By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF XIII to have the worst metacritic since 6

Final Fantasy is a downhill series. They must revitalize the series, take the turn based strategy (or the other one from FF V I don't remember the name), and kill those 100 hour cutscenes (to those who didin't notice, I know this isn't the real time of the cutscnes) that consume 90% of the game space, and make one gigantic world with new ideas. Oh, and without the afro guys that don't belong to a serie like Final Fantasy (no racism).

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network

I don't see how this affects the FFXIII fans much, if at all, unless they were waiting more for the reviews than the actual game

The problem is that many (not all) reviewers valued the elements that were removed in FFXIII and said the game will get real good but you'll have to play through 20-25hours of less good first.

Some personal opinions:

The WRPG genre has been really strong lately with Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Dragon Age to mention a few. Both JRPG's and WRPG's have fans that only like one genre but there are those that play both.

For those that only like WRPG's FFXIII will not be very attractive mostly because of the linearity.

Fans of JRPG's have a bigger chance of liking FFXIII but some of them may be turned of because of the lack of towns/exploration and the linearity of the first half of the game. Even some FF fans may have second thoughts because elements they loved in other FF games are missing.

The gamers who definitely love the game are those that are prefectly fine with linearity or prefer it. They don't mind the lack of towns. Some people hate towns. And, the game has a lot of focus on the story.

i dont care about reviews anymore, i just want to have this epic game.

I'm a Foreigner, and as such, i am grateful for everyone pointing out any mistakes in my english posted above - only this way i'll be able to improve. thank you!

JRPGs have been extremely lackluster this gen. Not that the developers aren't trying, but they haven't evolved in years and they look very poor compared to WRPGs.

Hopefully Persona can get some of that prestige back.

I can understand the reasoning behind the lower scores. FF13 is the most linear Final Fantasy in history. And by linear I'm talking about gameplay, not plot. As GameSpot mentioned, exploration is pretty much navigating straight through narrow corridors, not much to do outside of the main quest, etc. These things are bound to frustrate a lot of FF veterans who enjoyed the non-linear aspects of FF7-FFXII. And according to GS, character skill development is also pretty linear too. Apparently there aren't too many branches on that skill board or whatever they call it. GameSpot was very fair in their assessment of FF13, they just docked it points for the extremely linear gameplay. So they gave it a 8.5 (not much higher than the metacritic average).

Critic scores aren't that important anyway. What I do find irritating is when critics do a poor job of actually writing the review. Now that I have a rental subscription, I don't have to worry so much about this though because I can just try out games at little cost to myself.

Around the Network

WRPGs rule nowadays... I am more hyped for another Oblivion or Fallout game. Dont get me wrong, I will buy FFXIII on day one but games like Fallout 3 have made my desire for JRPGs to decrease.

Well...reviewers aren't what they were anymore.

wtf? FF6 is the lowest? Fuck Metacritic. thats one of the best games ever.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I don't give a hoot about critics nowadays.

I think the game looks brilliant.

FF6 doesn 't have metascore because they is no data that 's why i am saying since 6