By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Toys 'R ' Us Sunday Wii MADNESS

Ok, imagine this. If the amount of Wii consoles sold by TRU alone just today is 50,000 (a reasonable guess at this point) and that each person buys 3 pieces of software. That's 150,000 titles (actually it's 200,000 if we count Wii Sports, which I believe is what happens). I know from being at TRU at opening today lots of people were buying more than 3, lots of people bought 6 titles each. And then add in all the people who have already owned Wii's taking part in this B2G1F promotion. And the number of people who already bought Galaxy earlier in the week. What kind ofg software numbers are we gonna get just from TRU alone?

Now add to that that we know Target, Wally World, and Gamestop have all have big Wii console numbers in this week as well, and are pretty sure they are getting crazy amounts for Black Friday......

Now here's another question: What does something like this TRU promo do to the attachment rate? New owners starting off with 4 to 7 titles. From day one. Existing Wii owners adding on in increments of 3. Is this a blip enough to affect the attachment rate? These are going to be really crazy hardware and software numbers, and who is even going to be able to estimate them? does anyone get TRU numbers now that NPD won't be?

Madness 

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

My copy of Super Mario Galaxy was the second to last and I got the first Umbrella Chronicles just as they were putting them out in the case.

When does Mario Kart Wii come out? Next year?

radioioRobert said:

Now add to that that we know Target, Wally World, and Gamestop have all have big Wii console numbers in this week as well, and they are getting crazy amounts for Black Friday......

Do we know that? That would be interesting. About Black Friday, Bod posted the following:

Let's just say the whole electronics department staff flipped a lid when we saw how many Wiis we were getting for Black Friday.

But have you read anything which said that other retailers also had lots of Wiis this week?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Only on the VG Chartz forums. This week I saw a post where someone said the GS they shop at got 30-something instead of the normal 3-5. And other posts referenced increased amounts at Wally World & Target, though there were not specific amounts listed. Does anyone on the forum work at any of these stores that could give some insight?

BAM! There it is!

I know my local game store (an independent chain) has been getting calls every 15 minutes about if they have any Wiis or not.

Around the Network

I went to TRU at around 2ish today to try out the promotion deal. The store was practically out of all the major games or only had a couple left. This was in the case in the back and not display units out front too so it definitely sold out for a lot of software.

I was going to pick up RE:UC and a couple other games but since I had just bought galaxy and Fire emblem, there wasn't all that many games I was as interested in.

Hardware/Software predictions for this week anyone? Should we start a seperate thread or do it here?

BAM! There it is!

Have there ever been promotions of this type before where an entire chain of stores has been picked clean of games before?

From the "I'm a Toys R Us Employee Thread" posted by Bodhesatva a few minutes ago...

"We got 118 Wiis to sell this morning, and all of these Wiis were sold immediately. I am not entirely sure if all of these were "tagged" by the time we opened (meaning, someone was already there just waiting to check out) or if it was 10-15 minutes after we opened, but regardless, by the time we had checked the first 110 people out, the last 8 were already called for.

The games were just as bad: it's easier to list what games I have left than to list what games I don't. Many of the people buying systems bought 6-9 games. Many people came in after them to buy more. I'm out of all these games, for sure:

Super Mario Galaxy
Guitar Hero III
Dance Dance Revolution
Zelda:TP
Metroid Prime
Need for Speed: Pro Street
Battalion Wars
Medal of Honor: Heroes 2
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Smarty Pants
Rayman: Raving Rabbids 2
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Naruto: Clash of the Ninja Revolution
MySims
Sims 2: Castaway
EA Playground
Carnival Games
MLB Power Pros
Mario Strikers Charged

I'm probably missing some, but we had some of each of these and sold out of all of those, just today, before 5 PM. I hope that gives you an idea of what happened at my store this morning. It was chaos."

BAM! There it is!

I got into TRU at around 2. I was able to pick up Super Paper Mario, MOH2 and Zack & Wiki. They were pretty much cleaned out of the other good titles.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078