By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Mazty said:
milkyjoe said:
Did he really just use LBP's physics as an example of great power? Haha. The platforming is so floaty and imprecise, and the funny thing is, it's that way because of the online mode. It compensates for lag. There's no such compensation in a Mario game though, and you could land yourself on a penny with ease. In LBP it would be more luck than anything else.

So in effect, the console being a powerhouse capable of great online feats has caused the game to be cut back from what it might be, whereas the console that didn't go for the online mode has the perfect platforming. Funny isn't it?

I'm sorry how are you measuring their physics, with your imaginary physics measuring tool kit?
I've never had lag online so no idea what you are on about and last I checked the physics was there because it makes a lot of work with it whether it's blasting you on a rocket or blowing up something. There's no online mode in Mario - end of.

Do you have any proof it has your floaty physics engine because of lag or that just speculation wrapped to look like fact? As for perfect platforming, I hardly think making a game which wouldn't have been out of place 15 years ago constitutes as perfect.

Again, about 12 million people disagree with you. The gamers have spoken: New Super Mario Bros. is better than LBP.

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
Mazty said:
milkyjoe said:
Did he really just use LBP's physics as an example of great power? Haha. The platforming is so floaty and imprecise, and the funny thing is, it's that way because of the online mode. It compensates for lag. There's no such compensation in a Mario game though, and you could land yourself on a penny with ease. In LBP it would be more luck than anything else.

So in effect, the console being a powerhouse capable of great online feats has caused the game to be cut back from what it might be, whereas the console that didn't go for the online mode has the perfect platforming. Funny isn't it?

I'm sorry how are you measuring their physics, with your imaginary physics measuring tool kit?
I've never had lag online so no idea what you are on about and last I checked the physics was there because it makes a lot of work with it whether it's blasting you on a rocket or blowing up something. There's no online mode in Mario - end of.

Do you have any proof it has your floaty physics engine because of lag or that just speculation wrapped to look like fact? As for perfect platforming, I hardly think making a game which wouldn't have been out of place 15 years ago constitutes as perfect.

Again, about 12 million people disagree with you. The gamers have spoken: New Super Mario Bros. is better than LBP.

Because?

Since when did sales mean that a game is by default good & it's not fanboys getting one off over their favourite fanchise? Not to mention do you have a demograph of who bought it because by gamers you could be saying "12 million kids bought it", and last I checked a kid didn't know the difference in quality between steak and playdo.

Mazty said:

Because?

Since when did sales mean that a game is by default good & it's not fanboys getting one off over their favourite fanchise? Not to mention do you have a demograph of who bought it because by gamers you could be saying "12 million kids bought it", and last I checked a kid didn't know the difference in quality between steak and playdo.

Traditionally spekaing, children who are into video games tend to be among the most discerning when it comes to the qualities that appeals to them - but it should go without saying that, since NSMBWii looks to go on to double or triple the sales of Mario Galaxy, that its appeal extends far beyond people who will buy a game just because it is Mario.

But you hold an interesting (and valid) point that appeal can't be used as an absolute metric of quality, but it brings up a more inteesting problem in that nothing is an absolute metric of quality. Now, following that, does it not stands to reason that you may not have the perspective necessary to comment on the quality of the Wii's library?

I don't even know why I'm posting here. O yeah, post count...

Anyway, back on topic: I don't even get these guys. . .

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!
Khuutra said:
Mazty said:

Because?

Traditionally spekaing, children who are into video games tend to be among the most discerning when it comes to the qualities that appeals to them - but it should go without saying that, since NSMBWii looks to go on to double or triple the sales of Mario Galaxy, that its appeal extends far beyond people who will buy a game just because it is Mario.

But you hold an interesting (and valid) point that appeal can't be used as an absolute metric of quality, but it brings up a more inteesting problem in that nothing is an absolute metric of quality. Now, following that, does it not stands to reason that you may not have the perspective necessary to comment on the quality of the Wii's library?

