By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

Azelover said:
This is so sad on so many levels.. Firstly because of the little girl and the family, secondly because it will no doubt be used to pass anti-gun legislation, and thirdly because it obviously puts the establishment technology on a potential good light and therefore helps it.

This is so sad.. and yet I've never seen something so perfectly convenient to nefarious agendas. It's awful. I sure hope for the best.

I'd have to agree. It is pretty convenient to suggest that guns killing innocent people is an example of how guns can kill innocent people. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

wow
when I checked out the source site there was also and article about a couple in south korea who played video games in cafe's so much they neglected their baby and she starved to death :(

NJ5 said:
How do they know the girl "mistook the gun for a Wii controller" ?

I mean did the girl explain it after she was dead or what?

Exactly.  This is just another way to use video games as a scapegoat.  Why point the finger in the right direction anyways?

scottie said:
FreeTalkLive said:
scottie said:

1) The right to defend yourself and your property is the most important right.  

2) A rule (not a law) was just passed that prevents non-cops from carrying guns in the capital building.  What I'm trying to do, is make sure a bunch of the folks that voted for that rule are removed from office.  Almost all gun restrictions are horrible and must be removed.  And I'll keep working at it until it happens or I die of old age.

1) Yeah, agreed. But you have to consider that by owning a gun, you are (may be) impinging on other people's right to safety. I'll accept that you are most likely responsible with your firearms and wouldn't let something like the story in the OP happen to your household. So of course you would breeze through the qualification process for getting a gun if they were to require a license. But someone who might lose their gun, leave it where a child can find it, or have it stolen is endangering their entire community and thus impinging upon the right to safety of many people. I argue that by denying these people firearms, the right to safety is granted to the majority, whereas if these people have firearms, only the minority has their right to safety upheld (and if they're really irresponsible they're no safer with a gun than without)

2) Ignore for a second that this is a public building. Lets say I move to America. If I put up a sign on my gate that says 'the owner of this property asks that you do not carry a gun on this property. If you do carry a gun, the police will be called to deal with your trespassing.' This is well within United States law, and I would argue that this is required for my right to safety. If you feel unsafe without a gun, you have the right to not come over to my house to play video games. Same argument could go for any private business, at the owners insistence. Why then are those who work in the public service denied the same right to safety as those who work in the private sector?

Your points seem to make sense for someplace where guns aren't good and more guns aren't great.  However, what I would like to see in NH is more guns in the hands of more people.  If most people had guns, maybe we could get rid of most of the cops where I live.  That would save a lot of money in taxes.  Some of the towns near me already don't have cops.

I already live in one of the safest places in the US.  We already have the 2nd fewest amount of cops in the US and near the lowest taxes.  But maybe even more guns would mean even fewer cops and taxes and more safety.

You see, guns are needed to protect people from criminals (something cops aren't able to do in most cases as they respond after the case), wild animals, and government agents.  Guns were used in the past revolutions and may be used in future revolutions (though, personally, I'm against war).  Millions of guns in the hands of private systems is also important for the defense of the US, more so than even the US military, IMO.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

God I hate the media sometimes. The Mother comes up with the theory that maybe the little girl confused the real gun for a Wii controller. And since it would get attention as a headline, that's what they run it as. "Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller" while the truth probably was the little girl was three. And three year olds get into everything.

And I'm sure charges will be filed. Both parents are already playing the blame game. Mom's defense is rather weak. But Dad is ready to throw wifey under the bus. "Hey, SHE was in the room with her at the time!"

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
There are many ways to change the law that doesn't involve knee jerk Nazi references.
The UK had guns and managed to phase them out save selected individuals.
Same can happen to America and it might not be as bad as people think.

Here's a knee jerk reference.  Switzerland has much higher gun ownership per capita than the U.S. including fully automatic weapons.  They're crime and gun violence rate is nearly nothing.  The problem isn't guns, but people.

maximus22 said:
Lord Flashheart said:
There are many ways to change the law that doesn't involve knee jerk Nazi references.

Here's a knee jerk reference.  Switzerland has much higher gun ownership per capita than the U.S. including fully automatic weapons.  They're crime and gun violence rate is nearly nothing.  The problem isn't guns, but people.

link please

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
maximus22 said:
Lord Flashheart said:

link please

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Switzerland is a largely militia based nation.  And there are strict laws regarding training and sale of both weapons and ammunition. 

What the..., this father should be the one whose dead, leaving a gun around like that.
I feel so sad for the girl, 3 years old?

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Wonktonodi said:
wow
when I checked out the source site there was also and article about a couple in south korea who played video games in cafe's so much they neglected their baby and she starved to death :(

I seen that as well, I mean WTF is wrong with people? If you can't handle the responsibility of having a child then don't have a child!