By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXIII Comparison

Lafiel said:

@ Rainbird)

well, I do notice jaggies playing it on my PS3 in 1080p (which the game luckily supports) and I saw the image is a little bit blurrier on the 360 side and the jaggies a bit more pronounced, but you probably won't notice that if you only play the 360 version/ don't see both versions side-by-side .. the difference is minimal in my opinion

the blocking of the video however is a big issue from my perspective (as a movie lover)

True, the only thing 360-only owners should concern themselves with are the videos and the hair (I'm hating that more and more )

Around the Network
aragod said:

Well here is PS3's payback for Bayonetta... if they only took the time to develop properly...

EDIT: Saw the videos, it's pretty noticable even from such a low bitrate, quiete huge difference in quality.

perhaps, but haven't they managed to patch Bayonetta PS3?

I heard it was almost on par with the X360 version now.

i wonder if they could patch the X360 version of FFXIII in a similar fashion.

depends how good this analysis is - perhaps its not as clear-cut as it seems, like the "SuperWhite" settings shout-out when some PS3 ports get a bad rap lol

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Spankey said:
aragod said:

Well here is PS3's payback for Bayonetta... if they only took the time to develop properly...

EDIT: Saw the videos, it's pretty noticable even from such a low bitrate, quiete huge difference in quality.

perhaps, but haven't they managed to patch Bayonetta PS3?

I heard it was almost on par with the X360 version now.

i wonder if they could patch the X360 version of FFXIII in a similar fashion.

depends how good this analysis is - perhaps its not as clear-cut as it seems, like the "SuperWhite" settings shout-out when some PS3 ports get a bad rap lol

You're not going to find a more indepth analysis than this, trust me when I say that Digital Foundry knows their shit

And Bayonetta recieved a patch to allow for an install, which should just reduce loading. I haven't heard of anything else in regards to that patch.

@ Spankey )

well, you can't patch the CGs

and the Bayonetta patch afaik mainly improved loading times and didn't do much to framerates and textures and so on - the game still is clearly better on the 360

Lafiel said:

@ Spankey )

well, you can't patch the CGs

and the Bayonetta patch afaik mainly improved loading times and didn't do much to framerates and textures and so on - the game still is clearly better on the 360

+@Rainbird

i was just trying to be a glass-half-full type of guy

the evidence does seem to be a bit damning on this one

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Interesting...

so the performance difference has more to do with inept SE programmers than hardware limitations... i.e. very lazy port.

That's always been the case.  Both the PS3/360 are pretty even and have lots of horsepower.   The issue is some (well, fanboys) always take the poor port as a chance to slam the console.  Bayonetta on PS3, plus early PS3 ports, were all down to the programming.  This is the same - well, and some bad encoding as well which is less common.

Clearly, given the PS3 suffered the most from this early on we're going to see a lot of 'shoe on the other foot' responses with this.

Not that I'm condoning that, but I figure a lot of PS3 fans who've been ragged on their console as being inferior due to developers weak ports and unwillingness to put in enough time to do the job right are going to think payback on this one.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

posted already http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=102957

aragod said:

No, No, No the 360 version of FFXIII only has some visual shortcomings, when it comes to gameplay the two games are exactly the same. Bayonetta's HUGE shortcoming was that gameplay was significantly affected by the bad porting job, especially the pause to load every time you sneeze.

I was a big advocate of boycotting Bayonetta on PS3 to show Sega / Sony that really substandard ports are no longer tolerable. Now that Sony (and Sega?) have done the right thing with the patch I'm looking forward to the PS3 version of Bayonetta being as successful in the west as the 360 version. If I was a 360 only owner I would not be advocating any sort of boycott for FFXIII.

By comparison to the PS3 Bayonetta port (unpatched) the FFXIII 360 port is a very good job. Not perfect but creditable. There's no way the respective versions were ever going to be absolutely identical, S-E set up false expectations there.

A 360 owner's experience of the game isn't going to be much different from a PS3 owner's. The same could not be said for Bayonetta, although it can now by all accounts.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:
kowenicki said:
Interesting...

so the performance difference has more to do with inept SE programmers than hardware limitations... i.e. very lazy port.

That's always been the case.  Both the PS3/360 are pretty even and have lots of horsepower.   The issue is some (well, fanboys) always take the poor port as a chance to slam the console.  Bayonetta on PS3, plus early PS3 ports, were all down to the programming.  This is the same - well, and some bad encoding as well which is less common.

Clearly, given the PS3 suffered the most from this early on we're going to see a lot of 'shoe on the other foot' responses with this.

Not that I'm condoning that, but I figure a lot of PS3 fans who've been ragged on their console as being inferior due to developers weak ports and unwillingness to put in enough time to do the job right are going to think payback on this one.

Well as long as thats how it pans out thats fine...  bad (lazy) ports was always the problem with the PS3 version imo.

But lets not have it now that its suddenly weak hardware when it is the 360 version that gets the shabby port.

Quite the opposite is true up untill now its been considered the PS3 has worse hardware and it was nothing to do with shoddy ports, not so much here but certainly the comments on Eurogamer, i think PS3 has shown in the last year with games like Uncharted and Heavy Rain that it has more than enough grunt, it has always been sloppy ports. IMO most likely due to time constraints. 

The article is so full of ish!!!

If the 360 version is inferior then why is it rated higher on metacritic??? :O