By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

ioi said:
Hapimeses said:

No offense taken.

As I said, I have no problems with adverts, but I do have problems with adverts I must interact with. This site has many, many adverts. I already have to be inconvenienced by them (although, if correctly targetted at me, they are far less of an inconvenience). However, if you are telling me that I will also have to deal with pop-ups that crawl onto my screen and cover content, or, worse, take my entire screen and demand I interact with them, then I do have an issue, and I will leave. I have no issues with pop-ups covering existing banners and the like (Kotaku do this frequently, for example), but full-page pop-ups, or the crawling ones really, really annoy, especially if I have to interact with them.

Also, what other select sites do with their adverts does not impact my opinion. I only care about the sites I visit. If I have to interact with adverts to visit your site, I'll simply go elsewhere.

Yes, I know I'm only one man, and I'll be in a minority, but I wouldn't be leaving as a form of protest, I'd be doing it because your site would no longer appeal to me as it once did. The content may interest me here, but I have no desire to click through adverts to access it; and I certainly won't pay to access an advert free version of it. Yes, I'm interested, but I'm not that interested.

To turn this back onto you then - how do you expect a website like VGChartz to provide a service to you without paying for it in some way? If you're unwilling to pay directly and unwilling to accept the ads that are offered to you (except of course in the situations where they are malicious or cause a serious problem which is totally understandable) then how do you expect a site to run? As I've already stated, this isn't an issue that just affects VGChartz but just about every site out there.

Onto ads specifically, Kotaku has ads that expand out over the top area, Gamespot, Gamepro and IGN have prestitial ads that take you to a new page, IGN and 1up have takeover ads which actually take over the entire screen and stop you from browsing the site. My point is that we are doing nothing atypical here that you won't find on any major site.

On a side note, you mention popups that crawl onto the screen - I'm not really sure what you mean by this?

Double post... Check the second post below.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Too many pages to read so sorry if this has already been discussed, but my main issue with ads in general is something that I know many of you longer term users like myself and I'm sure ioi is fully aware of; viruses.

Numerous times THIS site as well as others throughout the interwebz have given users viruses from the ads that are simply pushed through the site by whatever company is used for supplying the ads.

I have in the past been an active donater to this site when the paypal donate button was active, if it were active I'd use it annually.

I have also used the amazon widget to buy products because I knew this site gained funds from it.

But, I will not open my computer up to potentially being attacked by viruses from ads that I would never follow or care about anyways.

I very much agree with this. Hey, I'd be more than happy to make donations (as long as they're not subscriptions), buy stuff through the amazon widget and such, but I honestly wouldn't like to expose my computer to potential attacks from malware, viruses or any such thing, just because of some ads that I'd never even be the least bit interested in, at all.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

If people using ad-blocker would never be interested or click on the ads in the first place why does it matter, either way that user generates no income?

ioi said:
Hapimeses said:

No offense taken.

As I said, I have no problems with adverts, but I do have problems with adverts I must interact with. This site has many, many adverts. I already have to be inconvenienced by them (although, if correctly targetted at me, they are far less of an inconvenience). However, if you are telling me that I will also have to deal with pop-ups that crawl onto my screen and cover content, or, worse, take my entire screen and demand I interact with them, then I do have an issue, and I will leave. I have no issues with pop-ups covering existing banners and the like (Kotaku do this frequently, for example), but full-page pop-ups, or the crawling ones really, really annoy, especially if I have to interact with them.

Also, what other select sites do with their adverts does not impact my opinion. I only care about the sites I visit. If I have to interact with adverts to visit your site, I'll simply go elsewhere.

Yes, I know I'm only one man, and I'll be in a minority, but I wouldn't be leaving as a form of protest, I'd be doing it because your site would no longer appeal to me as it once did. The content may interest me here, but I have no desire to click through adverts to access it; and I certainly won't pay to access an advert free version of it. Yes, I'm interested, but I'm not that interested.

To turn this back onto you then - how do you expect a website like VGChartz to provide a service to you without paying for it in some way? If you're unwilling to pay directly and unwilling to accept the ads that are offered to you (except of course in the situations where they are malicious or cause a serious problem which is totally understandable) then how do you expect a site to run? As I've already stated, this isn't an issue that just affects VGChartz but just about every site out there.

