By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - People that claim that Mario Kart Wii doesn't involve skill...

well whats skill to you exactly?

Around the Network

I'm sure it takes skill, but I can't get behind a racing game that punishes you for winning. Also, no hopping makes me sad.

The people who say the game is all luck and no skill are just using it as a cop out because THEY have no or little skill.

Like I said, I've won several games online. It's not simply about having the most speed, as that would be too easy. It is essentially an arcade racer, so you need to take into account the arcade elements like blue shells, stars, etc to strategize and win.

Besides, the longer you stay in first, the more likely you are to win anyway, because you tend to put more distance between yourself and the rest of the racers, as the people behind you all hit eachother with items while you are in the clear. Sure, you will probably get hit with a spike shell eventually, but if you are good enough, it usually shouldn't matter.

nordlead said:
MKWii only relies on luck and takes no skill.

I 2nd this

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

ps3-sales! said:
nordlead said:
MKWii only relies on luck and takes no skill.

I 2nd this

you 2nd sarcasm?

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Been a while since I've played MKWii. I've played Smokey once a while back, good times. Didn't realize so many other members of VGChartz were really skilled. Any chance we could get some games in Amp? TWRoO? Rol?

Oh and in regards to the topic, the people who claim the game takes no or very limited skill are hilarious. That's all i have to say.

How technical is your game?

I always stick a four leaf clover in my Wii Wheel when playing Mario Kart Wii

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

milkyjoe said:
Blue shells aren't unblockable... you need a turbo mushroom though...

Just a single mushroom does fine but chances of getting one when you are in first place is pretty slim. I've only had the chance twice and done it once.

I firmly agree with Amp. The, "I'm good but I keep keep losing in MK Wii, therefore it requries no skill.", is really tiring.  I got myself to 9999 points and the number of consecutive races you have to win in th end is just silly.  The amount of luck that would be required to get a VR of 9999, would defy all laws of mathematics.  In a race with a range of skill from noob to expert, the best person may not win every race but they will win 9/10.

Blue shells: Can decide a single race but only if the people are already fairly closely matched in that race.  If you are racing against people of similar skill then over several races everyone will get their fair share.  Racing in a close second place waiting for first place to get taken out by a blue shell can be a legitimate tactic, again unless you are racing against someone who is really good who will so litter the racing line with peels, shells etc. that you will inevitably hit something or lose the racing line and valuable time trying to avoid them.

I agree with Khan that the blue shell has become a bit of a spite weapon and I would be quite happy for it to revert to a ground based weapon that could hit everyone and actually help the person in last place gain some ground, rather than a "i'm losing, so $*&% you Mr-first-place."

In the end i've NEVER heard someone who is really good at the game complain that it's not skill-based.  If you are losing, firstly stop whining that someone who's put a couple of hundred hours into the game is beating you. Then be a man, own your suckiness, realise that you can't automatically be best at every game you play, pick a good bike, start practicing, learn the tracks, how to stay out of trouble, learn how to use and avoid the weapons and race online a shitload and unless you genuinely suck at games you will start winning.

I agree, it sometimes is frustating, but normally you have to try not to fall

I would compare it with poker.

A skilled player should win most of the time but sometimes that little bit of luck comes into it and you can get screwed over.

I'm not really good at the game because I hate the track design and so rarely play it.

I preferred the tight, twisting tracks of Super Mario Kart which is why it's still the best game of the series IMO.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron