By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google to Build Fiber Optic Network Across United States

I heard about this at school in my CST class. Can't wait for those speeds!

Around the Network

yeah i heard this....they're actually thinking of putting it in my town

i hope its true, we need a competitor to up against comcast....their prices are ridiculous

I started making videos for youtube; check them out.

Contra (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_OdnbGgupM

Super C (No Deaths): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoJrHWATgU

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Mike Tyson TKO): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4L7oDV79aw

Systems owned: Atari 2600, NES(3), Top loader NES, Yobo NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Sega Gamegear, Sega Nomad, Sega Saturn, Nintendo 64, Gamecube, Playstation 2, Wii, PS3 (slim 120 GB), Wii U

You should congratulate me. I destroyed the vile red falcon and saved the universe. I consider myself a hero.

.jayderyu said:
There was a time when a man said that 640kb was enough for anyone. Today we stand at computers with 2-4gb average. Technology when opened and is of ease to use will be occupied offering opportunities where there were none prior. With such massive ram in computers past 640kb we use Graphical User Interfaces rather than command prompt.

When the next data lines for the internet is laid down offering such bandwidth I assure you pioneers will fill that with a handful of years. Imagine that all HDTV is streamed to you computer. Imagine that there is no "cable lines" it's all internet lines, even if provided by the cable company.

I consider that we are running late on this technology and likely held back by conservative corporations. Similar to why CDMA is still kicking around strong in Canada : while a good portion of the cell phone world has moved on.

That and just avoiding the issues interent speed that fast brings.

Think what happens if the ability to download a movie becomes analgous or video game becomes analgous to downloading a song.

Intellectual IP companies are going to harass IP companies and force them to impement much more stringent meausres on the average user adding most unrest between the consumer and IP provider, and causing more work for the IP provider.

What if IP providers are forced to hire people like companies do?  To watch everyones interent, or at least randomly selected peoples internet to make sure they aren't downloading anything IP Protected?

Now we only need faster Hard Drives to support that kind of speed...Current Hard Drives have an average of 40MB-60MB depending on the buffer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At some point, something must have come from nothing...

...nothing can come from nothing...

Khuutra said:
A gigabit

125MB per second

That's so much data I don't have the ability to really comprehend it. You could download a packed 40GB blu-ray's worth of data in a little over five minutes.

Except at a gigabit/second you'll have other bottelnecks that can't handle the data so you'll never achieve those rates. Granted if you have 4-5 PCs all downloading data you can take advantage of GbE.

Verizon is already offering Fiberoptic right to your door, so I really don't care about google doing it too. The only thing I hope for is $30/month for 15mbps/5mbps. Currently to get that it is ~$55/month which is too high. They'll give it to you for $45 if you sign a year long contract, and they'll give you another discount if you pay for their overpriced phone service.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Khuutra said:
A gigabit

125MB per second

That's so much data I don't have the ability to really comprehend it. You could download a packed 40GB blu-ray's worth of data in a little over five minutes.

Except at a gigabit/second you'll have other bottelnecks that can't handle the data so you'll never achieve those rates. Granted if you have 4-5 PCs all downloading data you can take advantage of GbE.

Verizon is already offering Fiberoptic right to your door, so I really don't care about google doing it too. The only thing I hope for is $30/month for 15mbps/5mbps. Currently to get that it is ~$55/month which is too high. They'll give it to you for $45 if you sign a year long contract, and they'll give you another discount if you pay for their overpriced phone service.

Listen, my connection already nabs like 10mbps/1mbps, and that feels pretty insane. I'm just saying, more than that? Really insane.

Back in 2004 I downloaded the high-res version of the direct-feed Twilight Princess reveal trailer. It was 90 megabytes. If I remember, it took about six hours. Nowadays I can do it faster than it takes me to get up, tell my wife I'm downloading a Zelda trailer, get a glass of water, and come back.

We already live in the future.

Hopefully this spreads further over the years. It takes forever for me to download HD videos, let alone games.

It's just that simple.

Sounds good to me. I wonder how much their services will cost monthly.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

it's gonna take years for computers and components to come out thast could even handle those speeds. stuff like faster harddrive read/write speeds, faster ram, faster wired/wireless connections (how fast is ethernet?), ect.

plus i cannot comprehend something that fast. that would support something like dozens/hundreds of people streaming hd video at the same time 0.0

EDIT: i guess you could run a website off of that kind of connection.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

They should try it first at universities mostly since Im at one =) Will make my normal wait for downloading a major game into just 5 sec instead of five minutes.

"Like you know"