By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 passes two sales milestones since Slim came on the scene

Just so we are clear about the context of the discussion this is for JAPAN sales only.

Throughout its life in Japan PS3's LTD sales curve has been playing footsies with that of Nintendo's Game Cube. Of the consoles VGC tracks the Game Cube was the worst performing console out of all the consoles made by both Sony and Nintendo, worst performing by some margin; until, that is, the PS3 came along. Immediately prior to Slim launching PS3's LTD sales were below that of the Game Cube.

Immediately after slim launched PS3's LTD sales curve got a nitro boost and it left GC's sales curve behind, and in a mere 8 weeks it went from being behind GC's LTD sales curve to surpassing GC's total life time sales. Never again will Sony face the possibility of the stigma of PS3 being the lowest selling home-grown gaming console between these two giants of the modern gaming era. For another generation at least that dubious distinction belongs to Nintendo (no offence intended to the inherent quality of the GC or the games it produced).

But lets face it, achieving the status of not being the wooden spooner in the trans-generational console wars isn't much to celebrate. It is just an historical point to mark.

However what of the gaming consoles that enjoyed what one would consider moderately successful sales? PS3's next mark on the sales map in Japan is surely the N64. N64 was no PS/PS2/SNES or Wii that's for sure, by the standards of those 4 consoles N64 is still a relative failure. But it found it's place in the hearts of a pretty respectable number of Japanese gamers to the extent that no one can rightly call it a failed console. So to cement its place in the realms of respectability PS3 needs to cross the N64 barrier. And cross it it has.

PS3's end of 2009 nitro boost saw it's sales curve surge ahead of the GC and start rapidly closing in on the sales curve of N64. A mere 4 weeks ago PS3 was at the crossing point where LTD sales were fractionally behind N64's, but at T minus 3 weeks, for the first time ever, PS3 LTD sales surpassed that of the N64, and for the last few weeks PS3 sales in Japan have seen that sales curve continue to fractionally increase the distance between PS3 LTD and N64 LTD.

It's not possible to say yet that PS3 is going to leave N64 in its wake. But in terms of how history will judge PS3's generation, and where PS3 was sitting in the historical context a mere 4 months ago, being on N64's race track instead of GC's is a pretty big deal. Personally, I think PS3 has one more (albeit much smaller than the Slim) nitro boost left in the tank before its race is run. This should see PS3 pull well and truly clear of N64.

I don't know how (or whether it's possible) to embed the LTD sales graphs, but for a graphical representation:

heres the link to the PS3/N64/GC since launch graph

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=N64&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=GC&reg3=Japan&weeks=300

PS3 won't get to race with the big boys though. By comparison to them it looks like a midget trying to run against giants. PS3 vs SNES and PS1 http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS&reg1=Japan&cons2=PS3&reg2=Japan&cons3=SNES&reg3=Japan&weeks=300

PS, SNES and PS2 are only going to let Wii on their race track, though unless Wii has another nitro boost or 2 of it's own it looks like it might have had a few bad gear changes. It's still racing, but it's fallen behind a bit recently and needs to find the right gear. Wii vs PS and SNES.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS&reg1=Japan&cons2=Wii&reg2=Japan&cons3=SNES&reg3=Japan&weeks=300

When we're talking about sales, one can't ignore profitability. So I won't, but I'm not going to let it completely spoil the achievements PS3 has made in the last few months too much. When it comes to profitability a lot of the shine gets taken off the PS3, there's no denying it.  Let's acknowledge this fact, but on this occasion I prefer to accentuate the positive and sideline the negative (can't eliminate it unfortunately).

Applying sporting analogies as I like to do: for PS3 this generation is looking to be the very definition of a game of 2 halves.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

curious to see how GC/N64 were dying and PS3 is rising at the same point in it's life

great analysis

GT5 & VErsus XIII should help things too

possible a MH game down the line!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Big difference, GCN and N64 were not black holes of money, PS3 is

Money falls into its swirling maw, but no chance of ever breaking even

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

I'd rather be broke than dead.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Sony is closer to death than Nintendo ever will be, even though Nintendo is always doomed in the eyes of the industry

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Sony is nowhere near dead

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Avinash_Tyagi said:
psrock said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Sony is closer to death than Nintendo ever will be, even though Nintendo is always doomed in the eyes of the industry

I will move on if Sony died, it's just a company.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
leatherhat said:

Maybe not, but Nintendo is in far better position

Avinash_Tyagi said:
leatherhat said:

Maybe not, but Nintendo is in far better position

Uhhh... frankly anyone not in the red is in a far better position than Sony in regards to Playstation 3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)