I've played the games and have been playing games for over a decade - I feel that you can logically break down what makes a game good or not. For example NSMBW is good, for kids, but I'd argue that maybe LBP is better, as it offers more functions that children may find fun, such as making your own level and online play.
A tech point of view is easy enough to talk about, but I think to break a game into how is it good you have to look at what does the game do, who does it appeal to and  essentially are there better games out their that appeal to the same people but have more to offer.
As a further example someone could agrue Killzone2 is better than MW2, BUT essentially they may not relate to the same audience as the pace is very different, however some things remain fundamental to gaming, such as most gamers do not enjoy having no control other their death, whether it is due to glitches or poor level design. It is in that sense I think you can relatively compare games of roughly the same genre to determine if one is better than another, or if a game is simply good or not.

Around the Network
Mazty said:

I've played the games and have been playing games for over a decade - I feel that you can logically break down what makes a game good or not. For example NSMBW is good, for kids, but I'd argue that maybe LBP is better, as it offers more functions that children may find fun, such as making your own level and online play.

A tech point of view is easy enough to talk about, but I think to break a game into how is it good you have to look at  if it is good at all, who does it appeal to, and the final essential point; are there better games out their that appeal to the same people but have more to offer.

As a further example someone could agrue Killzone2 is better than MW2, BUT essentially they may not relate to the same audience as the pace is very different, however some things remain fundamental to gaming, such as most gamers do not enjoy having no control other their death, whether it is due to glitches or poor level design. It is in that sense I think you can relatively compare games of roughly the same genre to determine if one is better than another, or if a game is simply good or not.

That's a very interesting perspective, but let me ask you this: is it not also possible that these games have different qualities that appeal to different people? If people enjoy local multiplayer built around interactions with dynamic environments and AI-controlled enemies in a sidescrolling game, wouldn't New Super Mario Bros Wii be better for that person than Little Big Planet? Keep in mind that I'm including the point of AI-controlled enemies here for a reason, since it's the primary differentiating point between them. Though, I suppose one could argue that World 8 in NSMBWii has more dynamic environments than anything I've played in Little Big Planet.

Khuutra said:
Mazty said:

A tech point of view is easy enough to talk about, but I think to break a game into how is it good you have to look at  if it is good at all, who does it appeal to, and the final essential point; are there better games out their that appeal to the same people but have more to offer.

That's a very interesting perspective, but let me ask you this: is it not also possible that these games have different qualities that appeal to different people? If people enjoy local multiplayer built around interactions with dynamic environments and AI-controlled enemies in a sidescrolling game, wouldn't New Super Mario Bros Wii be better for that person than Little Big Planet? Keep in mind that I'm including the point of AI-controlled enemies here for a reason, since it's the primary differentiating point between them. Though, I suppose one could argue that World 8 in NSMBWii has more dynamic environments than anything I've played in Little Big Planet.

Very true that local multiplayer is something that is rare to find in games and may be a good selling point of the game, but personally what I played of NSMBW it just didn't seem like a quality title - the levels etc seemed to be just ported straight from the SNES with a few moderations. Still I can see how it would appeal to young kids, especially ones who have friends around etc though I'd still say as far as quality goes, it's nothing new or nothing special, which is a shame, but thinking about what you said that doesn't necessarily make it unenjoyable.

I think NSMBW simply does what it is meant to do, which is a simple 2d scrolling platform, but that's nothing new; not bad, just not new. This is where I get confused when people talk about it, players and reviewers, as if it's the best platformer ever, when I'd say it's adequate, but some similar games offer more enjoyable features depending on what you want to do, as with quite a few Wii games.

So this is what I got out of reading some of these post. Wii 3rd party games are all shovel ware that sold more than a million. You do know if you ask a lot of those people that bought them would say? What do you mean they are fun games that me and my family/friends love to play. Then they would just tell you to shut up if you kept giving your reasons.

