By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google to Build Fiber Optic Network Across United States

Google to Build Fiber Optic Network Across United States

Link: http://www.gamesonsmash.com/?p=15329

Google to Build Fiber Optic Network Across United States
Posted by eASTFLARE on March 5, 2010 at 8:43 pm in Tech News

A post by "Matt Lorne" http://www.gamesonsmash.com

To see more posts click here

Google seems to be on its way to world domination with its latest plan.

As you may have heard by now, Google will be holding a trial for locations across the United States that will offer internet speeds more then 100 times faster then most people will have ever experienced.

Google will be offering an internet speed of 1 gigabit per second at a competitive price to select communities in the U.S.
The trial will have at least 50,000 to potentially 500,000 people taking part in it.

Google has also said that it will make its fiber network open so customers will have a choice of service providers.

It makes you wonder what you could do with 1 gigabit per second when today’s high speed internet is already at a speed fast enough for what most people are doing on the web.

Google is taking a big step towards the future. Digital Distribution may be closer than you think!

Leave your comments below

Around the Network

mM

I want this in Minneapolis, we have 300,000 people can we has it?

jeez, and my speed is still half MB... im very outdated.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

"Competitive pricing" that roughly translates to, lifetime service for one soul, you get bonus protection once the Google Sky Net takes over the world.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

A gigabit

125MB per second

That's so much data I don't have the ability to really comprehend it. You could download a packed 40GB blu-ray's worth of data in a little over five minutes.

CommonMan said:
I want this in Minneapolis, we have 300,000 people can we has it?

Maybe Duluth can get some of it too :D

There was a time when a man said that 640kb was enough for anyone. Today we stand at computers with 2-4gb average. Technology when opened and is of ease to use will be occupied offering opportunities where there were none prior. With such massive ram in computers past 640kb we use Graphical User Interfaces rather than command prompt.

When the next data lines for the internet is laid down offering such bandwidth I assure you pioneers will fill that with a handful of years. Imagine that all HDTV is streamed to you computer. Imagine that there is no "cable lines" it's all internet lines, even if provided by the cable company.

I consider that we are running late on this technology and likely held back by conservative corporations. Similar to why CDMA is still kicking around strong in Canada :\ while a good portion of the cell phone world has moved on.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Good more options means lower prices.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Digital Distribution... Google will make it possible.