By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

FreeTalkLive said:
Tuganuno said:

Do Americans have to make some sort of intelligence test in order to buy a gun? If not, this news would make so much more sense..

No.  In most states gun ownership is considered a right.  In fact, one of the most important rights.  It is often taken away if people are convicted felons or found to be insane.  Otherwise, it many states, there are few restrictions.

And some people still think USA is the best country to live in? "No country for old men" makes sense now ;o

That's one of the most dumbest rights I've heard in a while. But I guess it makes as much sense to make Albany the capital of New York instead of New York city.

Around the Network
FreeTalkLive said:

Most of the people that I know in TN understand that guns are a positive part of the local culture and that acidents happen from time to time. 

There is no part of guns that provide less positive local culture if locked inside a weapons cabinet unloaded while not in use. That way, no accidents happen.

This is invisible text!

FreeTalkLive said:
twesterm said:

What would be your excuse if your kid found your hidden gun and shot himself?  What would be your excuse if a kids friend found your hidden and shot somebody?  Sure, both of them aren't supposed to be snooping, but we know they do.  You could justify yourself by saying you thought you had it properly hidden but someone still came out shot which is on your concousness since you didn't do everything you could do.

No excuse needed.  Teach the kid about gun safety.  At 10, most kids are mature enough to be firing weapons at the range with a parent.

A parent should teach the kid.  If the parent doesn't thing the kid is understanding gun safety, they can take extra steps as they feel needed.  Maybe lock their bedroom door when they aren't home.  It is up to each parent.  There is nothing set in stone.  Maybe I parent decides that they want to wear the gun or keep it in the car when not at home.

A 10 year olds frontal lobe that controls reasoning functions in adults is not fully developed. A 10 year old under a variety of different circumstances, like his friends egging him on, could do something very stupid even if taught otherwise.

Arguments about whether gun laws should be far stricter in the United States is one thing but leaving a loaded gun where a child can get access to it is just stupid no matter your political affiliations or your own personal beliefs about what freedom constitutes. There is no excuse, don't ever leave your gun loaded and buy a safe to store it in.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

the mom shot the kid.... even if the kid had mistaken the gun, she wouldn't have:

targeted it at herself

been able to pull the trigger

(the gun was laying on the table with the safety off???)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

lets accept for a second that

- the wiimote DID look like a gun, and
- the little girl had been playing the wii

what the hell is a 3-year-old doing playing violent games? may not sound like much of a big deal, but i'd say that's bad parenting as it is.

lazy-ass parents. no doubt feeling absolutely awful now, but that was such a careless thing.

who lets a baby play with a fucking gun?

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.
Around the Network

Doesn't that carnival game have a shooting section where you are shooting targets.
We don't know what they were playing but it might not have been violent.

Although the chance of that is next to nothing.

2 things about this thread:

1. How hard do people think it is to pull the trigger on a handgun? Pretty damn easy actually, especially if the gun is used for target shooting. Also some guns have a "hair trigger" setting where you pull the trigger back halfway and it locks into a position where only a tiny bit of force can cause it to go off. Nervous step dad could have set it to that while searching for the lurking bad guy and then left it there, and then headed to nappy time.

2. As to the safety switch on the gun, certain pistols (some Glocks for example) don't have a switch, just a funky trigger that requires you to cover the whole trigger with your finger to fire.

Isn't it time to change the gun laws in the US? I mean come on it's not the years 1750-1900 anymore..

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

"Aged 3"

My god. RIP

Naum said:
Isn't it time to change the gun laws in the US? I mean come on it's not the years 1750-1900 anymore..

Germany in the 1930's says no, it's not time to change the gun laws in the US.  If the government thinks it can do anything it wants to its citizens it only takes one bad set of leaders before the decide they will do whatever they want.

You do not have the right to never be offended.