By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl mistakes gun for Wii controller - kills herself

I just wanted to clarify that I'm not for banning guns but I do think there should be far stricter regulations than there are now.

Machine Guns and assault weapons should be banned outright. Every person that buys a gun should have a criminal background check done on them and should be required to take a exam to show that they are competent in basic gun safety and are mentally stable. People should be limited to one gun a month to stop stockpiling which feeds the illegal gun market.

Those are all reasonable suggestions but apparently I would be impeding on your oh so important rights if I made you wait a few days for a background check to be ran.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Around the Network

This is just my opinion but... CIVILIANS DO NOT NEED GUNS!

Seriously look at what happened here, so goddamn pointless.

stof said:
Hey Freetalklive,

Are you part of a well regulated Militia?

I was in the army for 8 years.  Most adult Americans are considered part of the unregulated militia so I am part of a militia. 

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Mendicate Bias said:

Like I said you only have black bears which almost never approach humans, moose which never attack unless purposfuly agitated and you have no highly posienous snakes what so ever so that argument doesn't work.

If there is ever an army powerful enough to invade American soil you can bet that a couple of guys with guns and no co-ordinated leadership won't stand much of a chance. Also if such a time ever did come the military would draft you into the army or have national guard militia outposts set up where they will arm civilians and give them regiments to follow. This isn't some movie, your not going to get together with your friends and take on a trained military.

Also what armies have Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan repelled? Are you talking about Afghanistan repelling the soviets when we gave them massive weapon caches and trained them?

Also you just made up that fact out of thin air. Yes New Hampshire is safe but that has nothing to do with guns I guarantee you. It has more to do with the geography, demographics and economics of the state and it inhabitants. If you want to use facts though its not going to paint a pretty picture for you. America's five most violent states - South CarolinaTennesseeNevadaLouisiana, and Florida -- have no laws to require a Brady criminal background check for every gun sale, no laws to combat illegal gun trafficking effectively, and no laws to restrict access to military-style assault weapons. As a result South Carolina has the highest violent crime rate in America; Tennessee has the fifth-highest rate of gun homicide; Nevada has America's fourth-highest gun death rate (including the fourth-highest rate of gun suicide); while Louisiana has the highest gun death rate, highest gun homicide rate, and highest accidental gun death rate in America.                                                                                                      

The ten states with the highest gun death rates in America have some of the nation's weakest gun laws, including Louisiana, AlaskaMontana, Tennessee, Alabama, Nevada, ArkansasArizonaMississippi, and West Virginia.

Admittedly overall rates are influenced by a number of factors, but the consequences of dangerous behavior are only magnified by easy access to guns by dangerous people. I could also bring you the statistics that shows how much safer States with stricter laws on gun control are but the above information should be more than enough.

Your argument about rights is foolish. If you want to live somewhere where your rights aren't impeded upon go set up a country in Antartica because a society can not function without certain rights being impeded. I want to walk around naked all day and I don't want to pay my taxes but guess what, I can't. What makes your rights any more important than mine? I think it is my right to live in a state where I don't have to worry that every single person is wearing a concealed weapon.                                                                                                                                        

Also umm I'm not sure what the cops in your town are like but yes the cop does have a duty to protect you. Every country in Europe has pretty much banned guns for civilians. According to you these places should be overrun by criminals, rapist and murderers pointing guns in peoples faces and doing whatever they want. So why are European countries far safer than America then?

The US government invaded Somalia but left because of causalities.  The US government invaded Iraq, but still doesn't control much of the area.  Both the USSR and the US governments invaded Afghanistan.  Still, the area isn't completely conquered.

I'm not sure what I made up.

There are federal restrictions on military-style assault weapons that are in place in all 50 states.

Keep in mind that guns laws tend to be very restrictive in the southern US compared to places like NH, ME, VT, WY, MT and AK.  The places in the US with the best guns laws (the states I just listed) tend to be the safest places in the US.  The main exceptions are AK, which is pretty dangerous for many reasons, and ND, which doesn't have good gun laws and is still one of the safest places in the US.

Rights are more important than the government.  The government (at least where I live), was created to protect the people's rights to life, liberty and property.  That is the purpose of the government.

