By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's up with Peggle's reviews?

MontanaHatchet said:
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Atma, why did you compile that list? It doesn't mean anything, especially when users can vote how they want and say whatever they want.

So? Isnt that true for both sides? Isnt that true for critics also? I can't wait to see your answer to those two questions Montana.

I should have emphasized that there's no regulation. Reviews have to be checked, regulated, and approved. They're held to a certain standard of quality, even if you don't approve of that standard. With user reviews, someone who has never played even a second of a game could leave a score and a couple of words and have it there in the database. Why do you think that LittleBigPlanet's score is so abnormally low (as an example)? It certainly has nothing to do with quality or reception by users, since it has an active online community as well as positive reception from gaming sites and strong word of mouth (although you wouldn't know any of this since you only play Nintendo consoles). The only reasonable explanation is that people are rating it down because it's a highly hyped and loved PS3 exclusive. But then again, you have a similar case with Uncharted 2, and that has a strong average for user reviews. So an even more likely conclusion is that the user scores don't mean jack shit, and bringing them up in the first place was pointless.

And please, cut the condescending bullshit. Having to put up with your crappy arguments is bad enough.

While you were attempting to answer my second question, you proved yourself totally incapable to answer the first one. Worst you contradicted yourself by trying to explain LittleBigPlanet horrible userscore (being a ''highly hyped and loved PS3 exclusive'') when you spoke of Uncharted 2.

If you're saying user scores means nothing then you should be consequent with yourself and admit that metascore doesnt mean anything either. And just in case you didnt find out yet I DO think that either user score or metascore doesnt mean anything, sales do.

As for the condescending bullshit I'm sorry but I don't have a clue of what you're talking about. 

Around the Network
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Atma, why did you compile that list? It doesn't mean anything, especially when users can vote how they want and say whatever they want.

So? Isnt that true for both sides? Isnt that true for critics also? I can't wait to see your answer to those two questions Montana.

I should have emphasized that there's no regulation. Reviews have to be checked, regulated, and approved. They're held to a certain standard of quality, even if you don't approve of that standard. With user reviews, someone who has never played even a second of a game could leave a score and a couple of words and have it there in the database. Why do you think that LittleBigPlanet's score is so abnormally low (as an example)? It certainly has nothing to do with quality or reception by users, since it has an active online community as well as positive reception from gaming sites and strong word of mouth (although you wouldn't know any of this since you only play Nintendo consoles). The only reasonable explanation is that people are rating it down because it's a highly hyped and loved PS3 exclusive. But then again, you have a similar case with Uncharted 2, and that has a strong average for user reviews. So an even more likely conclusion is that the user scores don't mean jack shit, and bringing them up in the first place was pointless.

And please, cut the condescending bullshit. Having to put up with your crappy arguments is bad enough.

While you were attempting to answer my second question, you proved yourself totally incapable to answer the first one. Worst you contradicted yourself by trying to explain LittleBigPlanet horrible userscore (being a ''highly hyped and loved PS3 exclusive'') when you spoke of Uncharted 2.

If you're saying user scores means nothing then you should be consequent with yourself and admit that metascore doesnt mean anything either. And just in case you didnt find out yet I DO think that either user score or metascore doesnt mean anything, sales do.

As for the condescending bullshit I'm sorry but I don't have a clue of what you're talking about. 

Yeah, exactly. I did contradict myself, leading up to my final point that user scores don't really matter. I can read back more than a couple lines in my own post. And by the way, I'm not saying any metric of quality is perfect. The Metascore isn't perfect, and neither are the reviewers that contribute to it. However, it's still a lot better of a measure than user reviews (which have no regulation or measure of quality). I could write "This game is a piece of crap" and give it the lowest score possible, and on most sites, it would be accepted. So you can hate on reviewers all you want, but trying to discredit them using user scores is incredibly idiotic. And if you're saying that review scores don't matter in the long run towards the sales success of a game, you'd have been proven right by every leading console so far. But if you're saying that the quality of a game is decided by its sales, well....God, I hope you're not saying that.

And if you want to know what I mean by condescending bullshit, I'm referring to you calling a bunch of people fanboys. Or did you think your slick little edit would hide that? Nice moves, Atma. I mean, for the love of fuck dude, there is no helping you. I've talked to you several times now, telling you that you shouldn't be baited into arguments with Superenforcer, and that you should troll the HD consoles less. But you know what? You continue to do those things. It's in your nature. You love Nintendo, and you hate the HD consoles. You feel the need to fight for Nintendo, and frankly, I don't understand it. It's kind of sad. The difference is, at least Superenforcer sticks to the weekly charts most of the time. You have to bring your crap to the forums as well. 

MontanaHatchet said:
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Yeah, exactly. I did contradict myself, leading up to my final point that user scores don't really matter. I can read back more than a couple lines in my own post. And by the way, I'm not saying any metric of quality is perfect. The Metascore isn't perfect, and neither are the reviewers that contribute to it. However, it's still a lot better of a measure than user reviews (which have no regulation or measure of quality). I could write "This game is a piece of crap" and give it the lowest score possible, and on most sites, it would be accepted. So you can hate on reviewers all you want, but trying to discredit them using user scores is incredibly idiotic. And if you're saying that review scores don't matter in the long run towards the sales success of a game, you'd have been proven right by every leading console so far. But if you're saying that the quality of a game is decided by its sales, well....God, I hope you're not saying that.

