gun with you. 

What if that's the day your kid decides to look around the house for whatever reason and inadvertently finds your gun?  I assume you're not a parent because if you were that thought should be like a nightmare come true.

There is absolutely no excuse to put yours or other children in that much danger because you're too lazy/cheap to buy a safe.  Simply hiding the gun and telling your kids about gun safety is not enough.  Words can't actually express how shocked I am that you think that is enough.

Hmm, or the parents just killed her and made up this story?

MontanaHatchet said:
That's freakin' terrible. I feel so bad for the girl. I mean...she was only 3. She barely had time to live her life. AND WHAT GENIUS FATHER LEAVES A SEMI-AUTOMATIC WEAPON ON A TABLE WITHIN A TODDLER'S REACH? NICE JOB DAD!!!

Oh, you're forgetting WHILE HE WAS ASLEEP =p