In the US, cops have no duty to protect people.  Cases have gone to court and that is what courts have ruled.  Hardly any nation in Europe is safer than NH.

You likely wouldn't understand the culture where I live.  People wear guns in bars while drinking in NH.  A learners permit for driving?  We don't have that.  Auto insurance and seat belt use are optional.  Even children don't have to wear motorcycle helmets.  A couple years ago, a town voted against creating a government preschool, so the state offered to pay for it and the town leaders agreed.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Mendicate Bias said:
I just wanted to clarify that I'm not for banning guns but I do think there should be far stricter regulations than there are now.

Machine Guns and assault weapons should be banned outright. Every person that buys a gun should have a criminal background check done on them and should be required to take a exam to show that they are competent in basic gun safety and are mentally stable. People should be limited to one gun a month to stop stockpiling which feeds the illegal gun market.

Those are all reasonable suggestions but apparently I would be impeding on your oh so important rights if I made you wait a few days for a background check to be ran.

Sorry but the 2nd Amendment doesn't work that way. "Shall not be infringed" isn't written in Mandarin. The Founders didn't want restrictions on the citizenry to bear arms. 

You mentioned 'assault weapons', all of which shoot one round at a time. All semi-auto handguns fire at the same capacity, ban them too? Wanting more restrictions on gun ownership only benefits the drug traders, cuz they don't go thru background checks to buy/own theirs - they go thru the black market or steal them. Part of human rights is personal defense and when one has a right, how morally acceptable is it to regulate it? 

NH has very loose gun laws and we have the safest state in the country, I can carry virtually everywhere unimpeded. I surely am disappointed about this youngster that shot herself and in fact the parents were irresponsible but the recent suggested feel-good laws regarding gun control take in-home inspections to verify. So, open up everyone's privacy to check on the minute few? That's how freedom in general is lost. 

Anomalies will happen but gun control creates more of that.

Around the Network

I think the "people shouldn't own guns", etc. arguments are missing the point. A gun is a dangerous and powerful device, and people should take them more seriously. But it's not a lot different than owning a chainsaw, hand-held power tools, knives, electric outlets, etc. If used/stored/exposed improperly, they're extremely dangerous. If used properly, they serve a purpose. I'm sure if the father had left a loaded nail-gun plugged in and sitting on the kitchen table and the girl had accidentally shot herself through the eye (which is usually fatal), posters wouldn't be going on about how we shouldn't allow people to own nail-guns. Or maybe they would, but that would be silly... nail-guns are very useful tools. No, I'm guessing in the case of a nail-gun, almost everyone would be commenting on how foolish the father was for leaving such a dangerous device within easy access of a small child. But because it's a hand-gun, the rules all change and we focus on why guns are "bad" devices to own.

It's very sad that this dad (and mom) actually left a loaded, un-safetied handgun lying on the kitchen table with a 3 year old running around the house. I have a strong suspicion that there's more to this story than meets the eye. Something is wrong with this picture. I'm guessing alcohol abuse was a factor. That's why people shouldn't be allowed to drink alcohol. They might run over their kids with the car by accident, or beat their spouses, or do some other foolish thing while intoxicated, so we should protect them and those around them by not allowing them to own/use alcoholic beverages. Driving cars can be very dangerous to the public at large if not done properly, so we shouldn't allow that either.

See... I just solved two other social ills by making sure the foolish masses have no access to anything that can be used to hurt themselves or their families or friends.

Hello Mr. Orwell.

everdom said:
This is just my opinion but... CIVILIANS DO NOT NEED GUNS!

Seriously look at what happened here, so goddamn pointless.

Because of what happened there, all other gun owners should be stripped of their rights? U have a lot of nerve to intervene in my life buster. One child via a dumbshit parent can negate a right that I've attained with age? Simpleton central! All I ask is that u keep ure anti-self defense views to you and your own state, not mine thx.

FreeTalkLive said:

The US government invaded Somalia but left because of causalities.  The US government invaded Iraq, but still doesn't control much of the area.  Both the USSR and the US governments invaded Afghanistan.  Still, the area isn't completely conquered.

I'm not sure what I made up.

There are federal restrictions on military-style assault weapons that are in place in all 50 states.