And if you want to know what I mean by condescending bullshit, I'm referring to you calling a bunch of people fanboys. Or did you think your slick little edit would hide that? Nice moves, Atma. I mean, for the love of fuck dude, there is no helping you. I've talked to you several times now, telling you that you shouldn't be baited into arguments with Superenforcer, and that you should troll the HD consoles less. But you know what? You continue to do those things. It's in your nature. You love Nintendo, and you hate the HD consoles. You feel the need to fight for Nintendo, and frankly, I don't understand it. It's kind of sad. The difference is, at least Superenforcer sticks to the weekly charts most of the time. You have to bring your crap to the forums as well. 

OKay lol now you're going too far dude. True, I edited my first post because I didnt want to get misunderstood. When I said that it was time to stop acting like ''sighless supporters'' I didnt want to stick this expression to anyone specifically, I was just trying to bring the debate above the fanboyish discussions, something YOU have some difficulty to understand. Now I don't know who you are or who you think you are and I don't really care but you doesnt know a fuck about me so stop trying to act like if you did. Just for your information I'm a proud owner of a PS1 and a PS2 and I just didnt buy a PS3 because the games library didnt fit my gaming taste so far and I don't have any time to play all my games on my DS and my Wii. Each time you try to argue with me it's the same f**ing thing, at some point you doesnt anything to answer and you're going into personnal attacks. I don't feel the need to fight for anyone, I'm just pointing some truth. Now if you don't agree fine, but you should try to bring some SOLID arguments instead, something you werent able to do since the beggining of our discussion. I could say things like you love Sony and hate Nintendo and blablabla but I won't go there because it's just so stupid and useless.

And just to clarify some points, critics AND user scores are subjectives and thus doesnt mean anything. Sales on the other hand ARE objectives. Like it or not, but what is really sad for you is that we're on a sales site.

If you're going to answer me, please try to do it without any personnal attacks...

d21lewis said:

Aaaah, Peggle. My 360 has been gone since early February and it just came back, today. It was a happy reunion, but one thought made my blood run cold. I have to play Peggle, tonight. You see, at first, I loved Peggle. I LOVED it. So I showed my girlfriend how to play. And from that point on, Peggle has haunted my nights. No matter what blockbuster game I planned to play with my sometimes limited gaming time, my girlfriend will always make me stop and play Peggle.

I now HATE Peggle.

About an hour ago, I was playing my 360. My girlfriend didn't even notice that it was back (she was gone when UPS delivered it and I hid the shipping box in my closet). She just found the plastic bag that it came in (I ALWAYS leave evidence and she ALWAYS finds it).

"Oh, we're gonna play some Peggle, tonight!", she just yelled.

And she's right. We will play some Peggle tonight. No force in this galaxy will stop this from happening. So, while I would have given Peggle a 9.5 out of 10 back when I bought it, my opinion of Peggle has changed a lot.

It's an amazing coincidence that this thread was on the front page when she said that but every word I type is 100% true. I am not smiling, now.

*edit*

I'll be damned.  She went to bed without wanting to play.  I'm worried!

It makes perfect sense now. The reviewers have no girlfriends!

atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Users don't necessarily have to back up their scores with any kind of reasoning which can then be examined and criticized. With professional critics, one, if so inclinded, could read the positive and negative reviews for a game and determine which makes more sense to them.

The numerical score never mattered, and calling a game over-rated is simply your opinion, and if your basing it on numbers you pulled from metacritic(especially ones with no given reasoning), instead of your own experience with the game, then guess what?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
atma998 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Users don't necessarily have to back up their scores with any kind of reasoning which can then be examined and criticized. With professional critics, one, if so inclinded, could read the positive and negative reviews for a game and determine which makes more sense to them.

The numerical score never mattered, and calling a game over-rated is simply your opinion, and if your basing it on numbers you pulled from metacritic(especially ones with no given reasoning), instead of your own experience with the game, then guess what?

I totally agree with you, but the point is that users doesnt exclusively give bad reviews to PS3 games only and like I said before, those critics doesnt mean anything for me. I'm the only one who can judge if a game is good for me or not and I won't let a ''professional reviewer'' tell me what is good and what is bad.

Peggle is amazing so the better reviews the happier I am!

This topic has wandered away, allow me to assist in resetting it:

@Atma,

If you want to keep making your point with the list above you need to express explicitly what relevance it has to the peggle scores mentioned in the OP. Either make a point related to the specific topic of peggle review scores or drop the issue altogether.

@Those replying to atma,

Reply via substance or not at all. If you believe his argument is baseless then you can either substantively show why or simply ignore him.

This is the internet, not everyone is going to agree, and lots of people hold terribly flawed opinions. It is not your job to correct them all and the ones you do decide to correct on this website will be corrected without the use of belligerent commentary. Period.

To Each Man, Responsibility