Onto ads specifically, Kotaku has ads that expand out over the top area, Gamespot, Gamepro and IGN have prestitial ads that take you to a new page, IGN and 1up have takeover ads which actually take over the entire screen and stop you from browsing the site. My point is that we are doing nothing atypical here that you won't find on any major site.

On a side note, you mention popups that crawl onto the screen - I'm not really sure what you mean by this?

I think you are conflating my issues with the issues of others here. I have no problems with adverts. I have no adblockers of which I am aware. I have problems with adverts I must interact with, or those crawl onto my screen and demand I click on them to get rid of them (I'll cover that issue in the next paragraph). So, adverts are not the problem for me, it's the type of advert that's the issue. Also, as I said, I'm not really bothered about what other sites do, I only care about the sites I visit. I visit here, so I care about what you do.

As for the adverts that crawl onto the screen: currently, for me, there are a bunch of adverts that scroll up from the bottom. On my small laptop at a low res, they are an absolute nightmare and cover a significant proportion of the screen until I close them (the hated interaction again -- I do not want to be forced to interact with the adverts; I am already forced to view them by dint that they are there, and that is enough for me. Interaction is a step too far). On my large laptop and desktop they are just a pain in the neck.

However, if forced interaction is the only direction you will accept for your adverts, that's fair enough. I won't be happy, but that matters little in the greater scheme of things.

llewdebkram said:

If people using ad-blocker would never be interested or click on the ads in the first place why does it matter, either way that user generates no income?

Dude, at least read the OP article.

Around the Network
ioi said:

Again, if you read the thread you'll see that losing people who use adblockers doesn't cost anything but reduces our bandwidth cost considerably so I don't see how it would end badly.

People who fall into your category whereby even after understanding the implications of your actions continue to have the same viewpoint are a pretty small minority thankfully. Most people care enough about the website and understand how it is funded to be more reasonable about the whole thing! As the article is titled "why ad blocking is devastating to the sites you love" - if you don't care about the site then you're not a great loss!

I care about the site rather less than I care about my own security. If you don't care about my security and can't guarantee that your site is malware free, then not coming here is not a great loss either. And if you think headlines like 'VGC bars users with adblockers' would be good for your site, then I'm frankly amazed.

Cheebee said:
superchunk said:
Too many pages to read so sorry if this has already been discussed, but my main issue with ads in general is something that I know many of you longer term users like myself and I'm sure ioi is fully aware of; viruses.

Numerous times THIS site as well as others throughout the interwebz have given users viruses from the ads that are simply pushed through the site by whatever company is used for supplying the ads.

I have in the past been an active donater to this site when the paypal donate button was active, if it were active I'd use it annually.

I have also used the amazon widget to buy products because I knew this site gained funds from it.

But, I will not open my computer up to potentially being attacked by viruses from ads that I would never follow or care about anyways.

I very much agree with this. Hey, I'd be more than happy to make donations (as long as they're not subscriptions), buy stuff through the amazon widget and such, but I honestly wouldn't like to expose my computer to potential attacks from malware, viruses or any such thing, just because of some ads that I'd never even be the least bit interested in, at all.

Yep, its very interesting to see that the tools we would like to use are either gone or increadibly hard to find from the front page. Yet, if promoted would probably generate just as much income as the ads I'd view.

superchunk said:
llewdebkram said:

Dude, at least read the OP article.

I have and still don't get it.

Does that mean when I visit a site with advertising the fact that the advert is displayed means the website is payed for it  being  on my screen even if I do not click on it or roll over it?

This also begs the question if I refresh the page 100 times so the ad is displayed again and again would the website be payed 100 times?

or does it mean the website can say we have X number of visitors that will see your ad, therefore pay us $x

Does anyone remember that really annoying Bioshock 2 Rollover ad from a few weeks ago.

[Sound of breaking glass]
"Rapture is a Body Delta" etc

frequently caused slow down and occasionally decided to run through its entire audio loop even tho I'd shut the ad down.

I dont mind ads per se but ROLLOVER ads should be banned.

Ads should be ideally unobtrusive.
I'll click on em if I'm interested. They should not activate because my mouse momentarily kissed the edge of the ROLLOVER zone for a nano second.

superchunk said:
Cheebee said:
superchunk said:

Yep, its very interesting to see that the tools we would like to use are either gone or increadibly hard to find from the front page. Yet, if promoted would probably generate just as much income as the ads I'd view.

Yeah totally. Why are those things either gone or hidden away, anyway? I'd be more than happy to contribute using such methods, if only they were available.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046