Keep in mind that guns laws tend to be very restrictive in the southern US compared to places like NH, ME, VT, WY, MT and AK.  The places in the US with the best guns laws (the states I just listed) tend to be the safest places in the US.  The main exceptions are AK, which is pretty dangerous for many reasons, and ND, which doesn't have good gun laws and is still one of the safest places in the US.

Rights are more important than the government.  The government (at least where I live), was created to protect the people's rights to life, liberty and property.  That is the purpose of the government.

In the US, cops have no duty to protect people.  Cases have gone to court and that is what courts have ruled.  Hardly any nation in Europe is safer than NH.

You likely wouldn't understand the culture where I live.  People wear guns in bars while drinking in NH.  A learners permit for driving?  We don't have that.  Auto insurance and seat belt use are optional.  Even children don't have to wear motorcycle helmets.  A couple years ago, a town voted against creating a government preschool, so the state offered to pay for it and the town leaders agreed.

We didn't leave Somalia because of causalities we left because of politics. We lost something like 50 men in Black Hawk down, do you seriously think thats enough to deter the American army? Yes there's resistance in Iraq and Afghanistan but its minor, you don't have to worry we wont be losing those countries anytime soon.

Also look at the states you listed. They are all states with low populations and a society built around agriculture and other forms of manual labor which minimize centers of concentration. Basically your population is very spread out hence there are less interactions between people in crowded cities. How do you explain the other states I mentioned with high crime rates and low gun control?

Please I would love to see you show me a case that proves that cops don't have a right to protect people.

Like I said before what makes your rights more important than mine?

@FSP-Rebel

The founders also wrote the constitution over 200 years ago. According to the constitution back then black people should count as three fifths of a person, should we follow that too? If you payed attention I even added a regulation that would keep guns from getting onto the black market, where as theres nothing stopping them now. So just because you will be slightly more inconvenienced we should just ignore the massive problems loose gun laws are causing in this country? 

Back when the constitution was written automatic weapons didn't even exist, people didn't have the ability to go an killing spree's with guns. Most commoners couldn't even afford a gun, it was a completely different world. In fact the founding fathers didn't even trust you enough to vote hence why we have an electoral voting system, do you honestly think they would be ok with the "common" people running around with fully automatic weapons that are capable of killing dozens of people in seconds?

If you want I can find you the statistics showing European countries lower murder, rape and crime rates. According to you crime should be rampant in Europe with criminals running wild with illegal guns so I ask again why aren't they?

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

FreeTalkLive said:
ocean-1984 said:
Sharky54 said:
Heres the thing.

Guns are good as they protect us.

Guns are bad as accidents like this happen.

However, my uncle has always had a bunch of guns for hunting and self defense. 4 children grew up in his house. We never saw any of the guns until we were well into our teens. It comes down on the owner to properly take care to make sure accidents do not happen.

Guns are good?? WTF. 

Protect from what?? Other idiots with guns.

If there was no guns, there would be no need to have them for protection and no 3 year old dead...

I know you don't live in one of the most free parts of the US (NH, CO, WY...) so you may not understand the freedom culture.  But yes, to millions of folks in the US, guns are good.  Is a gun as good as a car to me?  Likely not.  But it certainly more important and useful than videogames.  The government isn't here to protect me.  But my armed friends and I are.  I don't want to die, thus I have a gun.

This is not freedom culture. Its FEAR culture.

Sharky54 said:
ocean-1984 said:
Sharky54 said:
Heres the thing.

Guns are good as they protect us.

Guns are bad as accidents like this happen.

However, my uncle has always had a bunch of guns for hunting and self defense. 4 children grew up in his house. We never saw any of the guns until we were well into our teens. It comes down on the owner to properly take care to make sure accidents do not happen.

Guns are good?? WTF. 

Protect from what?? Other idiots with guns.

If there was no guns, there would be no need to have them for protection and no 3 year old dead...

Okay, so you are saying there is no chance of anyone ever breaking into your house to steal from you, rape your wife, kill your family? These things don't happen? You defend yourself from a person drugged up looking to steal stuff for money for drugs without using a gun. See how well that works. Just do it. It wont end well.

So there is no chance that your daughter will get your gun and shoot herself or you and your wife. These things don't happen?????? See how well that works...