True gamers only play or soon will only play xbox/ps3. Well, I have played video games all my life. I assume that puts me in the real gamer section. I have owned/still own(2 different atari's, Nes, Snes, Sega Master system, N64, ps1,ps2,Gamecube, Wii. GB, GBC, GBA, DS, Gamegear and a couple random things with a few games on them. I have to many games to care to count. My choices this Gen are D.S. and the Wii. I like some of its "niche" titles its 1st party games, some of its 3rd party, and some of the Wiiware. They get used almost daily. A lot by me a lot from parties we have where people enjoy playing the Wii and drinking/having fun. I have yet to hear anyone say man I wish the Wii had more graphics or more mature games.

Anyways, people choose the games and systems to have fun. No such label works for any of them. If you like ps3/xbox great you made the right choice for you. Same as I feel I have made the right choice for me. And yes I myself enjoy some of these "casual" games.

Mazty said:

Very true that local multiplayer is something that is rare to find in games and may be a good selling point of the game, but personally what I played of NSMBW it just didn't seem like a quality title - the levels etc seemed to be just ported straight from the SNES with a few moderations. Still I can see how it would appeal to young kids, especially ones who have friends around etc though I'd still say as far as quality goes, it's nothing new or nothing special, which is a shame, but thinking about what you said that doesn't necessarily make it unenjoyable.

I think NSMBW simply does what it is meant to do, which is a simple 2d scrolling platform, but that's nothing new; not bad, just not new. This is where I get confused when people talk about it, players and reviewers, as if it's the best platformer ever, when I'd say it's adequate, but some similar games offer more enjoyable features depending on what you want to do, as with quite a few Wii games.

Now your experiences with the game are genuine, I acknowledge that, and trying ot impress upon you the qualities of the game would be counter-productive in more ways than one. But - and this is an important "but" - does it not stand to reason that, since you don't agree with the qualities that other people see in it, that they may have different value metrics altogether?

Like - suppose they hold World 8 in NSMBWii as pretty much the best platforming world in any game, ever, because of how it uses environments and enemies and lava and shit. Suppose you say to them, "There are games that have much more features tha just well-designed levels," and they say, "Yeah, but who cares about that stuff?"

Are the people who say that wrong for saying it?

Mazty said:
Viper1 said:

Do you know what an introduction is?   Now imagine buying a book a few years after fir publication but the introduction is missing and replaced with anotehr chapter from the middle of the story instead.

Point is, it's bundled to this day for a very valid reason.  It works like an introduction to gesture based gaming for Wii.  Is that an understandable reason for you?

What kind of brain dead idiot needs an introduction to "move your hand, it generally moves with it".

Plus thats a BS excuse, otherwise the PS3 and 360 would be bundled with simple games to "introduce" people to gaming, not the likes of Gears of War and Uncharted 2. Oh wait, that's what a tutorial is for.

This is an ironic answer given you have noted before the casual nature of many Wii owners.  

Mazty said:
Viper1 said:

Oh my. 

You know, it's not bundled in Japan.  And how does that relate given the bundling of the original Mario Brothers game on the NES?

I'm sorry man but all your points are blunt.   You act as though only your ideology of video games and what they constitute as is the only concept that is correct or that should exist.

Enjoy your games and all that but keep the eletist ideologies out. 

And you know it's not sold just in Japan....

Gaming has come along way since the NES era so totally irrelvant point - back then people were happy to pay £50 for a game that lasted 3 hours.

I hardly think it is elitest to insist on improvement with every generation and hope that consoles sell due to quality, not clever marketting.

And apparently they are pretty happy paying $60 for a game that last not much longer today.  But you're going to be so ignorant to assume game length has significantly increased over the generations or that such a notion is even relevant to quality then we've stumbled upon a failure of quality assessment on your behalf unrivaled by many before.

It is not elitist to look forward to technological advancements with each incremental generation.  What is elitist is your insistence that technological increase be the only means which a new generation should be born or that only core games attain respectable sales or even be considered video games at all.  It is elitist to to demand your own ideology be dmoninant above all.

I wish I could say it was only a matter of ignorance but ignorance suggests a capacity to learn and understand whilst it's quite obvious you have no intent whatsoever to remove yourself from your personal perceptions and gain an expanded knowledge regarding the expanded audience and the industry we support.

The rEVOLution is not being televised