By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Main weakness of Sony, MS and Nintendo..in your opinion.

I mean.. in your point of view, what would be nowadays the main weakness(es) of the big 3 (if any), in regards to how they approach certain situations?...perhaps things you think they should be doing that could later come back and bite them in the ass.

For instance, some people (like Seece, here on vgchartz) think MS should be investing more in acquiring 1st party studios...that´s one example and a valid point of view....I imagine there are a lot of (valid) criticisms reserved for Sony and Nintendo as well, in other areas.

So, is there anything you think the company behind your system(s) of choice isn´t doing right?...not doing enough?

Around the Network

Microsoft - 1st Party/ Popularity

Sony - Arrogance/ Costing

Nintendo - Greedy/ Tight

for MS i would say invest in to more 1st party.

for Sony i would Say invest into more advertising.

for Nintendo i would say more investment in promotion of more 3rd party's software.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Microsoft - not caring enough about its Entertainment division
Sony - the need to bundle services with hardware
Nintendo - lack of technological advancements...it will catch up to you ninty

Nintendo: Hmm, hard to say much they are doing so well. Its not that I think they are weak, rather they just moved their target demographic away from my tastes. IE: theyre good, I just dont like their current offerings. If they have one weakness, it would be their online system. Friend codes and such are years behind both XBL and PSN

MS: Storage format , lack of strong first party developer roster, and most of all - actual quality of the physical X360. Lack of X360 quality (RROD) is honestly why I did not buy one. I doubt I am alone. Sure they are ahead of Sony right now, but imagine how far ahead they could have been when PS3 was still 500$, had Xbox not been so well known for scratching your discs and just plain ole dying. I have been told that the quality perception also was a big hurdle in Japan, though who knows.... might just be something alot of Japanese use as an example when they wouldnt have bought one anyhow.

Sony: Launch. That one word pretty much sums it up. I think they have patched their weaknesses pretty well at this point, but its obvious that PS3 could have been brought to market much better than it was. At this point, their biggest weakness is probably their lengthy, troublesome and plain difficult certification process for PSN content and patches and etc. Apparently Sony takes forever, and makes developers jump through 1000 inane hoops to publish anything via PSN be it game, DLC or a simple patch. MS Moneyhatting is not by any means solely to blame for Xpansions and DLC coming late or not at all to PS3 versions of games, Sony itself takes a huge share. I believe a joke has been made on more than one occasion that taking a MS DLC timed exclusivity offer has no drawbacks because by the time Sony gets around to certifying it, the exclusivity period is already up.

Around the Network

MS- Hardware/First party studios
Sony - Advertising/ Not having Mass Effect series !
Nintendo - Does not appeal to adults / No in game Dolby Digital

Microsoft - Focusing too heavily on third parties, that's gonna hurt them in the long run I think..

Sony - Inability to quickly adapt to changing market conditions. Sony is too big to be agile. They are streamlining though which is good.

Nintendo - Not doing enough to get third parties on board, not keeping the promise of the WiiConnect24 service, not growing their first party development staff for the next generation.

@disolitude: Nintendo have always been at the cutting edge of technology, this generation, it just hasn't been in the traditional sense.

Sony needs to up their advertising bit time, create compelling bundles everywhere.

Microsoft needs to acquire more first part studios thus creating more first party games and put a damn blu-ray drive in their systems, theyd be just about perfect if they did that.

Nintendo needs more mature experiences and learn how to not alienate third party developers, figure out why really good 3rd party games dont sell well.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE  PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

dirkd2323 said:
MS- Hardware/First party studios
Sony - Advertising/ Not having Mass Effect series !
Nintendo - Does not appeal to adults aged 18 - 24 / No in game Dolby Digital

Thought I'd fix that seeing as Wii's average player age is higher than the other consoles :)

Sony - huge losses made so far
MS - company image and first party studio's
Nintendo - risking losing hardcore nintendo fans wich are the only loyal buyers you have.. people who got the Wii will not think about getting nintendo's next system automatically..

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.